Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Deutha
Toucan
Toucan

09 Dec 2006, 12:56 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRq3bTQB7nw

rubbish? or something in it?

seems the guy 'ben libet' who does the brain/finger experiment does exist..

he has released a book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neurophysiology ... 0817635386

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2006, 1:11 am

I think that it would be very possible, in the near future.

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2006, 1:53 am

The stuff about the brain would explain a lot of things I've experienced too often and too extreme to be dismissed as coincidence.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

dimensionaltraveler
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Dec 2006, 3:33 am

Traveling between dimensional parallel worlds would be better than time travel. In time travel, there are too many paradoxes and opportunities to accidentally change time(the butterfly effect). For example, preventing a major historical event.Those paradoxes can have a horrible effect for people living in our timeline(though you may notice the changes) and can damage the space-time fabric. When you travel to a parallel Earth there is no chance to damage the space-time(unless you land in one where the laws of physics are slightly different). You cannot travel into the "future" because it has not really happened yet. Travelling to parallel worlds or dimensions (crossing the Einstein-Rosen-Poldolsky bridge)would be my favorite and very interesting. Interesting in the sense of seeing where history took an alternate course( see Hugh Everett theory on parallel dimensions). But again, you must survive the intense gravitational eddies in the wormhole, except in "Kerr" wormholes or ending up in a dimension where its pure antimatter. The down side of traveling to other dimensions is that you do not know where you ending up. It is more like a roulette wheel and you do know where the ball will landing, unless you have the technology to choose your parallel Earth. Time travel is fixed because you are heading in one direction, into the past.

dimensionaltraveler
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Dec 2006, 4:19 am

For those who want to learn more about parallel worlds this is a very good site:

http://www.hedweb.com/manworld.htm

Deutha
Toucan
Toucan

12 Dec 2006, 9:26 am

cool danke for that

(btw pretty much agree with what u said in ur previous post)

i can't make my head think its possible to travel forward in time as yeah the universe would seem to be ever increasing in complexity up to now...like in a building process...so doesnt make sense to jump ahead to what hasnt been built yet... unless we have time all wrong conceptually...

parallel dimensions definately tho!.....to think we perceive all that is perceivable with our current senses...would be rather crazy

dimensionaltraveler
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Dec 2006, 6:44 pm

Deutha wrote:
parallel dimensions definately tho!.....to think we perceive all that is perceivable with our current senses...would be rather crazy

I agree. I think that the technology to travel to other dimensions would be available though in 200 years. But the way science progresses, I could be wrong. Earlier this century, people said that the sound barrier could not be broken. But travelling to other dimensions could be a one way ticket because you need your "home coordinates" to return.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

12 Dec 2006, 7:24 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:

Somebody planning a trip to the 1960's baby? :D

dimensionaltraveler
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Dec 2006, 10:03 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Somebody planning a trip to the 1960's baby? :D

Time Travel is not advisable because you can cause all sorts of paradoxes that can cause alternate timelines or even rip the space-time fabric of our universe. I would like time travel if there were an agency that can "police" the time line. Issac Asimov proposed a "time police" to prevent any alteration of the timeline.

(u)TIME PARADOXES(/u)

Grandfather Paradox- You alter the past in a way that makes the present impossible. Example: Going back to the time of the dinosaurs and accidentally step on a small furry mammal that is the ancestor of humanity. By destroying your ancestor, you cannot logically exist.
Information Paradox-Information that comes from the future. Giving information to yourself in the past.
Bilker's Paradox-A person knows the future and does something that make the future impossible Example, you make a time machine to take you to the future, and see you are destined to marry a woman named Jane. Then, you decide to marry a woman named Helen istead, therefore making your future impossible.
The Sexual Paradox- In this paradox, you father yourself, which is biologically impossiblility. Proposed by British philosopher Johnathan Harrison.

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2006, 11:22 am

I don't believe in time travel, because I don't think that time can change for only one person.

bheid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Dec 2006, 8:55 am

so you don't want to go back in time in our dimension, because it'd screw things up, but you're quite willing to travel to another, and then go back in time?

wouldn't that screw the people that live in the other dimension? :?

dimensionaltraveler
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Dec 2006, 12:59 am

bheid wrote:
so you don't want to go back in time in our dimension, because it'd screw things up, but you're quite willing to travel to another, and then go back in time?

wouldn't that screw the people that live in the other dimension? :?

A person can cause a lot more trouble to space-time in our universe traveling back in time due to the time paradoxes. I thing when you travel to another parallel world you will be less likely to cause damage. First, you do not know what world you will be landing on. Suppose you land in on a world where the Cuban Missile Crisis ended in its logical conclusion, a world wide nuclear holocaust where most of the United States is under nuclear rubble. There is little you can change their timeline unless giving its survivors lessons in protection from radiation. Or you land in a world in which ChristopherColumbus never discovered the New World. There woud not be there much you can do it that world. I would think that parallel dimensions would be strictly observational in nature and doing your best from getting into trouble. There are "rules" for time travel there should be "rules" in travelving between parallel worlds and dimensions.The point of dimensional travel to parallel worlds is to see where history took a different route and observing and not intefering.

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2006, 4:05 pm

Time travel is one of those things that has had my mind going at warp speed at night (freakin' paradoxes). For it to work the universe maybe (and I AM NOT AM NOT AM NOT!! ! an expert on this at all) like faster then light travel would have to work if some different way then we thought Perhaps the rules would function differently or something.

I don't know. Science isn't my "area."

Xenon
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2006, 8:59 pm

Time travel would be impossible unless we lived in a deterministic universe... and if we do live in a deterministic universe, then time travel could change nothing.

But that doesn't stop me from enjoying time-travel stories.

rincemeister
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Dec 2006, 10:42 am

Time travel is completely possible, to the future that is.

I remember reading about time dilation a few years ago.

All we need to do is travel at near the speed of light.

dimensionaltraveler
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Dec 2006, 7:07 pm

rincemeister wrote:
Time travel is completely possible, to the future that is.

I remember reading about time dilation a few years ago.

All we need to do is travel at near the speed of light.

In order to make time trave a sucess you need to be traveling faster than the speed of light. You can accomplish this by forming a dimensional wormhole leading to the "past" because traveling at the speed of light needs a massive amount of energy and the mass increases as you get closer the speed of light so you need a wormhole as a "shortcut. You are right that time travel is occuring everywhere, but on a microscopic, but we do not notice it. The reason why we cannot go into the future is because of the uncertanty principle which says we cannot accurately measure accurately both the position and velocities of particles at the same time. In the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics was often used interchangeably with and as a synonym for Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle by detractors who believed in fate and determinism and saw the common features of the Bohr-Heisenberg theories as a threat. Within the widely but not universally accepted Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics (i.e. it was not accepted by Einstein or other physicists such as Alfred Lande), the uncertainty principle is taken to mean that on an elementary level, the physical universe does not exist in a deterministic form — but rather as a collection of probabilities, or potentials. For example, the pattern (probability distribution) produced by millions of photons passing through a diffraction slit can be calculated using quantum mechanics, but the exact path of each photon cannot be predicted by any known method. The Copenhagen interpretation holds that it cannot be predicted by any method, not even with theoretically infinitely precise measurements.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copenhagen_interpretation