What do you find hard to accept that Aspies do?

Page 4 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

LordExiron
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Sep 2012, 6:11 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
I also don't get why a supposed Aspie would care so much about fashion, personal appearance, looking sexy, or what other people do in their spare time. ASDs are supposed to be a social/communication deficit and the aforementioned suggests a highly "social" way of viewing the world.

I smell bullplop, professionally DXed or not.

The latter two for sure suggest a social outlook, but as for the first two, maybe not. I could see a case where fashion takes the form of a special interest. There's lots written about it, there's a pretty much endless supply of crap to buy - all the traits of a quality special interest.

Underscore
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 6:53 pm

XFilesGeek

Can you not understand social science/the logical sides of what is social if they were listed somewhere? Do you not have that intellectual ability?

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 8:05 pm

LordExiron wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
I also don't get why a supposed Aspie would care so much about fashion, personal appearance, looking sexy, or what other people do in their spare time. ASDs are supposed to be a social/communication deficit and the aforementioned suggests a highly "social" way of viewing the world.

I smell bullplop, professionally DXed or not.

The latter two for sure suggest a social outlook, but as for the first two, maybe not. I could see a case where fashion takes the form of a special interest. There's lots written about it, there's a pretty much endless supply of crap to buy - all the traits of a quality special interest.

It's not so much "fashion (which can be pursued as a hobby, independent of other's opinions), but as attitude towards "fashion," namely that one uses "personal appearance" as a means to "dominant" others.

I'm a poser hipster myself. :D

Quote:
Can you not understand social science/the logical sides of what is social if they were listed somewhere? Do you not have that intellectual ability?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your question.

Would you mind rephrasing?

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Underscore
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2012, 10:34 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
Quote:

Yes.

You are talking about "social templates", a "social" way of viewing the world, and so on, and state that it is hard to imagine an Aspie being good, skilled, able or wanting to deal/handle with these factors.

So I'm asking, do you understand social science? Like sociology. The science of it all (the science of the social), like sociology in may ways are.
And, do you understand the parts of the "social", like behaviour and mechanisms (fashion for example), that are logical? There are after all a reason for everything you talk about actually being a factor in many people. It is often very logical, hence there is a science covering these topics.
Lastly, do you understand everything you talk about in your posts, and more, about the social world, if all of these factors where put on a list and posted somewhere. Could you then learn it? When it was black on white, written on paper.

To summarize: Are you not able to think about these topics, what I call an intellectual ability, via an interest in them, studying them or whatever. Which means that someone with Asperger's actually could relate to "social templates" and have a "social" view of viewing the world, because they have an intellectual ability and can understand them by using it.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2012, 3:49 pm

Underscore wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
Quote:

Yes.

You are talking about "social templates", a "social" way of viewing the world, and so on, and state that it is hard to imagine an Aspie being good, skilled, able or wanting to deal/handle with these factors.

So I'm asking, do you understand social science? Like sociology. The science of it all (the science of the social), like sociology in may ways are.
And, do you understand the parts of the "social", like behaviour and mechanisms (fashion for example), that are logical? There are after all a reason for everything you talk about actually being a factor in many people. It is often very logical, hence there is a science covering these topics.
Lastly, do you understand everything you talk about in your posts, and more, about the social world, if all of these factors where put on a list and posted somewhere. Could you then learn it? When it was black on white, written on paper.

To summarize: Are you not able to think about these topics, what I call an intellectual ability, via an interest in them, studying them or whatever. Which means that someone with Asperger's actually could relate to "social templates" and have a "social" view of viewing the world, because they have an intellectual ability and can understand them by using it.

Erm...still not quite my point.

To use a specific example using fashion, if you decide that your particular taste in clothing is "superior" and it makes you "smarter" than other people who don't share your garment preferences, and you get a blast of "feel good" neurotransmitters in your brain by imagining that you're "better" than another human on the basis of personal appearance, then congratulations on being an NT.

That's a "social template" as viewed through the lens of primatology.

You can learn ABOUT such things, but learning about them on an intellectual level and actually having it installed in your head since birth are quite different. Living your life according to an unconscious, but instinctual, "social template" is not equivalent to having it be explained to you and merely being aware of it.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

Underscore
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2012, 4:06 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:

To use a specific example using fashion, if you decide that your particular taste in clothing is "superior" and it makes you "smarter" than other people who don't share your garment preferences, and you get a blast of "feel good" neurotransmitters in your brain by imagining that you're "better" than another human on the basis of personal appearance, then congratulations on being an NT.

You can learn ABOUT such things, but learning about them on an intellectual level and actually having it installed in your head since birth are quite different. Living your life according to an unconscious, but instinctual, "social template" is not equivalent to having it be explained to you and merely being aware of it.

That is exactly right :) Glad you elaborated it

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2012, 5:35 pm

Underscore wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

That is exactly right :) Glad you elaborated it

You're welcome.

And I'm not actually trying to "debate" or anything. I'm just explaining my viewpoint, so, hopefully I haven't offended anyone.

Thank you for the chat. 8)