Page 1 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 5:52 am

Are you for people being able to wear fur, against it, or really don't care either way?

I am personally for it because I like fur. My opinion is that animals have been used for food and for clothing forever, and I don't see a problem with it simply because we have other options. Leather is still used extensively and you rarely see the reaction to it that you see to someone wearing fur.

I have a few furs and I wear them. I've had them a very long time, and they hold up well. Better than my other coats and jackets, that's for sure.

So, what's your opinion on fur and why do you hold it?

Also, why do you think that fur gets such bad press when most people don't even notice leather?

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

megahertz
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Sep 2012, 7:01 am

I'm a very peaceful person. I don't kill without need and I won't pay others to do so. I wouldn't eat meat unless I'd starve to death and I wouldn't wear animal skin unless I'd have to go naked. But I know, that's just my opinion. Most other people consider themselves predators. I don't want to mess with them, so I don't like to discuss such things anymore.

Why leather doesn't get bad press? Well, I think there are two reasons:
1) Ignorance.
2) Many people consider leather a by-product of meat production.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 7:29 am

Megahertz, I agree that people don't pay leather much attention and I do think a lot of it is hypocrisy.. Here is a funny story about that.

About 18 years ago my husband took a year off of construction and ran a vegetarian restaurant for some people we knew who owned a major health food store in our city. Now, they were big time vegetarians and so very self righteous about it but they knew we ween't. They were so strict about it that they actually got mad at him for eating a sausage biscuit inside the store one morning when he had to get there early to order stuff. The store was closed, only he and I were there and the owner came in and threw a fit that there was a sausage patty inside his sacred store! Oh no! Meat! The poor little piggy!

On the other side of the wall was a large display of suede and leather clogs and sandals. I don't think that cow lost it's skin voluntarily nor was it removed in surgery to get rid of the excess after liposuction. ;-)

They also sold shark cartiledge.

It was pretty hypocritical if you ask me.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

20 Sep 2012, 8:01 am

Well it's sorta tacky looking but overall no I don't have a problem with it. I think most of the really anti-fur people are usually very childish and unthinking, how many of them have the same zeal against leather? I guess fur coats and such come from cuter animals. It just all seems very superficial. I have to imagine a lot of the synthetic materials people would alternatively use are probably harmful to the environment.

Last edited by Jacoby on 20 Sep 2012, 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

20 Sep 2012, 8:21 am

I can't wait until the time when Robots prey on humans as though we're a natural resource the way humans prey on animals. That being said I hate fur as it makes me very angry whereas leather is something I have no problem with. IDC if that's hypocritical.

It is unacceptable to kill ANY member of the Cat family for any reason.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 8:28 am

I have heard that certain types of fur are gotten by skinning animals alive. It makes the fur better, or something. That's pretty horrific.

20 Sep 2012, 8:32 am

YippySkippy wrote:
I have heard that certain types of fur are gotten by skinning animals alive. It makes the fur better, or something. That's pretty horrific.

Makes me want to take those people who do this and scald them to death by hosing them down with boiling water, remove their organs, and then sell them on the black market. :skull:

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 8:35 am

YippySkippy wrote:

I've never heard of that at all. What is it they do that to? I can't see how it would effect the quality of the fur.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 8:37 am

AspieRogue wrote:
I can't wait until the time when Robots prey on humans as though we're a natural resource the way humans prey on animals. That being said I hate fur as it makes me very angry whereas leather is something I have no problem with. IDC if that's hypocritical.

It is unacceptable to kill ANY member of the Cat family for any reason.

I have a sable, a fox and a mink but my leopard coat is fake as can be. One of those vintage short coats from the late 60's early 70's that doesn't try to look real at all. So none of mine are from cats.

megahertz
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Sep 2012, 8:42 am

YippySkippy wrote:
I have heard that certain types of fur are gotten by skinning animals alive.

I read about some animals getting killed by suffocation to keep the fur in one single piece. I wouldn't feel good in a coat that's been produced that way.

By the way, most of my friends are non-vegetarians. I don't mind them wearing leather, because it is the skin of the animals they eat. It would be a bad waste to throw it away. But I don't know anybody who eats mink. ;)

Jacoby wrote:
I have to imagine a lot of the synthetic materials people would alternatively use are probably harmful to the environment.

Cotton monoculture actually is harmful to the environment. The only non-harmful way to produce cloth is a broad mix of all materials: Linen, nettle fibre, hemp fibre, sheep wool, cotton, and so on ... ... ... and, of course, clothes that you can wear for many years instead of one fashion season. ;)

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 12:46 pm

I am very much in favour of fur being used for clothing.

1) Fur is a natural product that presents superior insulation, water resistance and durability. A properly made and cared for fur coat will last for decades. Even a well made synthetic coat will not last more than a few years.

2) Fur is a renewable resource, provided that farming and hunting practices are undertaken sustainably. On the other hand, most artificial fur is made from synthetic fibres whose production has a much greater environmental impact.

3) Hunters and fur farmers are, by and large, small scale operations. The manufacture of synthetic fur, on the other hand, is primarily in the hands of a few multinational producers of synthetic fibres.

The fact that sables are cute and fuzzy, and cows are not does not make the sable coat any less acceptable than the leather coat. Provided that the animals from whom the pelts are taken are well treated and killed humanely and sustainably, I am content to see animal products used to the fullest extend possible.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 12:50 pm

I'm not opposed to the concept for reasons similar to visagrunt; but I do find many styles of fur clothing very, very tacky.

20 Sep 2012, 12:53 pm

visagrunt wrote:
I am very much in favour of fur being used for clothing.

1) Fur is a natural product that presents superior insulation, water resistance and durability. A properly made and cared for fur coat will last for decades. Even a well made synthetic coat will not last more than a few years.

2) Fur is a renewable resource, provided that farming and hunting practices are undertaken sustainably. On the other hand, most artificial fur is made from synthetic fibres whose production has a much greater environmental impact.

3) Hunters and fur farmers are, by and large, small scale operations. The manufacture of synthetic fur, on the other hand, is primarily in the hands of a few multinational producers of synthetic fibres.

The fact that sables are cute and fuzzy, and cows are not does not make the sable coat any less acceptable than the leather coat. Provided that the animals from whom the pelts are taken are well treated and killed humanely and sustainably, I am content to see animal products used to the fullest extend possible.

Are you in favor human organs being extracted without the consent of the donors? As in compulsory organ donation? I certainly am. :wink:

And I will be honest, certain killers should be executed so that their organs can be used to save lives. Because their actions have forfeited the sanctity of their lives whereas innocent people will receive the gift of life from putting these people to death. Human products, unlike animal products, are not only lifesaving, they are extremely profitable.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 1:14 pm

If people want to wear fur its up to them. But what I dislike is the way animals are farmed by major firms like PetSmart etc.

I eat meat and I approve of vivisection but wearing fur seems more of a vanity issue.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 1:17 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
Are you in favor human organs being extracted without the consent of the donors? As in compulsory organ donation? I certainly am. :wink:

And I will be honest, certain killers should be executed so that their organs can be used to save lives. Because their actions have forfeited the sanctity of their lives whereas innocent people will receive the gift of life from putting these people to death. Human products, unlike animal products, are not only lifesaving, they are extremely profitable.

I don't believe that human beings should be hunted by other humans, or be farmed. I do subscribe to the view that human life has a different, superior level of worth than animal life.

And as for "certain killers," I take the view that there is no action--even on the part of the most heinous killer, that forfeits the sanctity of thier lives. Their liberty, yes. But not their lives.

20 Sep 2012, 1:23 pm

visagrunt wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:

I don't believe that human beings should be hunted by other humans, or be farmed. I do subscribe to the view that human life has a different, superior level of worth than animal life.

And as for "certain killers," I take the view that there is no action--even on the part of the most heinous killer, that forfeits the sanctity of thier lives. Their liberty, yes. But not their lives.

Well visagrunt, I'm afraid I don't share you view on this. Your attitude towards killers is purely sentimental, and not rational whatsoever.

Last edited by AspieRogue on 20 Sep 2012, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.