Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Sep 2012, 12:19 pm

i am learning Java from here -> http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/ ... class.html and I am finding the tutorial to be a bit vague! I am having a hard time with grasping the concepts. Maybe someone has a better tutorial. I have zero OO experiance besides GTK, and a bit of python.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 12:33 pm

Try searching for "thenewboston" on YouTube. Be sure to see the beginner's tutorials first. :)

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Sep 2012, 12:40 pm

Kurgan wrote:
Try searching for "thenewboston" on YouTube. Be sure to see the beginner's tutorials first. :)

I like text tutorials. I don't like the video ones. I have heard good things about thenewboston vids though. Just not for me. I'm more of a reader. Thanks

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 1:04 pm

http://www.leepoint.net/notes-java/index.html

Learn console programming before you jump into GUIs, though.

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Sep 2012, 1:24 pm

Kurgan wrote:
http://www.leepoint.net/notes-java/index.html

Learn console programming before you jump into GUIs, though.

With a statement like that; If I didn't know any better, I would say you knew me lol actually I am going to start with the basics of OO. I need to learn about objects, polymorphism, etc. What they are and how they apply. Then I can move on to console programilming.

I have to admit, I did just want to jump into GUI programming. Wouldn't have gotten anywhere in the long run though.

EDIT: I will check your link out later. I'm in my back yard shooting arrows. Love archery!

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Sep 2012, 2:55 pm

Wow Kurgan, thank you so much!! That link you gave me is awesome! I really appreciate it!!

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 3:18 pm

amboxer21 wrote:
Wow Kurgan, thank you so much!! That link you gave me is awesome! I really appreciate it!!

You're welcome. :) Good luck with your programming.

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Sep 2012, 6:28 pm

Java can't be any harder than C, GTK, NASM, or Awk. Especially since I have a purpose for learning it anyway. Right? I think it will be fun though! I've been wanting to learn a new language anyway! Thanks again!

Evinceo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Sep 2012, 10:52 am

I'd recommend learning to write basic Imperative stuff before you hit the OO, but since you know python you're probably past that. All I can suggest is that when you try to teach yourself OOP, make sure you're project maps easily to objects-a game is a great example-so you can learn good object design and not just how to make a class.

(Java's GUI library works really well, but to use it you will end up writing some bizzare code. They insist on using listener objects everywhere, and unless you know the wierd tricks of Java's class system, you'll be writing a lot of extra classes. The textbook I used in a Java class used anonymous classes as listeners, basically begging for first class functions.)

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Sep 2012, 12:59 pm

Evinceo wrote:
I'd recommend learning to write basic Imperative stuff before you hit the OO, but since you know python you're probably past that. All I can suggest is that when you try to teach yourself OOP, make sure you're project maps easily to objects-a game is a great example-so you can learn good object design and not just how to make a class.

(Java's GUI library works really well, but to use it you will end up writing some bizzare code. They insist on using listener objects everywhere, and unless you know the wierd tricks of Java's class system, you'll be writing a lot of extra classes. The textbook I used in a Java class used anonymous classes as listeners, basically begging for first class functions.)

Yeah, ive figured that out lol I am hitting the basic stuff like loops and flow control. I covered the import thing. Which I found to be very interesting!! There are a few ways to import packages. With the aterisk, full path imports, and implicitly inside the classes.

So, I could either do
import javax.swing.*; or javax.swing.JOptionPane; or when using a function from JOptionPane like showMessageDialog i could implicitly declare it like so, javax.swing.JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "Java GUI.");. This language is great!

I don't know much Python. Just the basics. I never got into OO. I learned the Python basics to use PyGTK but it turns out that it is super ugly and the programs are longer than GTK. I am a C native and GTK looks so much cleaner and is much shorter. So, I stoped using python. I had no need for it. Although, i have to say, sockets in python are awesome! Vesus the very tedious C sockets. Writing a chat in C is so much longer, error prone, and uglier than Python sockets. Python makes writing a select server easier!

What you have said about Java has intimidated me! You make it seem like its going to be a super long journey lol I hope it comes easy!

Tomatoes
Toucan
Toucan

15 Sep 2012, 2:21 am

A class is a C struct with the functions that operate on that struct. It's like doing oop in C. You put functions pointers in your struct and change the pointers for inheritance.
Java is similar to C++. But it's not a serious language if you want to do serious things with it.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 8:37 am

Tomatoes wrote:
A class is a C struct with the functions that operate on that struct. It's like doing oop in C. You put functions pointers in your struct and change the pointers for inheritance.
Java is similar to C++. But it's not a serious language if you want to do serious things with it.

despite a third of the web running on it, with everything from financials to internal company programs.(dunno if it really is a third, but saying java isnt for serious stuff is like saying a car isnt for driving, now what car you need depends on what you do and how much time you have to do it in,)

i just learned of codeacademy and it is basically khan academy for java and python, i learned python the hard way, with the article by a similar name, from what i tried codeacademy does a brilliant job of teaching and motivating you to learn more, got enough

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Sep 2012, 9:59 am

Oodain wrote:
Tomatoes wrote:

despite a third of the web running on it, with everything from financials to internal company programs.(dunno if it really is a third, but saying java isnt for serious stuff is like saying a car isnt for driving, now what car you need depends on what you do and how much time you have to do it in,)

i just learned of codeacademy and it is basically khan academy for java and python, i learned python the hard way, with the article by a similar name, from what i tried codeacademy does a brilliant job of teaching and motivating you to learn more, got enough

I wasnt aware codeacademy taught Java. I know they teach JavaScript.