Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Civ001
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Sep 2012, 5:39 pm

So lately I for some reason have not been interested in playing video games. I enjoy playing them once in a while but most of my time is spent on the internet watching other people play video games or something esle. I also have a tendancy to get bored with the games that I play for a month and want to switch. Is there anyone like me who gets bored of playing video games but want to come back to them?

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 6:13 pm

I was never into video games to begin with...my older cousins let me play Pokemon on their Gameboys a couple of times, but that was about as far as it got for me. It was just never something that interested me much. :shrug: I didn't have anything AGAINST them, I just never became exposed to them enough to really become involved with them. Perhaps if my household had been one that promoted video games (my parents preferred books, Disney movies, and classical music) I would have become interested in them, but it wasn't, and I didn't.

I AM pretty impressed with the effects and realistic animation that a lot of video games have these days, tho. :D

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

Future_Perfect
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Sep 2012, 7:11 pm

I am similar. It's mostly because I haven't had a games console or a decent computer in quite some time, but I do enjoy watching Let's Plays and stuff like that. If I do play a game, I get stressed out by events in the game, and feel a very strong need to make everything okay or to collect everything. Something that worries me is that most recent games seem to have Achievements, and things like that make me obsessive in a not-very-fun way.

Morningstar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Sep 2012, 8:39 pm

I've always liked games, but never been the type of person who can sit there for hours playing them. I think it took me around a year or two to finish Final Fantasy VII. Oh yeah, I did do all the extra stuff like raising Chocobos and getting some special materia to beat the final boss quickly...

I have so many games that I've finished but never completed because I moved onto another one. Maybe it just has to do with your attention span? Mine is pretty limited and I get bored or distracted easily. I think that's why I've never been able to sit and play games, or really do anything, for hours unless I'm really engaged. Then I can't get up from my seat, lol.

But I guess I'm actually sort of the opposite--getting more into video games lately--so I can't entirely relate :/ I think I do feel that way about drawing/artwork, though. It sucks when you want to get into something again but can't seem to get the old fire back. I think I know what you're feeling.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2012, 11:56 pm

This gaming industry at large have a dumbed down conformist outlook in order to gain sales from casual gamers. Evolution of video games is halted due to this. Games are not getting any better these days, they are all just the same, just sprinkle a little faerie dust on them to make them seem like more than something they are, and walla you got a new $60 game. The only single player games I can enjoy now are Morrowind and Skyrim, and I do get bored of them after a bit, but I come back to them from time to time. Morrowind has been getting modded for over 10 years so that keeps it interesting, and Skyrim is getting lots of good mods lately as well.

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 3:05 am

Pondering wrote:
This gaming industry at large have a dumbed down conformist outlook in order to gain sales from casual gamers.

Agreed. I was slowly losing my interest in videogames too, and starting to contemplate whether I should really consider it my primary hobby anymore. Then, when I picked up my pre-order of Persona 4: Arena, on the day of its release, I decided to go back and play Persona 4, with the intention of beating it this time(and I have gotten the good ending so far, and am going to go back for the true ending). Now, my interest in videogames has been reignited. I think the problem was that I was playing too much modern garbage, and not enough games with substance. Of course, there are good modern games, but they are the exception, not the rule, and I find that the majority of so called "AAA" titles I've played are really just highly overrated. Skyrim's the only wrpg I've played so far that I actually kind of enjoy, and I wouldn't exactly call it "best game ever" material. I've never played Morrowind, but I hear it's better than Skyrim, so if the rumors of it coming to psn pan out, I might give it a try.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 8:44 pm

There's a rumor Morrowind may come to PS? Wow, that's some news... But if it's true, good on them! Morrowind is a major classic, it changed the way I look at games and took hundreds of hours away from my life, most of which I enjoyed! The debate of what's better Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim is a pretty drawn out. Morrowind has more content, the absolute best and most interesting lore, personality regarding graphics, towns, NPC's, a larger world than oblivion, and the map is just as big as Skyrim. The downside to Morrowind is much less voice acting so you have to read a lot, lower end graphics for consoles (Mods only on PC so I recommend getting the PC version as the mods gives the game current gen craphics) this game is like 12 years old after all, oldschool weapon animations, and you do lots of running around and exploring as there is no fast travel, besides silt striders and boats to specific locations (This is a hit or miss for people. I personally enjoy exploring on foot instead of being warped to a location via magic carpet interface, it just makes the game more epic feeling). I have to recommend the PC version though, you get so much more from over a decade worth of dedicated mods out there, from better graphics, more quests, items, monsters, NPC's, lore, to entirely new massive zones.

Tross wrote:
Pondering wrote:
This gaming industry at large have a dumbed down conformist outlook in order to gain sales from casual gamers.

Agreed. I was slowly losing my interest in videogames too, and starting to contemplate whether I should really consider it my primary hobby anymore. Then, when I picked up my pre-order of Persona 4: Arena, on the day of its release, I decided to go back and play Persona 4, with the intention of beating it this time(and I have gotten the good ending so far, and am going to go back for the true ending). Now, my interest in videogames has been reignited. I think the problem was that I was playing too much modern garbage, and not enough games with substance. Of course, there are good modern games, but they are the exception, not the rule, and I find that the majority of so called "AAA" titles I've played are really just highly overrated. Skyrim's the only wrpg I've played so far that I actually kind of enjoy, and I wouldn't exactly call it "best game ever" material. I've never played Morrowind, but I hear it's better than Skyrim, so if the rumors of it coming to psn pan out, I might give it a try.

BeauZa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2012, 10:09 am

Your circumstances bear an uncanny likeness to my own.
Video games have started to feel like such a hollow pastime of late that I only ever play up to two hours each day, if that, and there are certainly bouts of wanting to stop some games and start others! I have a rule that I may only play one Final Fantasy at a time that I may effectively digest the story, but I love them all!