Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

LonelyLoner
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Sep 2012, 4:07 pm

I don't own a purse because I don't like having to carry everything on my shoulder. I have scoliosis so if I am wearing a purse it just wants to slide right off. I tried messenger bags but it just hurts my shoulder after a while... I also don't like pretty frilly girly things!

My problem is that I need to carry important things around like my wallet, hand sanitiser, and my mobile.

I considered wearing a backpack... wearing them even makes my posture better because the two straps seem to pull my shoulders back so that I stand up straight. I will just look like a high schooler:/

Anyone have any suggestions?

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 4:13 pm

Fanny pack?

Marshmallows
Raven
Raven

18 Sep 2012, 4:14 pm

I have a few purses in various sizes, but also wear a backpack (that has an awesome dino hood..) depending on the situation I like the versatility of either, except if I'm shopping as stores take backpacks while you look around.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 4:47 pm

I used to go to one bookstore quite often that never objected to my backpack. They would happily let me carry it around in the store. Since I often had books and magazines in it, I didn't want there to be any possibility of them thinking I was shoplifting and so I wanted them to watch the backpack for me.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 6:36 pm

i always lose purses. i used a fanny pack for a while, but now if it doen't fit (i found a small wallet at the mall of america) in my pockets, i don't take it with me.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 8:33 am

You could get a small purse like backpack. I have a mouse and a ninja turtle one from Spencers and in the past I had a plain black more "mature" looking one.

No store ever tried to take it from me and I'd leave if they tried. It's not really a backpack. It's smaller and more like a purse you wear on your back.

I usually just carry my wallet and my phone in my pockets.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 2:44 pm

I have a bag I carry with me - I usually call it my "bag" or my "shoulder bag" cuz the word "purse" just sounds too feminine for someone like me, lol... My bag isn't really elegant or purse - like at all, anyway...it's one of those canvas - y ones that's gray and has a zippered pocket on the front with the front folding over, and I put a bunch of buttons and pins on it. :lol:

I tend to get aching back/head/shoulder problems sometimes, tho, so when I'm only going someplace close where I won't really NEED much (like to the mini - mart on campus) I just put my debit card in this cardholder attached to my keychain that has my dorm keys and my keys to my parents' house....my student ID is in the front of cardholder and my debit card stays in the zippered part. It's just easier on my shoulders and back that way.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

AutisticBelle
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Sep 2012, 2:57 pm

I carry a purse everywhere and can't imagine being without it. I carry sketch books, pencils, sanitizer, at least two books at any given time and assorted other things. But I only have the one, a huge denim monstrosity that is ugly and falling apart. I refuse to get a new one. :D
My mom uses a fanny pack because she has trouble with her shouldrs. It works well for her. One of my sisters gets along with only a wallet, the other with a ton of different purses and backpacks.
I recomend a fanny pack for you, since it seems I would be the most comfortable.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 6:57 am

It doesn't sound like you want to carry a lot of things. Why not try a very small cross body bag? Choose one made of something very light, like cotton or nylon fabric. i.e. like Vera Bradley bags. I have a couple of those very light weight ones when I need to carry a purse all day. You could use a wristlet, too, but they're easy to lose.

mrspotatohead
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Sep 2012, 8:11 am

I have one particular purse that I like, and that's all I will use because I will forget and lose anything else. The strap has to be a certain length, and the bag itself has to be of specific proportions. I can't do little hand bags or purses with very long chains. It has to fit perfectly in the little space right below my boob where my waist goes in... as long as it fits there, it's sorta like a security blanket, and I actually seek it out because it is comforting.

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 8:18 am

I'm always wearing my backpack. It's much more comfortable than a purse.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 8:35 am

How about a handbag instead of a shoulder bag? You can find purses with shorter handles that you can hook over your arm or carry in your hand. Would that work?

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 2:25 pm

LonelyLoner wrote:
I don't own a purse because I don't like having to carry everything on my shoulder. I have scoliosis so if I am wearing a purse it just wants to slide right off. I tried messenger bags but it just hurts my shoulder after a while... I also don't like pretty frilly girly things!

My problem is that I need to carry important things around like my wallet, hand sanitiser, and my mobile.

I considered wearing a backpack... wearing them even makes my posture better because the two straps seem to pull my shoulders back so that I stand up straight. I will just look like a high schooler:/

Anyone have any suggestions?

You could try a travel vest. They come with large pockets, big enough for a wallet, etc. The ones from the travel stores are kind of expensive, but if you have sewing skills maybe you could make your own.

I think if I were going to go the purse-free route (and I have considered it because of arthritis in my shoulders), I'd look into making my own vest with big pockets. I used to make regular vests to wear to the office, until I retired, since I was always too warm for a nice jacket.

If you don't like the look of outside pockets, you could make a vest with the pockets inside out of view.

If you don't sew, you could buy a vest made of sturdy fabric and take it to an alterations person to have pockets added inside. Some larger dry cleaners have good alterations people.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2012, 5:32 am

I carry a purse (we call them handbags here) which is really a backpack. It's shaped like one and has 2 straps, so I can wear it over both shoulders. But, it's also soft brown plastic that looks like leather. I have another in denim. They're similar to this. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ladies-Real-Lea ... =1-2-spell