Embarrassed to tell people i'm Aspergers?

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

raydon
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Sep 2012, 4:28 pm

Quote:
i'm in my final year at uni now (3rd year) ive done 2yrs, i've made no friends and spent most my time alone in my room, but only thing which kept me going was thinking "im here to get an education" then it made me feel abit focused and not feeling like a loser, cos although im a loser for having no friends, im winning cos im getting good grades,, i've totally not been partying or nothing im not in to that stuff , i'm just very quiet, i like watching TV and going on laptop, and being in bed and not mixing (i dont like it, cos its not right , but its what makes me feel safe), its deffo taken chunks out of my self-esteem but i feel quite proud that i didn't quit, i was going to so many times, but i stuck at it just to get the grades

My university experience was very similar, except I didn't know I had Aspergers at the time, I was just alone, so I can empathise with that. You have done really well to stick it out, and with just over 6 months to go I would advise carrying on as you are, and focus on the work. This is your strength, and your self esteem will get a great boost when you graduate. Not being a party animal doesn't make you a loser. Get your energy level up, eat well, and go for it!

yellowrah
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Sep 2012, 5:03 pm

Quote:
My university experience was very similar, except I didn't know I had Aspergers at the time, I was just alone, so I can empathise with that. You have done really well to stick it out, and with just over 6 months to go I would advise carrying on as you are, and focus on the work. This is your strength, and your self esteem will get a great boost when you graduate. Not being a party animal doesn't make you a loser. Get your energy level up, eat well, and go for it!

thanks :D i only got diagnosed with aspergers on wednesday, i went to register with my GP at the university and he referred me to the mental health team for an assessment cos my old GP had me on too many meds, which took months but this woman thought i had a personality disorder at the MHT, so i got referred on many months later i to a psychiatrist and psychologist to see me togeather, then they referred me on for an aspergers asssessment, its taken 2 years of being pasted on and waiting but i got diagnosed with aspergers, and if i didnt go uni that wouldnt of happened cos my local area back home with my parents wouldnt of ever done that.

so moving to uni has helped me understand myself by getting the aspergers dx too :) thanks yorkshire lol

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 7:22 pm

I'm not officially diagnosed (like my signature says) but it seems likely that it is gonna happen (like my signature says :p). I've told a few people what is going on and I think if/when it becomes official then I wont be keeping it to myself and not telling people. I act pretty crazy sometimes and I think it would be good for people to have an understanding of *why* I am the way I sometimes am e.g. when I get upset by a noisy social situation with lots of people and leave suddenly people wont think I am just being an ass. If people are gonna judge or treat me like a child based on me being autistic then they are probably not people I'm interested in spending time with anyway so as far as I'm concerned telling people is a useful idiot-avoidance test. That's not to say I'll be all like "Hi I'm Sean and I'm an aspie". More like if I act odd (like reacting strangely to loud noise or totally misunderstanding someone repeatedly) then I'll tell them.

bruinsy33
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2012, 9:29 pm

yellowrah wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Quote:
I think it's not a case of one option is the best for everyone. Everyone is different and Asperger's affects them in vastly different ways. It all comes down to whether you are happy just being considered a bit 'weird' if your symptoms are mild enough.

This.

true :D i do get called weird but sometimes people say it in a kind way :D
I am considered eccentric and weird at work but in a good way. If I were to tell people at work that I had AS the majority of them wouldn't know what it was anyway. :lol: