Does all Japanese music sound similar to anyone else?

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jul 2011
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,083
Location: CT, USA

22 Sep 2012, 8:26 pm

Morningstar wrote:

Ok wait, I need to make a personal exception for K-pop. It sounds exactly like American music to me, instead of having any distinct Korean sound. I don't really like it because it just sounds like the stuff I could hear if I turned on the radio.


Yep, that's why I don't like K-Pop and don't understand others fascination with it.



icyfire4w5
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Sep 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 660

23 Sep 2012, 7:13 am

Um, a K-pop fan once told me that listening to K-pop is an excellent way to de-stress because K-pop songs are mostly cheerful and uplifting. Personally, I'm in awe of Japanese composers. (Many Chinese pop songs, especially those considered as oldies, are actually Japanese pop songs with their lyrics altered significantly.) I agree with Wikipedia that enka has strongly influenced Hokkien music in Taiwan and trot music in Korea.

To Ganondox: Here's the Chinese version of Kita Guni no Haru (North Country's Spring). Enjoy! (To be honest, I prefer the Japanese original.)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKv1WkSeQs4[/youtube]

To starryeyedvoyager: Hi, thanks a lot for enlightening me about the pentatonic scale.

I'm pleasantly surprised that so many well-known songs are composed according to the pentatonic scale.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpvfSOP2slk[/youtube]



b9
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Aug 2008
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,437
Location: australia

23 Sep 2012, 8:54 am

Ganondox wrote:

It was directed to the Aboriginal Music part, not the Asian/Middle Eastern Music part, though the Aboriginal Music bit doesn't even seem to be at all related to this thread or the rest of you post unless you are implying that Asian/Middle Eastern Music is less musical because you don't like it.
with what i can salvage from my understanding of your question to me, i answer "yes". musicality is very subjective, and if there was no life form that perceived musicality, it would not exist.


the muslim morning wailings that get shouted in some sort of musically choreographed way through cheap microphones that feed cheap amplifiers atop each mosque that powers a speaker of the quality of a battery operated loud hailer, are very mundane in my opinion.

thank goodness that only happens over seas.

asian music is very restricted in it's capacity to elaborate upon the static core of it's genesis, and i do not like it.
in my subjective world, asian music is not considered to be dynamic and pliable to the point where surprise is possible. whatever, i do not like asian music.



Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Jun 2009
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,197
Location: Sherbrooke, Québec, Canada

23 Sep 2012, 12:44 pm

b9 wrote:
asian music is very restricted in it's capacity to elaborate upon the static core of it's genesis, and i do not like it.
in my subjective world, asian music is not considered to be dynamic and pliable to the point where surprise is possible. whatever, i do not like asian music.

How to not like music like that?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCercp1jDfE[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6SZDgMPHQA[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-0G_FI61a8&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWMBG67Sweg[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLnYwCp7D6I[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqIu_0jVvv8[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7C2SOc5juM[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI5fD7Jbnuw[/youtube]



Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Oct 2011
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,807
Location: USA

24 Sep 2012, 4:15 am

b9 wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

It was directed to the Aboriginal Music part, not the Asian/Middle Eastern Music part, though the Aboriginal Music bit doesn't even seem to be at all related to this thread or the rest of you post unless you are implying that Asian/Middle Eastern Music is less musical because you don't like it.
with what i can salvage from my understanding of your question to me, i answer "yes". musicality is very subjective, and if there was no life form that perceived musicality, it would not exist.


the muslim morning wailings that get shouted in some sort of musically choreographed way through cheap microphones that feed cheap amplifiers atop each mosque that powers a speaker of the quality of a battery operated loud hailer, are very mundane in my opinion.

thank goodness that only happens over seas.

asian music is very restricted in it's capacity to elaborate upon the static core of it's genesis, and i do not like it.
in my subjective world, asian music is not considered to be dynamic and pliable to the point where surprise is possible. whatever, i do not like asian music.


I didn't ask any questions.

Musicality is subjective, which is why you shouldn't define what is music and what isn't.

I live "overseas".


_________________
Cinnamon and sugary
Softly Spoken lies
You never know just how you look
Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html


Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Oct 2011
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,807
Location: USA

24 Sep 2012, 5:10 am

icyfire4w5 wrote:
Um, a K-pop fan once told me that listening to K-pop is an excellent way to de-stress because K-pop songs are mostly cheerful and uplifting. Personally, I'm in awe of Japanese composers. (Many Chinese pop songs, especially those considered as oldies, are actually Japanese pop songs with their lyrics altered significantly.) I agree with Wikipedia that enka has strongly influenced Hokkien music in Taiwan and trot music in Korea.

To Ganondox: Here's the Chinese version of Kita Guni no Haru (North Country's Spring). Enjoy! (To be honest, I prefer the Japanese original.)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKv1WkSeQs4[/youtube]



Why is this directed to me?


_________________
Cinnamon and sugary
Softly Spoken lies
You never know just how you look
Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html


Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Oct 2011
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,807
Location: USA

24 Sep 2012, 5:11 am

1000Knives wrote:
Morningstar wrote:

Ok wait, I need to make a personal exception for K-pop. It sounds exactly like American music to me, instead of having any distinct Korean sound. I don't really like it because it just sounds like the stuff I could hear if I turned on the radio.


Yep, that's why I don't like K-Pop and don't understand others fascination with it.


That's exactly why they like it, because it sounds like poppy American Music, only it's in Korean.


_________________
Cinnamon and sugary
Softly Spoken lies
You never know just how you look
Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html


Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Oct 2011
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,807
Location: USA

24 Sep 2012, 5:14 am

CyclopsSummers wrote:
nick007 wrote:
Some of the Japanese pop sounds like generic bubblegum pop that's all over America except the singing is in Japanese instead of English

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGbwL8kSpEk[/youtube]


That song is in Korean, not Japanese. Girls' Generation (or Shoneo Shidae) did translate their latest albums and singles into Japanese to break through the Japanese market, though, with significant success.

Interestingly, they also attempted to make a break overseas in America and Europe near the end of 2011, by releasing a maxi-single of a song with English lyrics. While they promoted themselves in America in the winter of 2011/2012, their single didn't catch on, echoing past failures of other Korean acts such as Se7en, BoA, and Rain, all quite easily recognisable as mainstream K-Pop.

Then Gangnam Style happened last summer, and every South Korean was scratching their heads about how an off-beat rapper could succeed where the most slickly produced, dance-move busting, trend-following singers and groups failed. (EDIT: Well, to be fair, tight production, dance moves [the 'horseriding' dance], and following trends [Gangnam Style seems to closely follow the model of LMFAO's songs] are all present in PSY's song; but it isn't your standard K-Pop)

//tangent over.

I was going to comment on this thread's topic, but I lack the exposure to Japanese traditional music to add anything of substance to it. I find starryeyedvoyager's post to be a very enlightening one, though.


That's exactly why it caught on, because it was different. If you want to be exceptional, you need to be exceptional.


_________________
Cinnamon and sugary
Softly Spoken lies
You never know just how you look
Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html


b9
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Aug 2008
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,437
Location: australia

24 Sep 2012, 7:25 am

Tollorin wrote:
b9 wrote:
asian music is very restricted in it's capacity to elaborate upon the static core of it's genesis, and i do not like it.
in my subjective world, asian music is not considered to be dynamic and pliable to the point where surprise is possible. whatever, i do not like asian music.

How to not like music like that?...{avalanche of videos}


i guess there is no accounting for taste.



b9
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Aug 2008
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,437
Location: australia

24 Sep 2012, 7:32 am

Ganondox wrote:
I didn't ask any questions.

Musicality is subjective, which is why you shouldn't define what is music and what isn't.
the fact that it is subjective is why only i can define what is music to my ears.
your ears (mind) are yours, and i can not define what is music for you.
i am simply saying that i find asian and middle eastern music to be banal.

Ganondox wrote:
I live "overseas".
i fail to see the relevance of that fact.



Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Oct 2011
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,807
Location: USA

24 Sep 2012, 9:24 am

b9 wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
I didn't ask any questions.

Musicality is subjective, which is why you shouldn't define what is music and what isn't.
the fact that it is subjective is why only i can define what is music to my ears.
your ears (mind) are yours, and i can not define what is music for you.
i am simply saying that i find asian and middle eastern music to be banal.

Ganondox wrote:
I live "overseas".
i fail to see the relevance of that fact.


You said the muslim prayers only play overseas. I live "overseas".


_________________
Cinnamon and sugary
Softly Spoken lies
You never know just how you look
Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html


b9
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Aug 2008
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,437
Location: australia

24 Sep 2012, 9:45 am

Ganondox wrote:
b9 wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
I didn't ask any questions.

Musicality is subjective, which is why you shouldn't define what is music and what isn't.
the fact that it is subjective is why only i can define what is music to my ears.
your ears (mind) are yours, and i can not define what is music for you.
i am simply saying that i find asian and middle eastern music to be banal.

Ganondox wrote:
I live "overseas".
i fail to see the relevance of that fact.


You said the muslim prayers only play overseas. I live "overseas".

yes well that is a feeble justification of your previous post but i will accept it because i could not be bothered to argue further with you.
good night.



CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jun 2008
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,307
Location: The Netherlands

24 Sep 2012, 5:23 pm

Thanks for posting those two enka vids, Knives. I was exposed to some enka back when I listened to the Oricon chart weekly in 2010/2011.

@Ganondox; I realise Gangnam Style stands out more, but I find it somewhat amusing that the song became a hit in the West because the artist wasn't actually trying to catch on internationally, while the other acts like Girls Generation were making attempts to do just that, and failed. It reminds me of how there are so many talent shows looking for 'The next pop idol', and then fail to produce a winner that has more than one hit single. There are exceptions, but I guess it goes to show that you can't force fame.


_________________
clarity of thought before rashness of action


Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Oct 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,969
Location: UK (Wiltshire)

30 Oct 2012, 7:25 am

ps. don't think anyone linked to this yet:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlgBjVOn6Ls[/youtube]

At 4:27 - the transition there, I feel like I'm having an orgasm of the soul.



Bun
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jan 2012
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,356

30 Oct 2012, 9:49 am

Not to me it doesn't.


_________________
Double X and proud of it / male pronouns : he, him, his