Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

16 Sep 2012, 11:00 pm

The following is a slight amendment to a post I made earlier on this particular section of the boards, I think it would be better to start a new thread rather than revise the old one:
------
My social problems are several-fold:
1. Getting into arguments into my parents because I'd rather do my own thing (although not as much as in the past; and I mean on the occasions that I meet them, which is periodically)
2. Me being a tad-obsessive about a few people to the point where people don't want to talk to me (and I am sorry if I come across as such, to those reading this); I've had several friendships end because that person thought I was a maniac (like all those baddies I have mentioned).
3. Why can't I read other people's expressions?
4. And I can't tell when a person doesn't want to talk to me.
5. I'm also prone to misunderstanding what other people say.

I think I have Homer Simpson-itis! What am I to do to help mahself? 25 years of frustration is building up in me because of this.....

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

kateface
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Sep 2012, 12:25 pm

I can't offer any solutions as I am the same I have no idea how to determine if I am acting appropriately with people until I hear that someone has hated me for the last year whilst we hung out... but didn't have the balls to tell me.

It is simply mind boggling

Just so you know you are not alone, I hope someone can give you some decent advice soon :)

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 12:25 am

Thanks, kateface. I have hope for myself too. :)

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 6:00 am

Just so ya know, anybody who has this same problem can post here too....... we're in this together, I say!

LordExiron
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Sep 2012, 1:39 pm

I have pretty much all five, too. The only one I have fixed is number one, because my parents have known me long enough to accept that I like a lot of alone time. I'm trying to think of anything I can say to help. I mean, I have some friends, but really thinking about it, I guess they all approached me; whenever I try to approach someone and make friends with them, they think I'm some kind of a stalker. I know if I could get past that I would do all right, because I do all right with people who approach me first, but I never get to befriend the people who are most interesting to me, because I can't figure out how to ingratiate myself with them. Wow, this sucks; I thought I would be able to help you a little. I'm sorry.

Sarah81
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Sep 2012, 12:53 am

Well, OP, at least you have awareness of what your social problems are. That's an excellent first step.

Remember, social problems involve at least two people - yourself, and others - so I'd imagine that problems need to be figured out between yourself, and the others with whom you are having problems.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 9:04 pm

Thank you very much, Sarah81; it can be hard to find straight answers to my problems- I've always preferred them in straight English w/o any curveballs.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 8:13 am

I am not much of a loner; I am pretty sociable despite the fact that I have messed up on some counts at times.

MightyG
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Sep 2012, 7:47 pm

It is so much easier if people approach you, then things are easy. But if I take an interest in someone because of a shared interest, they seem scared.
I don't really get why? I used to telephone a friend of mine who lived in a shared house (pre-mobile days, I'm that old). Sometimes people I didn't know in the house would answer. My friend fed back to me that they were uneasy that I was so 'intense' on the phone; I had only asked if they could knock on my friends door to see if they were in???

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 7:17 am

I can be a bit too exciteable and chatty (sorry about the latter)....... I guess I can also be short-tempered at the same time.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 3:54 am

And sometimes I can scare away people just as so much as saying hello to them....... people, would you give me a chance if I said hi to you, I ask you now?