Is mathematics real or just a human invention?

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Evinceo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Sep 2012, 12:05 am

Reality is a human invention.

Plodder
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 12:24 am

JakobVirgil wrote:

What if they count by using a new symbol for each prime and naming composites by their prime factorization.

1 = *
2 = A
3 = B
4 = AA
5 = C
6 = AB
7 = D
8 = AAA
9 = BB
10 = AC
11 = D
12 = AAB
this would make them as annoying as hell.

Are you referring to Roman numerals?

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 3:50 pm

TallyMan wrote:
Yes indeed and as someone else pointed out, our little alien friend here would also likely count using base 6. I'm referring solely to the fixed principles or "laws" of mathematics rather than the techniques, terminology and methodology used to express those principles.

There's an extent at which some mathematical laws are a product of our notation. 0.9^ = 1 is an example of that.

If we are talking about aliens that may as well be based on completely different chemicals than us. They may not even be using polynomials to define their numbers. If the Romans survived so long with their stupid number system, maybe the aliens managed to do it with something like that. Maybe the aliens are so strange that they use base 0.1 or base pi?

You could see it as just translation. And it is just translation. But what if our languages are so different that their language allowed them to find stuff that we didn't and vice versa? Or so different that we can't share knowledge with each other.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 7:14 pm

TallyMan wrote:
visagrunt wrote:
How can we find i in the natural world? And by extension any of the complex numbers?

When I was a physics student (long time ago) i cropped up quite a lot, especially in electrical theory. I found it somewhat puzzling at the time just how useful complex numbers were in describing the physics of reality.

True. Imaginary numbers are VERY useful when it comes to phasors (which in turn is used when working on filters).