When is it the best time to get a person's contact info?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

chrisc0295
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Sep 2012, 7:22 pm

I have always wondered when it is the best time to get a person's contact info (email, cell number, facebook, myspace etc)? I know it's when I get to know the person better, but I would like to know when it's considered appropriate. Like what length of time?

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 7:26 pm

it varies. offer to give them yours to feel out the situation. if they take your info and use it, then you can ask for theirs.

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 10:31 pm

Most recent case for me is: She asked for my phone number and I obliged, and then she gave me hers.
Other times, I would have to say straight up, if you are interested, just ask. They only have two possible answers to give you.

glasstoria
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Sep 2012, 10:55 pm

I think it depends on the social setting. For instance, if you are in a class with someone, you can basically plan on seeing them for the entire semester, so I would give it time and not rush to get contact info.

Compared to, say, meeting someone at a concert or event, where you might not meet again. In that case I think you would want to offer your contact info, facebook or whatever you are most comfortable sharing with someone you've just met.

If it is something inbetween those two, like you both shop at the same store or get coffee at the same place every day and just happen to run into each other, I would give it at least five times and start small, like saying Hi, Thank you, commenting on the weather and then work up to offering your info.