Curiosity Question about Illness and Doctors

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 5:45 pm

I hope this is not a stupid question. I'm down with a flu and am very interested about one thing... how can a person go to the doctor to get a doctor's note if they are in such a state that they can barely walk? I actually remember being quite sick during a test, but I did it anyway because I could actually walk to school and spend a day there with the appropriate medication.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 6:23 pm

if a person can "barely walk", they should take an ambulance to the hospital. plenty of docs there to write notes.

conan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 6:45 pm

i think it's usually acceptable to go once your getting better or are better and get the note backdated

questor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 6:59 pm

Need medicine to get well, but too sick to go get it. Been there, and done that. When I had my shingles attack a few years ago, I didn't know what it was and naturally tried treating it myself with different things I had around the house, over several days. Nothing worked and the condition got worse. By the time I was finally ready to throw in the towel and get professional help, I was in too much pain to drive myself to the hospital emergency ward. I had to call my parents to take me. Fortunately, it was during the summer, when they are up here at their summer home. They spend the cold months in Florida.

If you really can't get out, and can't get a friend or relative to drive you, there are some home remedies that can help with the flu. Take very warm, but not too hot baths. Drink plenty of very warm liquids, soups, broths, etc. Take aspirin. If you have a cough, take any cough remedies you have on hand including cough drops. Use a menthol rub for your chest and under your nose to help you breathe better. Eat fruits, including citrus fruits. Put honey and lemon in tea or even just plain hot water. Take Vitamin D. And get plenty of rest!

I have a disadvantage in the hot liquids department. I absolutely can't stand soups and broths, but I can drink hot drinks, so I get by with that. Peppermint tea is good for colds and flu, and I like it, too, so I keep that on hand, but even hot water will provide some benefit.

Hope this helps. :D

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 7:18 pm

You could possibly call your doctors office and ask if his nurse could call you back. When she does, tell her whats going on and that you need a note. She will probably do that for you, especially if she can tell that you're sick or if you ask for something to be called in for you.

If that isn't possible then get somebody to take you to the ER and tell the triage nurse how sick you are and ask to go lay down somewhere. They will take you back as soon as they can, and you can see the dr.

You can also go when you're feeling a little better, but before you go back to work/school and tell them how sick you were and how many days you were home and ask them to write a note saying they saw you on that day and that you complained of the symptoms for the past however many days. If they have a problem writing notes for the days before, because they didn't see you, they can just write something like "Questor was seen in our office on 9/21. Patient stated he had the symptoms for the past 3 days" That way they aren't saying they know you were sick they are saying you told them you have been sick. It will probably be obvious to them that you were sick though. Also, if your doctors office has a problem with notes, just call the nurse now, a few days before you go in to see the doc and tell her you're sick and ask what you can do for it until you are able to come see him.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 7:50 pm

Okay. I guess you're expected to go to the ER then if you're super sick and can't go to school and that's how you get a doctor's note. That makes sense. Yeah, we don't have cars and a the few people I know who do have cars are either too far away or tend to be afraid of catching infections diseases anyway.

Thanks! That solved that one.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Logan5
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2012, 12:41 am

MathGirl, if you are very sick and you want/need treatment, then you should either go to your doctor's office, or to the ER / A&E. If you are very sick, but all you want is a doctor's note confirming this, then I recommend following OliveOilMom's suggestion. Going to the ER / A&E just to get a note will probably piss off the staff there--they will see it as a waste of their time. (Most people recover from the flu on their own, but it can be fatal in some people.)

I hope you get well soon.

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 1:30 am

conan wrote:
i think it's usually acceptable to go once your getting better or are better and get the note backdated
This and

OliveOilMom wrote:
You could possibly call your doctors office and ask if his nurse could call you back. When she does, tell her whats going on and that you need a note. She will probably do that for you, especially if she can tell that you're sick or if you ask for something to be called in for you.

If that isn't possible then get somebody to take you to the ER and tell the triage nurse how sick you are and ask to go lay down somewhere. They will take you back as soon as they can, and you can see the dr.

Only it's more advisable where I live to go to Urgent Care than the ER unless you have an HMO that pays for everything. ERs are mindbogglingly expensive. This is also a reason it's good to have a regular primary care doctor, so you have one that knows you (as well as they can know someone they see for 10 minutes every few months) that you can call for things like this.