Recently I watched a very interesting program about taiwan

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 1:12 pm

Once the Republic of China or Taiwan, was a member of the United Nations and had the status of a permanent member of the UN Security Council, but was replaced by the UN kicked out and replaced by the People's Republic of China.

I wonder why Taiwan is not vetoed the resolution which deprived them of the UN sear, after all, have the right of veto, can all the time veto. After all, the U.S. and Russia has repeatedly abused the right of veto in the UN Security Council, and no one could do anything to them, a permanent member of the UN Security Council has the right. So why Taiwan when I was had the status as a permanent member did not use this right???

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 1:24 pm

I know that I would have, but I'm not Taiwan.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 3:10 pm

Maybe they were on vacation at the time.

Pileo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 3:21 pm

I'm guessing their hands where tied by another country. A "don't veto or else bad things will happen" sort of thing. Probably nothing like direct violence, but maybe something that would have affected their economy.

The US and Russia can veto all they want because they're the biggest powers there.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

18 Sep 2012, 3:44 pm

It was a general assembly vote not a security council vote.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 5:46 pm

Jacoby wrote:

But cant a security council member veto a general assembly decision? Isnt that the point?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

18 Sep 2012, 6:25 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

But cant a security council member veto a general assembly decision? Isnt that the point?

They can veto security council resolutions but not general assembly resolutions.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 9:54 pm

The issue wasn't if Taiwan held the veto vote...it was who Taiwan represented in the UN as a member with a veto power.

The seat in the UN was given to China. Taiwan was China's gov. in exile.. mainland China (Mao) was the de-facto China.

Since Taiwan persisted on holding on to the title of China they lost the seat. Simply because mainland China = much more landmass and people than Taiwan had at the time.

If Shek had cut his losses and declared Taiwan independent and NOT be 'China' this problem we have today would not exist. He would've been recognized as an independent nation before the veto power was handed out to mainland China (the soviets at the time were not so deeply against the US as they were decades...WW2 was barely over at the time).

In retrospect it was rather ludicrous of Shek to imagine he could cross the ocean and militarily reclaim the mainland from Mao... for nearly 2 decades before they were kicked out of the UN.