Concept thinking and impairment of frontal lobes

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Are you a concept thinker?
Cannot think in concepts 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Can think in concepts but its not default state 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
Partial Concept Thinker (Will think in concepts at times, and in words, pictures, patterns, senses, or something else at other points in time) 53%  53%  [ 19 ]
Pure Concept Thinker (Can only think in concepts, cannot think in other types of things) 25%  25%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 36

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 9:53 am

Eloa wrote:
I do not really understand the definition of "concept-thinking", so I don't know if I do it or not.
Is there any clear definition of what "concepts" mean inthis context?

It's hard to describe, but it is something that is a lower level processing than pictures, or words, or senses, or patterns, or any of that. It's processing information directly without any of those types of things helping you process it.

If you think of a dog, then you might think of a picture of a dog, or the word dog, or a specific memory of a time with a dog, or the smell of a dog, or various things like that. I won't, the best I can describe is its just this generic concept of "dog" - and "dog" is related to other concepts. Nothing visual, nothing with words, nothing like that. That's why I started describing it as concept-thinking.

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 10:00 am

What's your concept of a dog, Tuttle?

This sounds like ACC (Agenesis of the corpus callosum) to me.

Kahnza
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Oct 2012, 5:24 pm

I too think largely in concepts. With a bit of imagery mixed in. But I have to force it. It is extremely frustrating not being able to translate whats going on in my head into language so that I can speak/type it so that others can understand. And often the words that come out don't adequately or accurately describe what I want to convey. At least with text its a bit easier. I can stop and take the time to think through what I've typed and try and determine if it makes sense.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 7:16 pm

I don't think I have too much trouble thinking in "concepts", whatever that means.

I find it easier to translate thoughts into written language than spoken language, for what's it worth. It's like I need to go through another layer of translation to speak, and listen.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 12:14 pm

AnotherKind wrote:
What's your concept of a dog, Tuttle?

It's just the idea of a dog. There's no pictures or words or smells or memories or anything attached, just the idea of a dog. I haven't been able to come up with any better way to describe it than that.

Quote:
This sounds like ACC (Agenesis of the corpus callosum) to me.

Why?

dunya
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Oct 2012, 1:20 pm

I also understand in "concepts". I find putting stuff I know into words verbally or on paper difficult. I spend a lot of time practicing putting my conceptual thoughts into words so I can communicate them coherently. It's not easy.
I get what you mean about having a concept of a dog.

I find it difficult to learn stuff by rote. I have to know why in order to create a concept to remember.

When I read fiction I generally have to make an effort to form particular visual images. For example if I want to remember how a character's physique is described by the writer. I generally don't have a visual for the faces of the characters unless the writer is describing them in detail as I read.
Mostly I have a sense of what is happening along with a vague stream of visual images. For example if a writer describes a small detail I will form a mental image of that detail, but not fill it out to create a whole scene of which that detail is a part.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 1:56 pm

This whole thinking in concepts think just doesn't make sense to me. I almost get it, but then I then I think more about it, and then I get confused. It seems to me that to many people the sensory processing is the person. I think. I'm confused. The more I think about this the more confused I get, metacognetion is confusing.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Kahnza
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Oct 2012, 5:48 pm

dunya wrote:
I also understand in "concepts". I find putting stuff I know into words verbally or on paper difficult. I spend a lot of time practicing putting my conceptual thoughts into words so I can communicate them coherently. It's not easy.
I get what you mean about having a concept of a dog.

I find it difficult to learn stuff by rote. I have to know why in order to create a concept to remember.

When I read fiction I generally have to make an effort to form particular visual images. For example if I want to remember how a character's physique is described by the writer. I generally don't have a visual for the faces of the characters unless the writer is describing them in detail as I read.
Mostly I have a sense of what is happening along with a vague stream of visual images. For example if a writer describes a small detail I will form a mental image of that detail, but not fill it out to create a whole scene of which that detail is a part.

I TOTALLY get what you are describing. When I first came across this thread with the phrase "Thinking in concepts", I began thinking about my thinking and other ways of thinking and spent hours searching for more information. I read mostly about visual and analytical thinking, and determined that my analytical thinking is very poor. But when it comes to thinking in concepts, there is almost no information out there. This thread is most of whats available on the topic.

If anyone has any more info on conceptual thinking, especially on how to cope or take advantage of it, it would be greatly appreciated.