Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

theimprobableone
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Sep 2012, 2:07 am

My psychologist was the first person to really mention Aspergers to me, and it was a huge relief because I noticed that I fit some of the characteristics but I never really discussed it with anyone, because where I come from most people seem to think psychology is a crack profession, so it didn't even seem worth it.

But she seemed pretty convinced that I am, in fact, an Aspie, because I fit the characteristics pretty well and it would definitely explain a lot about my personality, I guess.

But I thought there were tests or something? I don't know. I just don't know if that means I'm actually diagnosed, or if I'm still kind of floating and not really knowing where I belong, or maybe just not belonging anywhere?

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 2:13 am

A diagnosis means a qualified professional evaluated you and formally listed the condition in your medical record. How they evaluate people can vary.

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 3:14 am

The letter from my GP/shrink saying i was nuts :wink: :D

My RSS feed:
www.steviecandtheplacetobe.net/rss.xml

sandcatsecond
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Sep 2012, 6:20 am

I emailed the site and received this reply.

"Generally a psychiatrist, clinical pychologist or diagnostician in a school setting makes the determination if a person has ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). Few actually get an Aspergers label unless they clearly meet the clear guidelines set in the DSM-IV manual. The method(s) generally consist of a psychiatric evaluation, some observation and input from family/teachers and the suspected patient by using behavioral surveys"