Page 4 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Have you ever had a paranormal experiance?
Yes 58%  58%  [ 51 ]
No 42%  42%  [ 37 ]
Total votes : 88

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 9:47 am

IdahoRose wrote:
What did yours look like? Mine look kinda like the transparent figures that you see in the music video for "Fields of Gold" by Sting, though sometimes they look like fully-formed people. I see them for only a split second at a time, so it's not long enough to frighten me. It does cause me to jump out of surprise, particularly if I think I'm about to run into one. I must look strange to the people who can't see them, trying so hard to get out of the way of something that is invisible to them.

I was driving to work, and it was before sunrise. As I turned a corner my headlights swept across a tree. Behind the tree was a man's figure standing in the tree's shadow. As I turned, he side stepped so as to stay in the shadow as my headlights swept the area. He had to side step in the opposite direction of my motion so as to stay in the shadow. I saw it and was unnerved. My first reaction was that I ought to stop my car and back up and purposely shine my headlights on him. But I talked myself out of going back. (Typical Fortean response to seeing something like that.)

Jediscraps
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 9:36 pm

Callista wrote:
Jediscraps wrote:
I thought laws of nature were not really prescriptive laws but human models to explain. Descriptions of what happens.

The laws are real, as real as anything in the universe is. Just because something isn't material doesn't mean it's not real--the laws of nature are one example (very basic abstract concepts such as logic and mathematics are others). The words and equations we use to explain them are human inventions, but if we were to talk to aliens from another galaxy, once we got past the linguistic and cultural barriers, they would have discovered those laws of the universe just as we have. They'd know what "pi" was, though they wouldn't call it pi; they'd know that gravity works on an inverse-square law, though they might not call it "gravity"... They would have an explanation of how an atom works, though they might never have come up with the idea of explaining it as a tiny solar-system structure or a nucleus surrounded by probabilistic electron clouds.

You do have to take for granted that the universe you see is the same universe everybody else sees; but once you've accepted "I am not a brain in a jar" as axiomatic, then you can pretty easily conclude that the laws of nature are as real as the universe itself.

My above response was responding to your statement about a proving an "unkown law of nature"~
Quote:
To have a "paranormal" experience proven valid (i.e., to be unexplainable by current scientific knowledge, testable, repeatable, and statistically significant), you would have to prove that a heretofore unknown law of nature--with macroscopic, human-observable effects--existed. I think this is unlikely. However, if we were to discover such a law, then it would no longer qualify as paranormal, because we would then be able to observe, test, and quantify it. It would become scientific.

First, the word paranormal, psi, psychic, etc. etc., I am using means, outside of 'normal science'. Normal would be the dominant paradigm. The paranormal things people are experiencing would be anomolies to the materialist/physicalist paradigm. These paranormal experiences would become "scientific" if explained in accord with that materialist model.

Second, there is debate that physical laws are prescription or description. As I understand, prescriptive would be, what is observed happening does so because of those laws.

You stated that to have a "paranormal" experience proven valid, unexplainable by current science, an unknown law of nature would have to be proven.

Yet, physical laws are ideas based on experimentation and observation, etc.

I wish I would have written my previous sentence better and left out the word model. I was drawing a difference between the human map of the universe and the universe itself.

Also, those aliens from another galaxy, may share some facts about the universe in common, but, that is not the same as sharing the same paradigm or model of the universe in common. I have no idea what an alien would say, only what some humans are currently saying.

If you were to say that physical laws are descriptive facts about the universe then your argument about differing linguistics and culture would make more sense to me (laws, as in patterns from observation, etc). Because facts are facts.

But, I am talking about the model of reality which says that "science" is materialism, and materialism is the reality. In doing so, it is making the paranormal claims, psuedo-science by default, anamolous, until explained through their shared view of the world, materialism/physicalism, and whatever that is agreed to be.

What is called "paranormal" does not simply mean unexplainable through science. PSI claims, would not stop being the claimed PSI, if PSI was observed, tested, and shown to somehow work to some degree. Explaining how it works, by 'science', does not necessarily mean it would be explained through the current materialism.

I would be open to the idea of fields for example, or various other explanations, which would be other things in nature, and which I think is physical/natural. But somehow, the physical material world is thought of to be a certain way by debunkers and such. I find that to be confusing.

Last edited by Jediscraps on 21 Sep 2012, 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buttoneater
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Sep 2012, 10:20 pm

I had two visions preceding left temporal tonic-clonic seizures wherein I found myself without a physical body, floating in front of a trippy, gnostic version of god and the heavenly host or celestial host or whatever Christians call it. Later, things got weird. It was not in any way a good experience. I told no one about it because I thought I was nuts (I knew there was no such thing as prophets), until a few years later and I read about research into human spirituality and the left temporal lobe. A few things clicked in my head and I smiled realizing I wasn't crazy. Then I frowned because I realized there was probably no god of any kind. Damn parents raising me to think rationally and dispelling the idea of the existence of the supernatural.

Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 12:20 am

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
Dan_Undiagnosed wrote:

Oh no, mine are crazier than that! I wrote about some of them on a thread about spooky dreams. One I had was about me driving along on a highway at night surrounded by tropical palm trees and jungle. Then I noticed up ahead there were big white arrows on the road pointing back towards me as though I was on the wrong side of the road. Then another vehicle appeared coming towards me so we both hit the brakes and stopped short of hitting each other. When I woke up I didn't think much of it but then a day or two later I saw on the news that in American Samoa they switched from the American right hand side driving to the European/Australian/New Zealand left side driving.
Another one I had was really vivid about a storm hitting the small coastal city where my Dad lived (and where I had recently lived with him). Then a few months later a huge storm hit the city that killed a few people and washed a freight ship up on the local beach.
I have pretty specific ones like that. Don't know what to make of them :?

Those are pretty specific. That would be quite unsettling for me.

Yeah I've had a few pretty f****d up ones. One is where I was walking back to my place at night when I looked down at the pavement & saw the long shadows of two people running up behind me. I spun around just in time to see two masked guys bearing down on me when I woke up.
Another one was where I was meeting with people that I seemed to think I had known once before but one of them didn't want me there. I overstayed my welcome being defiant so he pulled out some sort of automatic weapon and sprayed it at me & hit me a few times. So I put my hands up and said "Okay I'll go, I'll go" so I limped into a small truck type vehicle & went to leave but he appeared at the driver's window with a pistol and started shooting in the window hitting me.
There was another one where I was watching a gathering of people from up above when all of a sudden there was a flash kind of like a roman candle fire work going off right in front of me and I looked down and I was missing the ring and pinky fingers on my right hand. I picked them up from the pebble road and started to run but then woke up :?
Most of my dreams are really vivid and as I've shown some of them seem to have "come true" after the fact so these ones where I apparently die are... interesting, to say the least. Sometimes I think about poring over newspapers to see if I'm dreaming about experiencing other people's deaths but I think if I went to that extreme I'd pretty much be admitting insanity :P

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 1:55 am

Have we switched to freaky dreams now? :) Ooh I love that topic. I have loads of dreams every night. Some are awesome and some are annoying. I'm sure I died many times in my dreams and have been ghosts many times, too. Aliens, gods, global war, massive disasters...etc. That doesn't count as anything paranormal of course.

My grandma has been talking about invisible people trying to kick her out of her apartment. She could actually talk to them and hear them. These people also threaten to beat her with pillows and feather dusters. :? But then she's got dementia so I don't think that counts either. She now says if she always greet them nicely they would not be bad to her. So she goes to the kitchen to say hello to the sink all the time.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 4:27 am

Some dreams end with meeting glowing radiant people in dreams.... they radiate an aura of angelic beauty before kicking my sorry ass back into wakeup dulloworld and no more hot angels

They can be such a tease....