Page 9 of 13 [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 9:12 pm

I remember VCRs, although I am not astonished at the idea that 'modern' kids don't really know about them. Mainly it's because they haven't lived long enough to know many things yet or have been exposed to it, not because they are unable to or that they might have gadgets that would be considered fantastical 20 years ago. I didn't know about the common tech of the 70s (8-Tracks) until I was a bit older (maybe 14-15) but that was because most people didn't keep the stuff around or that it was stored away once the 'newer and better' stuff (cassette tapes) came out.

If their parents kept one out and used it, the kid would know about it as well as anyone older who grew up with the technology when it was more common. If I had kids and a phonograph, the kids would know about the phonograph as well as anyone who was around when they were more widely used (late 1800s.)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 9:16 pm

as a child of the 60s and 70s I was exposed to 78 rpm phonograph recordings and got to hear an acoustic 78 rpm phonograph in action.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2014, 6:26 am

I like to consider myself a VHS child. 8)

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2014, 7:37 am

I stumbled across a VHS while going through some boxes the other day. I know the content and do not want to throw it out, but I'm not interested enough to pursue getting it transferred to digital either. I do still have some cassette tapes that one day I may (or may not) care enough about to digitize them.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2014, 4:13 pm

I thought it was a marvel that one could watch a TV show after the show was actually shown. In 1981, there was no such thing as a "video store" like Blockbuster. By 1983, they were ubiquitous.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2014, 4:17 pm

what I have found to be the case, is that whenever a given technology is on the verge of obsolescence, last minute breakthroughs render it in a perfected mode, almost like a last gasp. for example, the last 8-tracks sold incorporated a tangle-free technology which also greatly improved the playability of the cartridge. new high-bias tape formulations and dolby B noise reduction rendered the sound quality very close to open reel quality. VHS at the last had a quasi high-band mode which gave it 400 lines of resolution and greatly improved noise performance. compact cassettes were all using dolby S noise reduction [Dolby's condition for S licensure was improved heads and improved tape handling performance/low wow and flutter] and high-bias also, with results equal to open reel. Phillips, in another last gasp attempt to lengthen the lifespan of cassette tape technology, introduced the Digital Compact Cassette which was backwards compatible with older analog cassettes, it had excellent CD-quality sound and was recordable to boot, alas, it was all too late.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2014, 12:17 am

I wished I had video tapes of shows I watched in the 70s.

advertisingfan123
Raven
Raven

14 Feb 2018, 7:37 pm

Oh my gosh, I had hundreds, maybe even a THOUSAND VHS tapes when I was young. Nearly every Disney movie and kids movie you could think of, as well as a few obscure direct-to-video titles like Annabelle's Wish and some Italian Ali Baba cartoon.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 7:42 pm

Who remembers what an 8-track tape player is?

Who remembers what a "portable record player" looks like.

VCR's were absolutely the cutting edge when I was an adolescent/young adult.

LittleCoyoteKat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 8:59 pm

We still have some. Some are movies, some are home videos of birthday parties or family gatherings. I have a DVD/VHS player, but I'm not too sure if it works anymore.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 9:06 pm

It became much easier to program a VCR in the 90s. You had to go through many steps in the 80s.

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Feb 2018, 9:09 pm

I’m 17 and I know what they are. I grew up on vhs until around 2008. Ah nostalgia... :)

Feel free to message me if you want

Please understand that everything I write should be read with a grain of salt because I frequently adjust my views based on new information (just read a description of INTP that should explain better than I)

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

14 Feb 2018, 9:19 pm

I do. :D I used them a lot during the late 1990s-late 2000s decade.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 11:45 pm

I seem to have been one of the early adopters of DVD-R/RAM which was the Oughts replacement for VHS video tape. I saw my first home video recorder, an original sony Betamax I, in 1975, at a Seattle Uwajimayas store, it was playing a video recording of a Japanese cooking class. I was hooked when I saw it, didn't get to have one for meself until 1984.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 12:40 am

it was the main way i watched movies at home until we adopted dvds in the mid 2000s.

more recently i've bought vhs tapes just to have a cheap and easy way to see a particular movie i couldn't otherwise find. i have more tapes now then i did five years ago. places like alpha thrift are bursting at the seams with 'em, they practically paid me to take them off their hands.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 1:12 am

wonder if anybody here remembers wire [audio] recorders? or sound recorders that recorded sound on 16mm movie film? or Kodak high-fi 8mm instant movie film?