Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

lilaclily
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Oct 2012, 11:10 pm

comatt1 wrote:
Has anyone found the absolute isolation of swimming calming as I did as an aspie.

Yes.

I find the movement and feel of the water very absorbing and relaxing.

I've been told I look like I'm "in the zone". And I am

I wear hear ear plugs, which dulls the noise, and swim with my eyes closed to block out visual data (but occassionally opening them so I don't hit the end of the pool!). Thus, I need to swim in a lane on my own to avoid collision, although, note I do manage to swim in practically in a straight line. Thus, I am totally relaxed when I am alone swimming in my pool lane.

I think soley on the specfic parts of my body feeling the water. I focus on this for the entire 1/2 - 1 hour session.

Thus, my mind is totally channelled and tunned into phsyical motion patterns, as my body moves through the water. Thus, as my swim speed/technique/timing changes my mind shifts into another pattern, and then continuously cycles through this new pattern. Does anyone else do this????

TirelessMessenger
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Oct 2012, 12:48 am

Swimming is one of my favorite things, but the pool has to be mostly empty for me to enjoy it.

I like swimming underwater the best. It's so quiet and peaceful and the water pressure relieves my pressure cravings. Plus I'm nearsighted so I see clearly underwater with goggles.

There might actually be a connection between swimming and autism. Children with autism who are lost in the wilderness instinctively go to water, and rescuers know this so they look there first.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 10:49 pm

TirelessMessenger wrote:
Swimming is one of my favorite things, but the pool has to be mostly empty for me to enjoy it.

I like swimming underwater the best. It's so quiet and peaceful and the water pressure relieves my pressure cravings. Plus I'm nearsighted so I see clearly underwater with goggles.

There might actually be a connection between swimming and autism. Children with autism who are lost in the wilderness instinctively go to water, and rescuers know this so they look there first.

Wow, that's interesting! Thanks for sharing!!

to his Interest."

squonk
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 6:30 pm

I like swimming but it is best in the sea.
Public baths are often too crowded and are one of the worst places to catch germs.

beeker
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Mar 2017, 4:10 am

I used to swim a lot as a teenager, but hadn't for 20+ years until recently.

I started again to try to lose some weight about a year ago and I love it. In the beginning I struggled to finish a length of the pool but with practice I now swim 1km 4 times a week.

I feel great afterwards and I hate missing a swim - so far away from the lazy me of last year.