Is ADHD/ADD considered to be on the autism spectrum?

Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 7:39 am

Surfman wrote:
Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
But, I wasn't disruptive or destructive or 'angry', just spinning, running and dancing all the time, with a thousand thoughts a second going on. I grew out of the physical hyperactivity, but I haven't grown out of the inattention and still can't read a novel, unless it grips me from the first paragraph

My daughter has a diagnosis of Aspergers, but I think, if she had been assessed by a different team, she might have come away with an ADHD diagnosis.

Have either of you been on ADHD meds?
I'm considering it if I get a diagnosis. Otherwise I'll self destruct on food addiction, booze or coffee or something else.

I'm finding it hard to settle down at the moment. I've gotten so well, with my diet and exercise, and with it, hyperactivity
No. She only got a diagnosis a few weeks ago, so we're now in a position to ask for referral to psychiatry, if we feel the need. Prior to the diagnosis, there was no way anyone would prescribe anything (not that we asked). I gave her a herbal supplement, advertised as the 'natural alternative to ritalin', but it doesn't help much. Her concentration difficulties are getting her down, so we might end up going down that route. I've only ever taken herbal remedies, never even seen a doc.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 7:46 am

Surfman wrote:
But I think latent brain structure remains throughout ones life.

In my brother it is the case.
Noone would diagnose him now in having ADHD anymore, but as a child he was clearly hyperactive and so one. And still some behaviour remained from ADHD, but without the suffering and stuff, so not as a disodert anymore, just as some tendencies that are left.

I believe in most cases it is like this who "outgrow" it, that still some aspects remains and this is in most diagnoses in this area the case.

In my case it is the same with dyslexia. I don't have this diagnosis anymore, but I need longer in reading and grammar and make slightly more mistakes. I'm just slightly under the norm now. So it's not in the range of a disorder now, but if you know it that I had it, you know where my difficulties in this area are comming from.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 8:06 am

Surfman wrote:
yeah, I'm finding my spelling and grammar very difficult now that I'm fit and healthy, and without weed in my brain, to help slow me down properly

But I'm going to stay off it awhile, and see if I normalise somewhat after rebound effect wears off

What do you mean? :?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

19 Sep 2012, 8:08 am

Surfman wrote:
Growing out of ADHD is a erroneous concept espoused by many ignorant doctors. A lowering of vitality due to ageing, gaining weight, medication and depression, losing energy etc is mainly responsible for an apparent diminishing of ADHD symptoms

This I disagree with. There are two different things happening and you're confusing the two. One of them is that people really do outgrow ADHD by their early 30s. Maybe 30% of all adults with ADHD outgrow it by then. The rest do not. This conclusion was drawn through longitudinal studies and documented by Dr. Russell Barkley in a few places. There's a video on youtube where he talks about it as well. While there are many ignorant doctors when it comes to ADHD, Barkley is not one of them.

The other thing is that for many (not all) adults, that physical hyperactivity decreases with age.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 8:21 am

Verdandi wrote:
Surfman wrote:
Growing out of ADHD is a erroneous concept espoused by many ignorant doctors. A lowering of vitality due to ageing, gaining weight, medication and depression, losing energy etc is mainly responsible for an apparent diminishing of ADHD symptoms

This I disagree with. There are two different things happening and you're confusing the two. One of them is that people really do outgrow ADHD by their early 30s. Maybe 30% of all adults with ADHD outgrow it by then. The rest do not. This conclusion was drawn through longitudinal studies and documented by Dr. Russell Barkley in a few places. There's a video on youtube where he talks about it as well. While there are many ignorant doctors when it comes to ADHD, Barkley is not one of them.

The other thing is that for many (not all) adults, that physical hyperactivity decreases with age.

I'm going to see THE ADHD EXPERT in Auckland soon, I have so many questions I'll probably drive him berserk, but I'd say hes used to it.....

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 8:22 am

Verdandi wrote:
This conclusion was drawn through longitudinal studies and documented by Dr. Russell Barkley in a few places. There's a video on youtube where he talks about it as well. While there are many ignorant doctors when it comes to ADHD, Barkley is not one of them.

Oh thanks for pointing it out, I'm watching it at the moment. :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3d1SwUXMc0[/youtube]

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 9:30 am

Ad(h)d and autism spectrum are comorbid

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 10:07 am

Heidi80 wrote:

Well true, but a lot of psychiatric diagnoses are comorbid with ASD.

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 10:12 am

No, those conditions are not on the spectrum.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 11:30 am

It is not officially on the spectrum, and I personally don't consider it on the spectrum either. My niece has ADHD, and she is not autistic-like at all.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 11:31 am

Heidi80 wrote:

They CAN be comorbid. I don't have adhd, and I have classic autism.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 3:10 pm

The social functioning problems in ASD and ADHD have different causes. The behavioral similarities in social functioning are superficial. The ADHD social functioning problems are milder than the ASD ones, which is why ADHD is sometimes placed at the top of the autism spectrum.

The eggsecutive functioning problems, I am not sure about. Most of my eggsecutive functioning problems seem to be caused by a general drop in cognitive functioning caused by sensory overload around hooomans in the world outside. I don't have significant eggsecutive functioning problems when I am alone in my room. Any of my eggsecutive functioning problems that are caused by autism are mild compared to the eggsecutive functioning problems of ADHD.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 3:38 pm

Due to rebound effect after a long period of self medicating,
I'm a total rotator at the moment

Cant watch TV
Cant pay bills
Cant read a book

I can walk 10km a day and rave at anyone who happens to looks my way...
I can ride my motorbike really well, but a bit too fast....

The emotional component of wanting to do something vrs
Something not enjoyable that needs doing

is

someone concurrent with an ASD special interest

I'm sure there are other similarities too

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

20 Sep 2012, 12:43 pm

Surfman wrote:
I'm going to see THE ADHD EXPERT in Auckland soon, I have so many questions I'll probably drive him berserk, but I'd say hes used to it.....

Sounds promising, and he probably is.

I should clarify that I think you're not wrong about people being assumed to grow out of it when they've just become less hyperactive. That is, I agree with you, I just think there are also people who really do.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 3:06 pm

Verdandi wrote:
.....people being assumed to grow out of it........ I just think there are also people who really do.

I spoke at length with a pharmacist recently
But she spoke highly of meditation....
Which has been shown by recent tests
To remodel the functioning of the brain....

So yes its possible to turn off
and turn on sectors of the brain
by the action of willpower
and intent

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 3:12 pm

I wish I had ADHD on it's own. AS involves everything; sensory issues, emotion issues, bad coping skills, low self-esteem, lack of confidence, anxiety, routine desire, addictive obsessions, outbursts, thinking oddly, acting oddly, talking oddly, walking oddly, liking odd things, insanity to NTs, stimming, and the most awful one of all: social awkwardness not just in one way but in almost every area.

According to this thread, people with ADHD are just hyper but otherwise are perfectly normal people. Did I miss something?