Initial diagnoses and possible neurotransmitter relation

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2006, 3:14 pm

Meg623,

Now that I think about it, pain reliveers NEVER helped with things like headaches! Milk kept me awake(I am not lactose intolerant), and coffee tended to put me to sleep if anything. I never did trust medicine. Could that have been because I was autistic? I mean ********NOTHING******** affected headaches until I took doctor perscribed Ibuprofen, at TWICE the recommended maximum dose.

Even the TYROSINE is supposed to RAISE blood pressure, but LOWERED mine!

WOW, if that is because of autism, ANOTHER mystery solved!

Steve

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2006, 4:22 pm

Steve wrote:
Logically, this would have NO effect on AS, other than to improve memory, make you think a little clearer, and be more rested/relaxed. It would do the same with an NT. It would probably have less effect with kids due to diet and requirements.

Since 5-HTP and tyrosine are precursors for Serotonin, melatonin, etc., and all the monamines, it could potentially have a great effect, provided there isn't a synaptic abnormality which even raised nt levels wouldn't budge.

And I think there's probably very few nts that haven't been implicated in ASDs so far. But then again, it seems to differ for each of us person to person.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Mnemosyne
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2006, 5:11 pm

SteveK wrote:
Maybe your right, but that isn't an allergy. BTW you mentioned SSRIs you aren't taking THOSE within a couple weeks of the 5-htp,RIGHT? If you do, it is DANGEROUS, and THAT is probably your problem. The worst that could happen from a thing like that is COMA or DEATH, so it isn't good. cymbalta works by disabling the ability to clean up the seratonin(so it lets you retain more). 5-HTP works by helping you to make more.
Steve

I know it's not an allergy, I never claimed it was...? No, I never took 5-HTP and SSRIs or SNRIs within even the same year. SSRIs are so bad for me that I avoided them for 10 years, until this past July when I let them try out one other SSRI and one SNRI on me before I told them "no more of this." In that 10 years when I took no medications, I tried 5-HTP, but I had such severe reactions to it that I didn't take it for long and don't take it now.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2006, 5:20 pm

Talking about dopamine levels, I had a massive increase in dopamine levels a few years back, which progressively got higher and lead to illness. I now have to take medication that lowers my dopamine. I have noticed that my Asperger's has become much more pronounced since I started on the medication (olanzepine).

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2006, 5:27 pm

But sophist,

Given their own way, AS people tend to be hard working, thorough, and relaxed!

That doesn't indicate any bad NT deficiency. As for me, I was VERY aspie like. It kind of waned, and the acetyl-l-carnitine and tyrosine pretty much brought it back. I want to do more, I CAN do more, even the stims are more frequent, etc... As I said though, the sensory skewing hasn't changed.

I think autism at its most basic level. The reason for the advanced intelligence, the lack of intelligence, sensory skewing, basic programming so to speak, basic potential abilities, emotional differences, and social interaction differences are all caused by ONE thing! And evidence bears this out! NEURONS! 5-HTP and tyrosine will help those to be more efficient, but that is IT! The glial cells WILL be affected but, as others here show, it won't be as fast, or affect the basic structure. The overall structure of the cortex, and hippocampus, CAN be enhanced and even changed to a degree, but that is it.

Steve

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2006, 5:35 pm

SteveK wrote:
But sophist,

Given their own way, AS people tend to be hard working, thorough, and relaxed!

That doesn't indicate any bad NT deficiency. As for me, I was VERY aspie like. It kind of waned, and the acetyl-l-carnitine and tyrosine pretty much brought it back. I want to do more, I CAN do more, even the stims are more frequent, etc... As I said though, the sensory skewing hasn't changed.

I think autism at its most basic level. The reason for the advanced intelligence, the lack of intelligence, sensory skewing, basic programming so to speak, basic potential abilities, emotional differences, and social interaction differences are all caused by ONE thing! And evidence bears this out! NEURONS! 5-HTP and tyrosine will help those to be more efficient, but that is IT! The glial cells WILL be affected but, as others here show, it won't be as fast, or affect the basic structure. The overall structure of the cortex, and hippocampus, CAN be enhanced and even changed to a degree, but that is it.

Steve

Go Steve! What an excellent answer!

Meg623
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Dec 2006, 6:36 pm

Steve,

In one of my school classes I can remember when an instructor told us about the autopsy of Einstein and noted how it showed that he had a significantly higher number of glial cells...interesting but makes some sense if true. What do you think?

Meg :wink:

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2006, 7:08 pm

Meg623 wrote:
Steve,

In one of my school classes I can remember when an instructor told us about the autopsy of Einstein and noted how it showed that he had a significantly higher number of glial cells...interesting but makes some sense if true. What do you think?

Meg :wink:

Well, as I recall, what I heard was they thought Glial cells were for DEMENTIA! Seeing all those glial cells in einsteins brain was a surprise. They then found they support neurons. Later, they found that they can, to a degree, REPLACE neurons! It is still commonly accepted that neurons can't grow.

Apparantly, Einstein developed much of his intelligence after the neurons had basically set, etc... So the glial cells were recruited for the task.

Steve