Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

GumbyLives
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 12:09 am

I'm trying to understand the difference between tourettes and stimming. I have ASD, and I do stim like with hand rubbing and rocking and such. But sometimes I do face stuff when I'm under a lot of stress or in a loud environment, too. Like blinking, squeezing my eyes shut and sniffing, grimacing in a twitch-like manner, etc., all fairly quickly and repeatedly until I'm out of the loud environment, need to hide it because I'm around unsupportive peopled, or out of big stress again.

Is this just different stimming, or is it tourettes kicking in at times too?

Your Aspie score: 155 of 200 * Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 49 of 200 * You are very likely an Aspie

idratherbeatree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Sep 2012, 12:18 am

Stimming:

-Voluntary
-Feels Good/Relieves Anxiety
-Often Rhythmic (Rocking, pacing, etc)
-Can last seconds to hours.

Tics:

-Involuntary (however can be Suppressed, I'd compare it to blinking.)
-Response to negative feeling. (There is a felt "need" to tic which goes away after performing the action.)
-Non Rhytmic.
-Individual tics are very short. (A tic lasting 5 seconds would be very rare)

Interestingly enough, when I stim, I tic less.

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 2:01 am

^^What they said.

However, my bf has tourette's and he tics more when he's stressed out. Even more comical is when we're both stressed out, and in a room together and while he's a ticing mess, I'm a stimming mess.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 6:01 pm

idratherbeatree wrote:
Stimming:

-Voluntary

Nope. Not accurate.

Quote:

Not always. Often not.

A more accurate description of "stimming" can be found here: http://everything2.com/title/stim

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

SirMixlom
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Sep 2012, 7:54 am

idratherbeatree wrote:
Stimming:

-Voluntary
-Often Rhythmic (Rocking, pacing, etc)
-Can last seconds to hours.

Tics:

-Involuntary (however can be Suppressed, I'd compare it to blinking.)
-Response to negative feeling. (There is a felt "need" to tic which goes away after performing the action.)
-Non Rhytmic.
-Individual tics are very short. (A tic lasting 5 seconds would be very rare)

Interestingly enough, when I stim, I tic less.

This is interesting because I have TS too and when I stim I tic far less (and it can almost make them go away).

idratherbeatree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Sep 2012, 1:00 pm

I wonder if the tendency in autistic people with tourettes stimming to stop tics is reflective of the state of focus, or if it's a dopamine reaction?

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Sep 2012, 3:09 pm

I don't stim (at least I think I don't), but I do have Tourette's. I wonder if the Tourette's acts as a stim. Tics are paradoxically distressing and stress-relieving for me...

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 4:33 pm

gretchyn wrote:
I wonder if the Tourette's acts as a stim. Tics are paradoxically distressing and stress-relieving for me...

They are still something different and it is very typical for tics to be that, because they are like "sneezing", you don't want to, but you have to and you feel better afterwards.

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Sep 2012, 5:43 pm

Raziel wrote:
gretchyn wrote:
I wonder if the Tourette's acts as a stim. Tics are paradoxically distressing and stress-relieving for me...

They are still something different and it is very typical for tics to be that, because they are like "sneezing", you don't want to, but you have to and you feel better afterwards.

I understand that they're different. :) What I'm wondering is if tics can be a replacement for stims. Do note, though, that in another thread I mentioned that I wish I had stims because I am wound up all the time and would like some relief. :? Are there others with tics and no stims?

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 1:56 pm

Raziel wrote:
gretchyn wrote:

...which isn't that different from my "stims."

Stimming is by no means "voluntary," it's just more controllable than tics. Tics and stims are different because they are caused by different neural circuitry.

**sigh**

Quote:

The repetitive and rhythmic mannerisms and activities common in autism and some other neurological conditions. Rocking, hand-flapping, etc.

These movements came to be referred to as self-stimulatory because people thought they existed to regulate sensory input or to create pleasant sensations, and were purely voluntary. While this is sometimes true, it leads stims to be confused with stereotyped movements. Stereotyped movements are not voluntary, although they may be suppressible. Nobody knows precisely why either kind of movement happens, and there is much overlap between the two. This kind of movement can also occur in blind or deaf people. When a blind person stims, it might be referred to as a blindism.

Some autistic people, particularly the ones who have so much difficulty controlling their movements that they have trouble engaging in other tasks, have become angered by the implication that they do these things on purpose because they like it
. Thus, they will not use the word stim or self-stimulatory behavior to describe such movements. Others will refer to some movements as stims and others as stereotypies depending on the apparent cause and purpose of the movement. Others will refer to any such movement as stimming.

Most autistic people, regardless of whether they like or control these movements, will have problems if they suppress them too long. They may become emotionally or physically tense, and be more prone to sensory or information overload. They may also experience a rebound effect where their bodies rebel and start stimming more violently than they ever did before. One result reported by autistic people and parents alike is an increase in self-injury when stims are forbidden.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2012, 3:14 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
Raziel wrote:
gretchyn wrote:

Stimming is by no means "voluntary," it's just more controllable than tics. Tics and stims are different because they are caused by different neural circuitry.

**sigh**

Quote:

The repetitive and rhythmic mannerisms and activities common in autism and some other neurological conditions. Rocking, hand-flapping, etc.

These movements came to be referred to as self-stimulatory because people thought they existed to regulate sensory input or to create pleasant sensations, and were purely voluntary. While this is sometimes true, it leads stims to be confused with stereotyped movements. Stereotyped movements are not voluntary, although they may be suppressible. Nobody knows precisely why either kind of movement happens, and there is much overlap between the two. This kind of movement can also occur in blind or deaf people. When a blind person stims, it might be referred to as a blindism.

Some autistic people, particularly the ones who have so much difficulty controlling their movements that they have trouble engaging in other tasks, have become angered by the implication that they do these things on purpose because they like it
. Thus, they will not use the word stim or self-stimulatory behavior to describe such movements. Others will refer to some movements as stims and others as stereotypies depending on the apparent cause and purpose of the movement. Others will refer to any such movement as stimming.

Most autistic people, regardless of whether they like or control these movements, will have problems if they suppress them too long. They may become emotionally or physically tense, and be more prone to sensory or information overload. They may also experience a rebound effect where their bodies rebel and start stimming more violently than they ever did before. One result reported by autistic people and parents alike is an increase in self-injury when stims are forbidden.

Yes, I understand that they are due to different neural circuitry. I am not suggesting that they are the same thing. I think no one is understanding what I mean....story of my life. Forget it. :roll:

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 9:28 pm

gretchyn wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
Raziel wrote:
gretchyn wrote:

**sigh**

Quote:

Yes, I understand that they are due to different neural circuitry. I am not suggesting that they are the same thing. I think no one is understanding what I mean....story of my life. Forget it. :roll:

Actually, I do.

I wasn't trying to be snarky.

My understanding is that tics are less rhythmic, less controllable, and are rarely if ever "enjoyable."

Even experts sometimes have a hard time distinguishing between tics and complex motor stereotypies. Simon Baron-Cohen's written some stuff on Tourettes that I've found helpful.

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Sep 2012, 12:06 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
gretchyn wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
Raziel wrote:
gretchyn wrote:

**sigh**

Quote:

Actually, I do.

I wasn't trying to be snarky.

My understanding is that tics are less rhythmic, less controllable, and are rarely if ever "enjoyable."

Even experts sometimes have a hard time distinguishing between tics and complex motor stereotypies. Simon Baron-Cohen's written some stuff on Tourettes that I've found helpful.

Thanks. Your response made me feel a little better. I have Tourette's. I can control my tics (except when I'm really stressed) and sort of save them up for later. Some of mine are (sometimes rhythmic) eye and arm movements, and grimacing. They do provide a release, which makes them somewhat enjoyable (like the earlier comparison to a sneeze), though I do not tic for enjoyment...I DID, as a child/teenager, have some specific tics (a mix of a squeal and a grimace, and double arm movements, whereas they're usually only on the right side) that I did only when I was happy. I'm rarely happy enough to make those tics anymore. Maybe those were stims and I mistook them for tics, since I knew I had Tourette's since I was 10, but didn't discover Asperger's until about 6 months ago.

My point is that although they are completely different mechanisms, stims and tics may serve a similar purpose, and someone with tics might not stim because they have relief/expression of joy/etc. from tics.

Edited to add: I will look up Baron-Cohen's research on Tourette's. I didn't know he studied that as well as Asperger's.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Sep 2012, 11:10 pm

I'm at least a little confused as to the difference between a tic & stim. Do tics have to be related to tourettes? I know tics can be part of tourettes but can touretts be stimming instead of tics? I think I'm confused as to what tics, stims & touretts are & how they are related & different :?

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

phyrehawke
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Sep 2012, 12:29 pm

Every once in awhile I get tics in my eyelids, mostly only when I'm under a great deal of stress when I've been working. Docs have called them blepharospasms I think? Nobody has ever made a connection between them and tourettes, but they have certainly been called a tic, and I've been told all sorts of things make them worse (stress, too much caffiene, too much chocolate, need of a vacation, lack of sleep, etc). I laughed about it when one eye doc was lecturing me because I had low stress home life, a fairly low stress job at the time, and I was having fun systemizing it. Looking back, if something was "causing" the tic, it was probably all the social interaction and some frustration with finding my boss roadblocking some of my systemization, and then we moved. I was masking my anxiety as best I could but it was leaking through in these annoying tics, and they really were uncontrollable in a way my little stims are not.
If I realize I'm rubbing my fingers or feet together or tapping, or whatever, I can make up my mind to sit still for awhile. I can let off steam later if it's more appropriate to do so later. I can't seem to make up my mind to make those tics stop when they do start, but I did try fiercely anyway because they get on my nerves. I don't find them the least bit soothing. And I had not noticed until just now that I have had no episodes with the eyelid tics since the docs put me on anticonvulsants, which don't seem to affect stims.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2012, 12:41 pm

phyrehawke wrote:
Every once in awhile I get tics in my eyelids, mostly only when I'm under a great deal of stress when I've been working. Docs have called them blepharospasms I think? Nobody has ever made a connection between them and tourettes, but they have certainly been called a tic, and I've been told all sorts of things make them worse (stress, too much caffiene, too much chocolate, need of a vacation, lack of sleep, etc).

Those aren't tics, it's a spasm of the muscle of the eye. I have it too, it's a pretty rare desease, just one in 20.000 people in the US have it, most of them caucation and especially older women. :lol:
They are also highly genetic.
And I have it too! 8O
:D

Spasms also get worse be stress and so on, nearly everything does.

edit:
Sorry, made a mistake in this posting and changed it. :oops:

Last edited by Raziel on 26 Sep 2012, 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.