Smart Little Aspie one day for nobel prize?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Issit
Raven
Raven

22 Sep 2012, 3:22 pm

www.theblaze.com/stories/a-beautiful-mi ... -big-bang/

Quote:
At 12-years-old, Jacob Barnett is a genius. He’s already in college, his IQ is higher than Einstein’s, and for fun he‘s working on an expanded version of that man’s theory of relativity. So far, the signs are good. Professors are astounded. So what else does a boy genius with vast brilliance do in his free time? Disprove the big bang, of course.

Quote:
Young Jacob‘s journey to genius hasn’t been a fairy tale. He didn’t speak until he was two, and he’s been diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome, a mild form of autism. His mother, Kristine, told the Star he has trouble sleeping because he constantly sees numbers in his head.

“A lot keeps me awake,” Jake said. “I scare people.”

But he also has so much promise, and that excites many more.

One of the comments

Quote:
He didn’t talk until he was two and has a form of autism. Are there other geniuses out there who haven’t broken through the barriers of autism as this boy did? What could they contribute to mankind if only they could communicate and function like everyone else? I will never look at an autistic child in the same way again.

Last edited by Issit on 22 Sep 2012, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buttoneater
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Sep 2012, 3:31 pm

Better than picking a gigantic, stupid aspie to get the prize I guess. Unless the gigantic, stupid aspie was just a better scientist.

Issit
Raven
Raven

22 Sep 2012, 3:40 pm

Buttoneater wrote:
Better than picking a gigantic, stupid aspie to get the prize I guess. Unless the gigantic, stupid aspie was just a better scientist.

OK..took me some time to get you were joking :P

Well, yes, gigantic stupid aspie would be worse, in a way,
on the other hand though imagine how he could jump out of the podium and beat everyone up.
Or something like that.

THAT would make people think twice to bull aspies. 8)

Last edited by Issit on 22 Sep 2012, 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buttoneater
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Sep 2012, 3:42 pm

You don't find the idea of a mentally feeble giant winning the nobel prize hilarious? "Well Jacob, you did some good geniusing this year, but we're gonna have to go with the other guy right now. I mean look at him! He's enormous! It wouldn't be fair to deny such a large man the prize."

Buttoneater
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Sep 2012, 3:42 pm

Issit wrote:
Buttoneater wrote:

OK..took me some time to get you were joking :P

No problem.

Issit
Raven
Raven

22 Sep 2012, 3:45 pm

Buttoneater wrote:
You don't find the idea of a mentally feeble giant winning the nobel prize hilarious? "Well Jacob, you did some good geniusing this year, but we're gonna have to go with the other guy right now. I mean look at him! He's enormous! It wouldn't be fair to deny such a large man the prize."

Ahahahaha :D

You just made my, what is it.. night.
: )

Buttoneater
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Sep 2012, 3:47 pm

Issit wrote:
Buttoneater wrote:

Ahahahaha :D

You just made my, what is it.. night.

I think I got 4H and the nobel prize committee switched in my head somehow.

rixxar12
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Sep 2012, 4:02 pm

Nice, his interest is about astrophysics, but i think all the people with asperger are geniuses, but in the field they are interest, maybe biology or art,etc.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 5:21 pm

Smart little Aspie is too focused on astrophysics to care for other disciplines such as planetary science. Maybe, like Sheldon, he considers such practical disciplines beneath him. Dumbass.

Quote:
Otherwise, the carbon would have to be coming out of the stars and hence the Earth, made mostly of carbon, we wouldn’t be here.

I can't quite follow his logic, because it's not written down in a logical order. He seems to be suggesting that carbon had to be created at the big bang, due to their being insufficient time for enough carbon to have accumulated since, I think... maybe he could actually explain it himself properly...

I give him three years to a nervous breakdown.

Issit
Raven
Raven

23 Sep 2012, 2:53 pm

Magneto wrote:
I give him three years to a nervous breakdown.

Nah.

But maybe burn out.

(hope not though, for him!)

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 4:21 pm

Well. Most prodigies seem to burn out. What makes the ones that don't different? I move that we locate a prodigy capable of answering this important question...

Hence why I am pleased to announce the creation of the Child Prodigy Research Centre, committed to discovering what makes them different from baseline children - and to discover whether we can make them for the benefit of humanity. :twisted:

Meh. He might get the Nobel prize for Physics one day. I prefer to set my sights on all of them.

Here's a task that can keep him occupied - rather than trying to expand relativity, find a way of circumventing it.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 4:49 pm

Magneto wrote:
Well. Most prodigies seem to burn out. What makes the ones that don't different? I move that we locate a prodigy capable of answering this important question...

It is a good question. My reflexive answer is that they are (not)* crushed by the impossible expectations. I sometimes think that this is how Feynman went as far as he did. His high but not stratospheric IQ score freed him from the expectations that a stratospheric score brings and so he could go his merry way.

I have high hopes for this kid. But that's the problem. Everybody who hears about him has high hopes for him. Right now he's too young to be crushed by that but I doubt he will be able to make it to adulthood without realizing just how many people are waiting and watching to see what amazing thing he'll do. What pressure!

Hopefully some un-burntout former prodigy (if there are any) will give him guidance on how to not burn out.

*and why are they not crushed? I don't know. I honestly haven't heard of a prodigy who wasn't damaged by these expectations. But they must be out there. At least I hope so.

onks
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Sep 2012, 5:42 pm

Issit wrote:
www.theblaze.com/stories/a-beautiful-mind-12-year-old-boy-genius-sets-out-to-disprove-big-bang/

Quote:
At 12-years-old, Jacob Barnett is a genius. He’s already in college, his IQ is higher than Einstein’s, and for fun he‘s working on an expanded version of that man’s theory of relativity. So far, the signs are good. Professors are astounded. So what else does a boy genius with vast brilliance do in his free time? Disprove the big bang, of course.

Quote:
Young Jacob‘s journey to genius hasn’t been a fairy tale. He didn’t speak until he was two, and he’s been diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome, a mild form of autism. His mother, Kristine, told the Star he has trouble sleeping because he constantly sees numbers in his head.

“A lot keeps me awake,” Jake said. “I scare people.”

But he also has so much promise, and that excites many more.

One of the comments

Quote:
He didn’t talk until he was two and has a form of autism. Are there other geniuses out there who haven’t broken through the barriers of autism as this boy did? What could they contribute to mankind if only they could communicate and function like everyone else? I will never look at an autistic child in the same way again.

That is really a positive example of what aspies can do

they can, if they want, disconnect from that what limits other normal persons

and use their creativity to make something new.

If you think about Einsteins special relativity theory. What a kid of weird thing it is:

You move at nearly light speed and see only once. Anybody else than an aspie would think how stupid it is to make a theory for that kind of situation.
Then he made the real thing out of it, the general relativity theory.

Just because he was convinced that he was right and despite the mathematical problem was enormous.
Now we can use the GPS because he did it. (This is the most used practical thing where you need general relativity theory I think)

Without his persistence, which is an aspie trait, we would not have this nice really respected theory...

Lets hope that this nice little aspie will do his way because I think we need something new in this world.
He's crazy enough to do it and do it right.

This has not so much to do with his IQ, the aspie trait is much much more important. :D

Just support aspies because it is worth it!
(They are all little inventors and analysers and not stupid ! !! !)

Issit
Raven
Raven

24 Sep 2012, 4:34 am

Amen to that.

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 5:44 am

I wonder how they looked at autistic people prior to this.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 12:26 am

There's an old white guy who is a Nobel Lauerate in Economics....who is aspie.

Also; Nobel Prizes are AMAZINGLY BS in their application. i.e. the literature prizes mainly being full of Swedish literature :lol:

EDIT: That and Kissinger and Obama getting peace prizes :oops: