Can depression/anxiety symptoms in aspergers be different?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Bonafan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Sep 2012, 1:49 pm

Hi

I had to see the doc after getting panic attacks and they gave me a questionnaire to do in which the results suggested that I was severely depressed. They asked me if I agreed and I said that I wasn't sure.

My friends always call me Dr. Spock as I tend to be rather logical in how I process things and don't really take much notice of emotion.

One of the questions that I was questioned on was whether I wanted to die or not. I said yes when getting a panic attack as it would be the easiest way to fix the problem.

So, I guess the question is, does anyone else have these problems in recognising, explaining and applying emotion to their life?

Thanks

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 1:57 pm

Very much so and there is a fancy term for it: Alexithymia I've scored all over the place on those self-assessment questionnaires and it really depends on what I'm interpreting for my mood at the time. I think it's just hard for us to answer some of those questions because of the tendency to take things literally, etc.Alexithymia

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 3:23 pm

I have a long history of depression. I guess it's the same as depression is with NT's. I've had a serious suicide attempt which required hospitalization. I'm on a med for depression.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 4:39 pm

We do seem to react differently than NTs to a lot of things. Also, I have often had a problem filling out questionnaires. I tend to answer a question literally, but often the questions are ambiguous as to what sort of answer they want, or I may have more than one answer/factor to a question that only wants one answer, or I may have an answer that includes some qualifiers, but the questionnaire doesn't allow for that, instead calling for a more rigid, simplistic answer. I also tend to take a lot longer to fill the darned things out, as it takes so long for me to process just what they want in an answer, and for each question! :roll: