Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 6:42 pm

Hey!
I have this Zotac Mini ITX machine which I am now using for a TV recording streaming server.
It works brilliantly. I just schedule recordings on it and I just turn it on in the morning and turn it off at night.I have it setup so it streams to other computers, devices and consoles round the house which works nicely.
Is there anything else I could be using it for at the same time?
Maybe Folding@Home?
What do you think?
PS:
Heres my specs:
40 GB HDD (Im going to upgrade this to 500)
1GB of DDR2 ram
Intel Atom x2 @ 1.6 Ghz
I used to use it as my secondary work machine, but now I have a quad core beast that does all that stuff much quicker! :lol:

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 6:01 am

My home NAS has a partition for each member of the family and a shared partition for photographs, document sharing etc - the private partitions are also used for regular rsync backups. It runs Mediatomb to serve music to the internet radio, TV and mobile phones. It has a small cron job to check GMail for photographs sent from my phone, which it uploads to my website.

largosan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Sep 2012, 5:41 pm

My friend runs a simple file server, accessible via either a VPN or his dorm network.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 7:14 pm

i use mine as a secure vpn hub, it consists of a proliant g4 server running ESXi,
it allows me to remotely connect to the office where i manage IT and to any other endpoints on the company network.

it also allows me to have all ym essential programs on hand as long as there is internet.

usually i only use it for buisness while at home, though i do keep my financials on it as well.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 8:04 pm

I have a server that does FTP, HTTP, PS3 Media Server, TVersity, Samsung PC Share, Subsonic, Printer Server, File Server, and sometimes Media Center. The current box is a Gateway Intel P4 2.00Ghz 640MB of ram 3Com 10/100Mbps Card ATI Radeon 9600SE. I don't remember the Hard Drives. I eventually want to upgrade it to an AMD Athlon X2 4200+

JockGitJnr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Sep 2012, 1:34 pm

My server is placed behind my TV so it is mainly used for internet access or streaming movies while in the living room. It also has use as a file server and backing up files. If I have friends round it also gets used to play music while we chill.

sliqua-jcooter
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2012, 9:00 pm

Mine is: a DHCP master server, an authoritative and recursive DNS server, HTTP server, yum repository, File Server (Samba, NFS, AFP), Kerberos KDC, Minecraft/UT2k4, and it's a render node for a super secret project I'm working on.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2012, 9:57 pm

i just got another proliant g4 server,

wonering what to do with it, not enough storage to be used for pure media sharing and direct playback as is, could be managed, i would need a graphics card capable of full 1080p playback, anyone know of a cheap pci graphics card capable of that?

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.