Page 5 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 7:32 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
I wouldn't want to associate with someone who referred to me as a "low level person" or an "ape".

I get what he means totally. I've often equated NT's to chimps myself.
We are more like orang-utans.

I don't think I've heard that analogy before. In what way/s are we like orangutans?

To answer the OP, if I had to pick one trait that sucks for me right now, it would be trouble with transitions. I can't even find any tips to help with it because everything I find presumes that I'm the parent of a 3-year-old who doesn't like transitions.

Chimps live in social groups that are very hierarchical and can be very aggressive, just like NTs

Orang-utans tend to live solitary lives, not in groups, and as a result they are not aggressive in fact they come across as the opposite ie slow and vulnerable

I think there are a lot of parallels with autistic people ie we spend a lot of time on our own ie not in groups and we are generally placid/not aggressive and vulnerable

It made me think that perhaps it's the solitary lifestyle of the orang-utan; not living in a pack that gives them this vulnerable aspect, like us

Similar thing can be seen in Pandas - they have a sort of slow-moving placid vulnerability thing
and they tend to live most of their lives on their own

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 7:35 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
Surfman wrote:
Excessive talking. STFU

You or this thread ???

one thing i hate about aspergers....

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 7:39 pm

I'll be elated to be proven wrong, but in the meantime, this is what I believe:

If charisma could be learned, it'd be because someone is able to teach it.

And if that someone existed, they'd be so successful and famous that we would've heard of them and there'd be a waiting line of years to join their courses, not to mention that person would be a billionaire.

Because if there's one thing every human is willing to pay for, it's having influence over others. That's why advertising works at getting your money - they promise you the illusion of influence over others if you just use this deodorant or ride that motorcycle.

Charisma is personality, and as such it has a strong inborn component, and a strong childhood formation component. If you're not awing people at, say, your twenties, you won't start awing them after taking a course.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 7:40 pm

Moondust wrote:
I'll be elated to be proven wrong, but in the meantime, this is what I believe:

If charisma could be learned, it'd be because someone is able to teach it.

And if that someone existed, they'd be so successful and famous that we would've heard of them and there'd be a waiting line of years to join their courses, not to mention that person would be a billionaire.

Because if there's one thing every human is willing to pay for, it's having influence over others. That's why advertising works at getting your money - they promise you the illusion of influence over others if you just use this deodorant or ride that motorcycle.

Charisma is personality, and as such it has a strong inborn component, and a strong childhood formation component. If you're not awing people at, say, your twenties, you won't start awing them after taking a course.

Well said! I totally agree

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 7:49 pm

Charisma exists in the solar plexis, thats why aspies need to improve their gut function

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 7:50 pm

Surfman wrote:
Charisma exists in the solar plexis, thats why aspies need to improve their gut function

Lol that's charismatically very funny :D

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 7:51 pm

I'm too gutless, no intestinal fortitude

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 7:52 pm

braveheart could be braveguts

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 7:52 pm

Surfman wrote:
I'm too gutless, no intestinal fortitude

:D

BanjoGirl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 8:09 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
Prof_Pretorius wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
BanjoGirl wrote:
Yeah, Clint Eastwood has it.

Alan Rickman has it too (what a voice :o )

I love him in 'Truly, Madly, Deeply'

Alan Rickman? I see him more as a very talented actor than charismatic.

It's evidently a subjective thing

Perhaps a male/female thing.

I think it's a subjective thing, but of course charismatic people seduces easily.

I think Alan Rickman has charisma because his presence on screen take control of the scene even when he is a secondary character. If he is the villain of the movie, then the hero can begin to cry. And he does this effortless.

But the champion is Vittorio Gassman. He was even too charismatic

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 8:32 pm

Social skills, communication and leadership can all be learned. There are many good sources out there about leadership, positivity, attitude and secrets to success. It doesn't come naturally, even to NTs. But they can be learned by going out of your comfort zone just a little bit at a time. Lots and lots of books on it, especially in business or the best seller lists.

Some tips are to have a positive attitude. Not unrealistically positive, but it is our natural state to be negative as humans, so it's best to have more positive thoughts than negative ones. It has been shown that positive people tend to be more successful than negative, or even neutral people.

I can relate to your goal. Before I knew that I had AS, when I was young, I would want to learn acting and hope that it would show me the secret to social success. Of course it didn't, but I kept looking and could never find any magical formula that would make people like me. But I'd still watch people and wonder what it would be like to be popular or influential.

But I can see that if you start with a huge goal in mind, of course learning the skills you need becomes overwhelming. So I'm taking it one step at a time. I know that having a social disability puts me at a disadvantage. But what I've realised is that how you approach adversity is more important than the hardships themselves. So don't give up. I didn't, and now I can see that having this barrier to overcome, and not giving up, has made me a stronger person. Let me know how your journey goes :) It's a challenge that I'm trying to overcome as well, and I'd love to hear how you see it too.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 8:56 pm

'Intent intent intent!'
Don Juan

18 Sep 2012, 11:07 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
Multiplex wrote:
You cannot learn charisma. And learning social skills is useless for an Asperger.

In the polite way possible, I would like to say you are wrong on both counts. People DO learn charisma, do you think all politicians are born with it? And learning social skills is quite useful for ASpies and NTs.

SOME people are able to learn charisma, but if you are an aspie, and have a case of it that's moderate or greater, you're not going to be able to. Asperger syndrome is indeed a social disability in the truest sense of the world. And if you have a disability then you are going to have limitations that most people don't have; some of which cannot be overcome. If you are disabled you may not be able to do all of the things that people who aren't do.

There are a lot of things about ourselves that we simply have no control over, and that includes our strengths and weaknesses. Some things in life cannot be changed; so in order to get by you have to figure out a way to accept things. Perhaps the best way to do this is direct your effort and focus entirely on things that you CAN do something about as well as things that make use of your strengths. If you are an aspie, social skills are not your strength. So if you want to influence society you have to produce something that other people recognize and appreciate.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 1:09 am

engineering and science....

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 2:05 am

I've settled for planting a seed in people's minds when I have an opportunity in conversation. I know they resent the new, especially coming from an outsider like me, but with time (and as things happen that make them regret not having given credit to my words) I'm sure many recall my ideas and spread them. I don't get any perks for it, except knowing I'm contributing to the world - as best I can.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 5:04 am

Jack and the beanstalk.... he climbed all the way to heaven