Page 2 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Have you ever had a paranormal experiance?
Yes 58%  58%  [ 51 ]
No 42%  42%  [ 37 ]
Total votes : 88

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 3:24 am

Fnord wrote:
Okay, I'll post this here and then abandon the thread...

<* AHEM *>

There is no valid, empirical, and objective evidence to support any claim of paranormal or psychic abilities or experience. It's all subjective, and open to interpretation. Anyone who claims otherwise is invited to take the "James Randi Challenge" and win one million U.S. dollars if they succeed in demonstrating their abilities.
James Randi wrote:
At JREF, we offer a one-million-dollar prize to anyone who can show, under proper observing conditions, evidence of any paranormal, supernatural, or occult power or event. The JREF does not involve itself in the testing procedure, other than helping to design the protocol and approving the conditions under which a test will take place. All tests are designed with the participation and approval of the applicant. In most cases, the applicant will be asked to perform a relatively simple preliminary test of the claim, which if successful, will be followed by the formal test. Preliminary tests are usually conducted by associates of the JREF at the site where the applicant lives. Upon success in the preliminary testing process, the "applicant" becomes a "claimant." To date, no one has passed the preliminary tests.

Do you believe in dark matter?

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 3:36 am

I used to live in a house where a family died in before we moved in. A little boy, and a mother and father. The little boy died in my closet, not sure where the mother and father died... Well, lots of weird stuff happened in that house. Coffe pots would turn on by themselves, T.V.'s, Video Game systems, the toilet would even flush on rare occasions by itself over and over at a rapid pace you could even hear the handle knocking back and fourth violently, which it also did while we were moving out. Empty cans of soda that were around would crush all of the sudden when nobody was around, and more things happened. One day I was at a neighbors house, playing in their yard... Sometimes I would look to our house, just because it was normal for me to do that at a young age, and this one time all of the sudden I noticed in my window, there was three people, in black and white color, almost like a oldies photo where it's black and white with people in formal suits kid in front, mom and dad in back, watching out of the window and I can only guess they were looking out at me. It was one of the strangest moment of my life, I was freaked out, I looked back at them once more then went inside with my friends because they wanted to go in their place to play games... I never saw anything like that ever again. These "spirits" were not hurtful though. I think they liked to play tricks and stuff, and at times they would actually help us living folks, say the alarm clock stopped working... Crushing cans near us would wake us up sometimes. Scary when things like this happened, but we were never hurt, just freaked out because it's normal for people to be afraid of what they don't know about.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 5:59 am

I think I have a dead relative[granny I think] who wants me to become gay. She keeps whispering 'hes hot' whenever a spunky guy is around.

I tell her 'piss off' as I actually feel no attraction to men

I googled 'same sex promoting entity' but could not find any logical answers.

I can only guess that she is sexually frustrated as spirit, and wants to enjoy sexual experiences by possessing my body.

Maybe its the least I can do for grandma

BlackDwarf
Toucan
Toucan

17 Sep 2012, 8:41 am

Fnord wrote:

<* AHEM *>

There is no valid, empirical, and objective evidence to support any claim of paranormal or psychic abilities or experience. It's all subjective, and open to interpretation. Anyone who claims otherwise is invited to take the "James Randi Challenge" and win one million U.S. dollars if they succeed in demonstrating their abilities.
James Randi wrote:
At JREF, we offer a one-million-dollar prize to anyone who can show, under proper observing conditions, evidence of any paranormal, supernatural, or occult power or event. The JREF does not involve itself in the testing procedure, other than helping to design the protocol and approving the conditions under which a test will take place. All tests are designed with the participation and approval of the applicant. In most cases, the applicant will be asked to perform a relatively simple preliminary test of the claim, which if successful, will be followed by the formal test. Preliminary tests are usually conducted by associates of the JREF at the site where the applicant lives. Upon success in the preliminary testing process, the "applicant" becomes a "claimant." To date, no one has passed the preliminary tests.

I'm with this. I can't believe something without the necessary evidence, especially concerning the existence of god.

kBillingsley
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Sep 2012, 8:51 am

Paranormal? It is only as real as you make it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 10:03 am

I've never seen a ghost in my life, even when I went to a graveyard or abandoned buildings late at night and done witchcraft, I still didn't see any ghosts.

zxy8
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Sep 2012, 10:09 am

Fnord wrote:

<* AHEM *>

James Randi wrote:

Awesome :D I think there was a similar thing many years ago in regards to god.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 10:14 am

Rascal77s wrote:
Fnord wrote:

<* AHEM *>

James Randi wrote:

dark matter is mathematically required to make sense of the universe, the exact opposite of anything paranormal.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Ca2MgFe5Si8O22OH2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Sep 2012, 11:04 am

consciousness is an important variable in nearly every model of the paranormal. if you don't control for consciousness in the experiment then you haven't really tested it. Randi can't prove or disprove anything as long as his own skepticism is a factor.

Conversion Disorder, General/Social Anxiety Disorder, Major Depression

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 11:12 am

I watch ghost adventures, does that count?

TheChamelion
Raven
Raven

17 Sep 2012, 11:33 am

I'm going to count incredible dejavu as paranormal.
I, on rare occasions, remember a past dream where x is happening as x is happening in real life. I attribute this to our lack of understanding of the mind; we know little, honestly.
I believe we have far, far more dreams then we realise and that it's simply inevitable that some may actually happen. Our memory of them is brought back by it happening and likely ends when it stops being the same in real life.

I also believe almost every 'paranormal encounter' can be attributed to our lack of understanding. Humans seem to simply label the unknown, wacky or incomprehensible as paranormal experiences.

I believe its also near impossible to prove the supernatural now. Photos, videos, witnesses and specimens have been faked too many times, and they can too easily be faked again.

Wonder how many saw the size of my comment on the paranormal and said TL:DR to themselves? 99%? >.<

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 1:20 pm

Yes I have, either that or I am already insane......and just think I have had such experiences, kind hard to know for sure.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 1:37 pm

BlackDwarf wrote:
Fnord wrote:

<* AHEM *>

James Randi wrote:

I'm with this. I can't believe something without the necessary evidence, especially concerning the existence of god.

There can never be physical proof when concerning the spiritual realm in this time frame, as science cannot measure it due to lack of technology capable of properly measuring/detecting it. But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Take black holes for example, science can't measure the center of a black hole, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, it simply means that science lacks the means of properly studying it, yet we take black holes as part of science fact, largely due to faith we put in people who we think knows everything concerning such. The reality is, all science is based from the improbable theories and beliefs that people have, then someone designs a device that might detect the proof of such theories, and like all new inventions it goes through scrutiny and suspicion for years before actually being considered science. Right now, the tools needed to detect the spirit realm are only just being invented, and it's going to be at least 50 years before they're accepted as common means of detecting it. Until then people will constantly say that the spirit realm (regardless of proof) doesn't exist.
Here's another example: The realm of thought. Science can't explain, measure, nor prove that there is thought, we can prove that there is brain wave activity, but that's not thought, thought is a conscious thing that happens when our mind (yet another unprovable fact) wanders. But science can't measure, nor prove that thought exists, does that mean it doesn't exist? No, because like the paranormal, we experience it ourselves.

Long story short (I know, too late), just because science can't prove it/measure it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Keep in mind as well, science can't disprove it either.

weeOne
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Sep 2012, 1:41 pm

I believe there are multiple dimensions of the time-space continuum that we can't appreciate, so I think we just call it paranormal/God, etc. As the renowned Pomo sucking doctor, Mabel McKay, once said:

"Just because you don't believe it, doesn't mean it's not true."

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 3:05 pm

Oodain wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:
Fnord wrote:

<* AHEM *>

James Randi wrote:

dark matter is mathematically required to make sense of the universe, the exact opposite of anything paranormal.

No dark matter is a hypothesis of convenience to explain a hole in our understanding of the universe. I challenge you to prove the existence of dark matter. You can't because there is absolutely no way to measure or detect it. It is a hypothesis with no proof. Some scientists have suggested that it is a force leaking from a parallel universe. You can believe that incorporeal mass makes up most of our our universe but you can't believe a ghost exists? Time travel falls into the realm of paranormal but scientists have no problem believing that a particle can pass through a solid object by borrowing energy from the future.

Aliens visiting earth falls into the realm of paranormal. Scientists estimate that there are 10 trillion planetary systems in the universe. Is it much of a stretch to think that some may have life and some of that life have technology beyond our understanding? In the scheme of things we're still just hairless apes.

It comes down to James Randi requiring hard proof to believe some crazy s**t but accepts other crazy s**t without proof because it's "science".

I'm not a believer in what most people refer to as paranormal but to absolutely deny the existence of everything categorically referred to as paranormal is just stupid.

NorwichAspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Sep 2012, 3:18 pm

I have seen the paranormal with my own eyes so i know that it is REAL!