Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

MrJosh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Sep 2012, 7:43 pm

Hi,

Over the past few years, I've been learning more and more that I actually miss/dont notice alot of things that happen in social situations.

For example, I could be out with a few friends, at a party etc. And I could miss some things - some seemingly obvious, others less so. For example, I could be having a conversation with people, they could have what I thought was a joke at the time, only to find out later that it was actually an arguement, or an exchange of words that lead onto an arguement.

Then there are other things that I'm not getting, for example I thought I was good with sarcasm, but I'm actually only good with it (I think good anyway!) when I'm actually being sarcastic, or some people who I am used to are. If a person I'm not sure of came up and was sarcastic in a social situation I might take offence.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that, I could go on but I don't want to make too much to read.

I guess I am just wondering if anyone can relate?

alecazam3567
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Sep 2012, 10:56 pm

Why yes I can.
I can relate to all of that. Especially the thing about a joke actually being an argument. That seems to happen a lot.

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 11:30 pm

Story of my life...

And then everything I missed is held against me.

Buttoneater
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Sep 2012, 11:40 pm

I'm pretty sure even NT's feel that way some of the time.

Pileo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 11:51 pm

When it comes to jokes and arguments, men are the worst. With females, it's pretty obvious because they can be downright vicious in an argument, but with men, they can have a debate and swing from "joking" to "serious" and back to "joking" within 30 seconds. I saw it one time at a dinner party down L.A. when I was younger. A group of men, stereotypical rich guy types, having a debate about European politics and it blew my mind! I thought my uncle was going to punch the guy, but instead he hugged him, laughed and then gave him a backhanded compliment.

Sometimes I also can miss the seriousness of a situation. I would get in trouble a lot for cracking jokes in those moments.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

22 Sep 2012, 12:47 am

That's actually happened to me a few times. Although, at other times, I seem to get the joke.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Minim
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2012, 3:28 am

I don't think I've ever interpreted an argument as a joke, but I've interpreted not too serious things as arguments. And don't get me started on teasing... :wall: :wall:

I once thought I was good with sarcasm, until one day somebody basically said "no, you're not" and whether it was sarcasm or truth it told me that I actually wasn't. :roll:

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 3:55 am

What exactly is the point of teasing? It seems cruel to me.

treblecake
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2012, 7:43 am

I find it the other way, I usually misinterpret people joking as arguing.

alecazam3567
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Sep 2012, 8:07 am

Minim wrote:
And don't get me started on teasing... :wall: :wall:

I made a thread about this just because you reminded me how much it gets on my nerves. Such literal minds we have. :?

GreyGooTheory
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Sep 2012, 9:48 am

alecazam3567 wrote:
Minim wrote:

I made a thread about this just because you reminded me how much it gets on my nerves. Such literal minds we have. :?

Teasing makes me panic and implode. I can survive in a social situation until teasing starts, or teasing jokes.
That's pretty much the moment everything starts to unravel and I'm exposed to the group as being different, and not in a good way to their eyes.

Australia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Sep 2012, 9:52 am

GreyGooTheory wrote:
alecazam3567 wrote:
Minim wrote:

Teasing makes me panic and implode. I can survive in a social situation until teasing starts, or teasing jokes.
That's pretty much the moment everything starts to unravel and I'm exposed to the group as being different, and not in a good way to their eyes.

in this situation i say yes im a weirdo so? do i get a medal? if you say this confidently, noone can have a good comeback

Filipendula
Toucan
Toucan

22 Sep 2012, 11:23 am

I'm forever feeling that I'm missing something, but usually I don't know what it is.

I don't have experiences as explicit as those described above, just a subtle sense of always lagging behind, not quite grasping conversations etc.

For example I'm forever saying things like "sorry what?" or "huh?" when two or more people are talking around me. I think they think I don't hear, which is sometimes true, but often it's more that it just didn't make sense and I think that if they repeat what they said to each other or one more time I might twig what it is the 'group' is talking about. I frequently try this a few times if I'm just not catching on to the point or the tone of a conversation and if I still can't get it, I just give up and tag along silently instead and stop trying to understand. Consequently I have a reputation for being a bit dopey.

RDOS Aspie score: 115/200; NT score: 79/200

SavageMessiah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Sep 2012, 11:28 am

When I'm sarcastic, people don't get it. When they're sarcastic, I don't get it...

Two different brands I suppose...