Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

jimited
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Sep 2012, 5:13 am

I thought i didn't have any sensory issues, but then i realised i might of done the whole time, you see when im spraying furniture polish, fa-breeze or any aerosol air freshener my head becomes cloudy and i feel nauseous, pretty much the same feeling as motion sickness oh and also them vanilla magic tree things you get in cars make me feel the same, my sense of smell is pretty good and have smelt things that others couldnt, so i was wondering wcould this be classed as a sensory issue? I always put it down to allergy issues

OCD_Angel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Sep 2012, 5:47 am

I'm sure it's a sensory issue. I can't stand smelling perfume and other fragrances too. Some milder ones are okay, but the strong ones make me sick and irritated. I tried putting perfume on myself a few times (just the tiniest spray on my wrist) and I felt really horrible all day because the scent was constantly in my nose and throat and made me feel like throwing up.

I also feel horrid for about 2 days after coming out the salon because they like to use scented stuff on your hair and the smell won't wash off. And I also can smell smells other people can't. They always say I'm imagining it.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 7:46 am

jimited wrote:
I thought i didn't have any sensory issues, but then i realised i might of done the whole time, you see when im spraying furniture polish, fa-breeze or any aerosol air freshener my head becomes cloudy and i feel nauseous, pretty much the same feeling as motion sickness oh and also them vanilla magic tree things you get in cars make me feel the same, my sense of smell is pretty good and have smelt things that others couldnt, so i was wondering wcould this be classed as a sensory issue? I always put it down to allergy issues

I'm not saying you don't have sensory issues, but those sprays are toxic chemicals and the fact that's it airborne as well, means you're inhaling it and it's not doing you any good (maybe even a slight 'high'). That would go for anyone. I think you should try cream polishes and solid stick air fresheners instead. Even if you don't have sensory issues you are poisoning yourself. I use an all natural non-aerosol spray for cleaning, the only bleach I use is down the toilet and never use spray air fresheners - better to open the windows and get the air circulating. These manufacturers poison us to make money. (PS sorry to be niggly but you mispelled Febreze, I can't help noticing errors :oops: )

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

jimited
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Sep 2012, 10:25 am

whirlingmind wrote:
jimited wrote:

I'm not saying you don't have sensory issues, but those sprays are toxic chemicals and the fact that's it airborne as well, means you're inhaling it and it's not doing you any good (maybe even a slight 'high'). That would go for anyone. I think you should try cream polishes and solid stick air fresheners instead. Even if you don't have sensory issues you are poisoning yourself. I use an all natural non-aerosol spray for cleaning, the only bleach I use is down the toilet and never use spray air fresheners - better to open the windows and get the air circulating. These manufacturers poison us to make money. (PS sorry to be niggly but you mispelled Febreze, I can't help noticing errors :oops: )

Thats what i thought too but I also get the same feeling from shake n vac, window cleaner, anything that smells of vanilla (except ice cream) even new car smell and its the exact same feeling I get every time, even the magic tree air fresheners which are solid. As for bleach, disinfectant, spray cleaner and deodorants these do not do anything at all and I absolutely love the smell of bleach and disinfectant as it smells clean.

PS don't apologise for being niggly about my spelling as my spelling and punctuation can be appalling :oops:

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 7:06 pm

Shake n' Vac still gets airborne because it's a powder that you throw everywhere. Having said that, from your description of feeling like that from other smells it does sound as if you have sensitivity to smells.

Unpleasant (like dirty) smells make me dry-heave. I was thinking about a bad smell I'd smelled earlier in the day a few days ago, and I still dry-heaved just remembering it. I also gagged at someone's hairspray (they'd overdone it though) recently too.

Aspies do often notice smells a lot more than others.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 11:52 pm

Sensitivity to odors is one of my worst sensory issues.

Imagine my surprise to find out that not everybody gets breathless and goes into coughing and sneezing fits in the detergent/soap aisle of the grocery store. I've gotten a little relief with the introduction of liquid laundry a few year ago. Before that, like when I was a kid, it was TERRIBLE.

I can't wear any kind of airborne scent -- spray perfume and powders almost choke me. I do a little better with bath gels and lotions, but even then it has to be a natural food or flower scent. Aldehydes -- synthetic scents invented about 70 years ago -- drives me crazy with sneezing. Chanel No. 5 was the first to use it, and now such perfumes as Elizabeth Taylor's Passion and White Shoulders -- my mother's two favorite perfumes, alas. She kept telling that I was allergic to her. In a way, she's right. Men's colognes do me the same way. And that sucks because I LOVE the smell of many men's colognes. Fabric and craft stores are the same because of the dyes, paints, glues and dried flowers -- eucalyptus! ACK!

I can't be around tobacco smoke, burning tires, oil-smoking cars, diesel trucks, etc. because the smoke will kill my sinuses and I'm in bed for 3 days. Cleaners -- soaps, bleaches, detergent, Scrubbing Bubbles -- will do the same if I'm not careful. My mother always swore that the sensitivity was a ruse so I could get out of doing the cleaning.

Any kind of waste smell will get me to sneezing too -- garbage, dirty/wet diapers, grease, urine, old food from the fridge.

So...yeah, I guess you could say I have a sensitivity to smells.

Embertayle
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Sep 2012, 11:58 pm

Last week, I was in a meeting and the person sitting next to me had a trumpet in her bag.

The thing (or the oil used to clean it) had a horrid metallic smell. Absolutely awful.

I can't stand the smell of the scotcharoos my dad likes to buy either. It must be all the HFCS and other unnatural sludge they put in it. :hic:

icyfire4w5
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 3:03 am

I realize that air fresheners in cars usually make me dizzy.