Do people ask you for money extremely often?

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

15 Sep 2012, 10:56 pm

No because my cloths & grooming resembles a beggar more than they resemble someone with money. People have occasionally asked me for drugs or if I wanted to buy drugs thou

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

largosan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Sep 2012, 11:47 pm

People who know me know that I always have a little pocket money, and sometimes ask for a dollar or two. I refuse them, which is how I manage to buy small items(invariably cheap sodas) when I want them.

Once, a guy asked me for a nickel in an Ohio turnpike plaza, saying that was how much he was going to be short that much on his toll. I am not certain that he really needed it, or if he wanted me to take out my wallet so he could grab it and run, but I was counting out change for a vending machine at the time, so I handed him a nickel, and he left me alone.

scruffyx
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Nov 2018, 1:22 am

I need to be better on saying no to money requests. I feel gullible after finding out I'd not get paid back a supposed loan or that they were a crappy person.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2018, 1:57 am

Yes. :lol: It's because asking for stuff is more or less of a joke from where I live.

On a serious side, I don't give in. I almost never give in.
I don't borrow or have others lend my money unless either I or the other have the means to pay back less than few hours or change.
I'd likely give things than let someone borrow. I don't like it if I have to hold my breath on it.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

25 Nov 2018, 7:20 am

Bums or people acting like bums occasionally ask me for money but I always say No. My girlfriend's sister ask to borrow money every month. I loan to her but she eventually pays me back only to borrow again a couple weeks latter. She's terrible at managing her money.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2018, 11:42 am

Sometimes they ask for $$

Several times a day, usually they ask for cigarettes and drugs and a light :mrgreen:

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2018, 11:59 am

Uprising wrote:
Family members, strangers, friends, street musicians, beggars, vendors, homeless people?

Are you seen by people as an easy target for money asking?

I'm talking about people asking you for money without giving something valuable in return what concerns material stuff but see your deed as very respectable and humble for example.

Do you give it to them easily?

If I can help, I help. My ability to help financially is limited as Social Security is my only income, but I help whenever I can.
It makes me happy.

"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of selfishness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared, if there were someone to receive their gift. But because beings do not know, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they eat without having given. The stain of selfishness overcomes their minds."
Siddhartha Gautama; the Buddha

"Just practice good, do good for others, without thinking of making yourself known so that you may gain reward. Really bring benefit to others, gaining nothing for yourself. This is the primary requisite for breaking free of attachments to the Self."
Eihei Dogen zengi

"If you see that other people are suffering, and you're in a position to help, you focus not on their karmic past but your karmic opportunity in the present."
Thanissaro Bhikkhu

“Our job is to love others without stopping to inquire whether or not they are worthy. That is not our business and, in fact, it is nobody's business. What we are asked to do is to love, and this love itself will render both ourselves and our neighbors worthy.”
Thomas Merton

"What actions are most excellent?
To gladden the heart of a human being, To feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, To lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the wrongs of the injured."
the prophet Muhammad

"Let the man who has two coats give one to the man who has none; and let the man who has food share it with others."
Jesus of Nazareth

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2018, 2:49 pm

Piobaire wrote:
Uprising wrote:
Family members, strangers, friends, street musicians, beggars, vendors, homeless people?

Are you seen by people as an easy target for money asking?

I'm talking about people asking you for money without giving something valuable in return what concerns material stuff but see your deed as very respectable and humble for example.

Do you give it to them easily?

If I can help, I help. My ability to help financially is limited as Social Security is my only income, but I help whenever I can.
It makes me happy.

"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of selfishness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared, if there were someone to receive their gift. But because beings do not know, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they eat without having given. The stain of selfishness overcomes their minds."
Siddhartha Gautama; the Buddha

"Just practice good, do good for others, without thinking of making yourself known so that you may gain reward. Really bring benefit to others, gaining nothing for yourself. This is the primary requisite for breaking free of attachments to the Self."
Eihei Dogen zengi

"If you see that other people are suffering, and you're in a position to help, you focus not on their karmic past but your karmic opportunity in the present."
Thanissaro Bhikkhu

“Our job is to love others without stopping to inquire whether or not they are worthy. That is not our business and, in fact, it is nobody's business. What we are asked to do is to love, and this love itself will render both ourselves and our neighbors worthy.”
Thomas Merton

"What actions are most excellent?
To gladden the heart of a human being, To feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, To lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the wrongs of the injured."
the prophet Muhammad

"Let the man who has two coats give one to the man who has none; and let the man who has food share it with others."
Jesus of Nazareth

Exactly. :heart: