Page 6 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

25 Sep 2012, 3:57 pm

ruveyn wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Any one who eats meat or uses animal bone in any way has no business objecting to fur.

Animals are there in nature and can be taken and used. We don't have to be cruel and nasty about it, but animal stuff is useful for humans and therefore will be used.

ruveyn

So how do you feel about some humans creating an entirely new species(not biological but robotic) which are even more intelligent than humans, along with being physically stronger since they are made of metal, who use humans the way humans use animals?

As long as the humans have a fool proof kill switch to shut off these thingies, I see no problem with it.

ruveyn

So you presume that NO ONE might deliberately create a sentient machine that has no such foolproof kill switch. Well, that's extremely naive to say the least.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2012, 4:20 pm

Interesting that you pose your question in the form, "So how do you feel about some humans creating an entirely new species..."

There is an important distinction between--let's call them Cylons--exploiting humans and humans exploiting animals.

We are sapient. And even if we were to create Cylons (and thereby be the authors of our own misfortune), that would not diminish our sapience. Even if an extra terrestrial species were to show up and attempt to enslave us, that would not diminish our sapience.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2012, 4:53 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Any one who eats meat or uses animal bone in any way has no business objecting to fur.

Animals are there in nature and can be taken and used. We don't have to be cruel and nasty about it, but animal stuff is useful for humans and therefore will be used.

ruveyn

So how do you feel about some humans creating an entirely new species(not biological but robotic) which are even more intelligent than humans, along with being physically stronger since they are made of metal, who use humans the way humans use animals?

Why would anybody want to do that?

I honestly cannot explain as it seems so very irrational. But the best insight I can offer is that a person might want to do this because of a desire to play God. Just as people have started apocalyptic cults with the objective of bringing about the end of the world as we know it.

Yeah but it would cost millions to create that and it's free to start a cult. It's just not going to happen. If it were possible to create that, the military would be working on it.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

25 Sep 2012, 5:03 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

Why would anybody want to do that?

I honestly cannot explain as it seems so very irrational. But the best insight I can offer is that a person might want to do this because of a desire to play God. Just as people have started apocalyptic cults with the objective of bringing about the end of the world as we know it.

Yeah but it would cost millions to create that and it's free to start a cult. It's just not going to happen. If it were possible to create that, the military would be working on it.

Hold on a minute, why would the military want to create a technology that cannot be controlled? And who says they
aren't already working on something similar? If you say it's just not going to happen anytime soon, you're certainly correct. Not ever? You have no way of knowing. The technology for strong AI has yet to be developed. So why is "strong AI" impossible? Your explanation is not logically valid.

EmoGlambertAspie
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2013, 11:52 pm

Lord_Gareth wrote:
I'm mostly indifferent on the subject of wearing fur. About the extent of my interest in the topic is that I'd desire certainty that the product was:

1. Created as humanely as possible, with little (or preferably no) pain to the animal(s) in question.

2. Created in a sustainable fashion, and not from species that are endangered or otherwise at risk.

3. Created and sold legally.

If all three of those things are in place, let the fur fly, so to speak.

This. I agree with all these. I used to be very antifur and still wouldn't buy one for myself but my position has evolved to be similar to my thoughts on abortion, guns, gay marriage and other things: If you don't like it don't buy it or do it, but hassling other lpeople will turn them off to your cause even more.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2013, 7:28 pm

I have an absolutely gorgeous faux fur throw that is incredibly soft and warm, and looks just like real fur. I've had it for about half a year, and while I don't think it will last as long as the real thing (the fibers get crimped), the fact that nothing had to be skinned to make it makes it worthwhile. Faux fur has come a really long ways in the last few decades.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2013, 7:43 pm

LKL wrote:
I have an absolutely gorgeous faux fur throw that is incredibly soft and warm, and looks just like real fur. I've had it for about half a year, and while I don't think it will last as long as the real thing (the fibers get crimped), the fact that nothing had to be skinned to make it makes it worthwhile. Faux fur has come a really long ways in the last few decades.

You're right about (good) faux fur, but leatherette is still rubbish.

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2013, 8:18 pm

I think fake fur is better than real fur, personally because it is more humane, and no animals are harmed making fake fur. Plus, I have at least one item that is made of fake fur.