both 48%  48%  [ 31 ]
neither 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
not diagnosed/unsure/NT/don't want to vote only see results 23%  23%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 65

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 10:03 pm

Both, although I wasn't entirely aware that my own expressions are limited until I started seeing psychologists/iatrists. I had been told a few times that my voice was "monotone" in past years but that was the extent of it. Doctors commonly use the phrase 'flat affect, makes statements in matter-of-fact style' to describe me. This has been a point of difficulty in my treatment. I have significant problems with depression and OCD, however, when asked about those topics, my tonality and expression does not reflect the expected requisite gravitas of those topics. Evidently I talk about self harm in much the same way I talk about what I ate for supper the previous evening.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 10:11 pm

I really prefer listening to people speak in monotone voices. I really dislike varitone voices, eggspecially the voice that people use to talk to children.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 12:24 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
I really prefer listening to people speak in monotone voices. I really dislike varitone voices, eggspecially the voice that people use to talk to children.

That's interesting......yes the "child" or "baby" voice can be annoying. I do have a varitoned voice though.....and changes in tone of voice don't annoy me.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 4:07 pm

My non-verbal expression is pretty much normal, but I am horrible at reading the non-verbal cues of others. I simply cannot see subtle social cues and I often wrongly percieve tone of voice, thinking people are angry when they are not.

Tamsin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Sep 2012, 5:16 pm

I checked neither, though that wasn't always true. For some reason I had very little trouble reading nonverbals in others, but wasn't aware of them in myself until about two years ago. I never understood why people asked me if I was depressed, but I now realize it's because of my nonverbals. I still have to intensely focus on the messages I am sending out.

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 8:55 pm

Both, and it seems to be the same for people with me. really annoygin when people ask me, are you sad? are you mad? and im like wtf?. So i cant read others and it seems im broken as well lol.

Why is it that when some people talk, they are moving their hands all over the place, that is something i find kinda disturbing, the other day i was out running, i almost got hit by someone because he was flapping his arms all over the place while talking to a girl.

i dont get it, i dont move my hands when im talking, unless im point at some object. like see that tree.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 9:00 pm

loner1984 wrote:
Why is it that when some people talk, they are moving their hands all over the place, that is something i find kinda disturbing, the other day i was out running, i almost got hit by someone because he was flapping his arms all over the place while talking to a girl.

:lol: I guess non-verbal expression can occasionally be dangerous! I've never thought of that.

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 10:02 pm

Mostly expression. I think I can interpret others' expressions alright if I try to, on TV and such. In real life I don't because I don't look at or think about people while interacting with them. But I have little non-verbal expression. Monotone voice, everyone thinks I'm depressed even when I'm happy, my facial expression is pretty constant, etc.

Or maybe it's both and I'm just oblivious, I don't know. :shrug: