Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Moze
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Sep 2012, 5:37 pm

I am a 22 year old female.

I was diagnosed with schizoaffective since I was 17 and then Paranoid Schizophrenia. Which in truth, seems to explain a lot. Although, I understand it better than I understand Autistic disorders.

What for me it doesnt explain is my lack of being social when I was younger, first of all. I'm just asking for some advice probably. I didnt want to delve too deep into characteristics unless someone had a question for me, or something like that.

My social life since I was in grade school in kindergarten has always been severely lacking with what most if not 99% of the kids in my school had. I did manage to have one boyfriend, who doubled as my only friend, too. I did not at all get along my peers, I was a loner really, and stood out extremely far from everyone else. I had trouble understanding the social constructs of peers, basically. I was bullied by everyone regardless of their age or gender or race. My interests were on a more mature level that didnt include anything social. I started, early, avoiding people and my peers. I got afraid to be around others because I knew there was something off about me and people would say it - but no one would tell me. I never knew why.

Im not quite sure what to put to get my point across, but I am reluctant to bring it up to my psychiatrist because of my longstanding history - well 4-5 years with a schizophrenia spectrum disorder. Also for fear that I may be shut down verbally for wanting to find out. I'm afraid, I dont know how to go about it.

Thanks,
Moze

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 6:30 pm

try this test: www.iautistic.com/test_AS.php take it from the point of view of yourself as a child, so you can anser the schizophrenia question, "no."

there are good descriptions of aspergers at AARP and webMD sites. once you figure out for yourself whether you think you have AS, you can broach the subject with your doc and give him/her the evidence.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 6:41 pm

Do some research on Autism spectrum disorders. This is a good place for that. The General Autism Forum here has some post articles with links to online Autism/Aspergers tests.

You don't mention any sensory or physical problems. People on the spectrum usually have a grab bag of problems including social, physical, and sensory problems. Just having social problems along with your Schizoid problems may indicate a social disorder other than a spectrum disorder. You can look into that both here at WP, and on the general internet search engines. By using both WP, and the I-net research resources, I've gotten a much better understanding of my own condition. That has helped me cope better. So has networking here at WP. :D

Have a good voyage of personal discovery! :D

Moze
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Sep 2012, 7:06 pm

Yea i didnt know what to mention first, because its all very overwhelming to me. I have extreme difficulty making eye contact to the point of getting myself into trouble in school. Teachers thought I was autistic and I was made fun of for it by other kids, but I've never been diagnosed as such. I could go off and list a bunch of stuff but I will try the test first again. Ill come back with that. Thank you.

Edit//
I took that test on that link. It just said likely to be autistic.

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 7:14 pm

In my opinion, all the Asperger's tests are BS. You need to get a real diagnosis.

Moze
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Sep 2012, 7:25 pm

Yea Im extremely hesitant to diagnose myself. I mean I cant properly. Although, I do not know if its worth it to ask my doctor or let it all go to the back of my mind. Thats what i'm trying to figure.

It won't take anything away. I believe it may only add to it, so..yea I'm hung on whats the best thing to do.

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 1:45 pm

bizboy1 wrote:
In my opinion, all the Asperger's tests are BS. You need to get a real diagnosis.

I don't have any trust on the professional diagnosis either. Many times they think they know everything about you and your life but the feelings and past events are way more complicated than just a small description (and people, generally, are very subjective). I've seen many members here complaining they went through lots of diagnoses... so i guess some are not educated enough or human brain is just too complicated.

Not saying that all the diagnoses are wrong just that I can't rely on them.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 12:58 pm

You could try explaining your experience and ask for the psychiatrists input, does your psychiatrist usually shut you down for wanting to find out all you can about your condition?

Moze
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Sep 2012, 1:56 pm

no he doesnt. i just dont know how to bring it up.

but thank you ill try that.