What do you find hard to accept that Aspies do?

Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Tiranasta
Toucan
Toucan

25 Sep 2012, 11:19 pm

Personally, I see no reason not to have friends. Sometimes I'm bored and they can help alleviate that. Besides, a friend can't stab me in the back if I give them no opportunities to do so.

Buttoneater
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Sep 2012, 11:20 pm

Yeah no friend has ever betrayed me. They don't really do that, that's why they're friends.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 4:57 am

I find it hard to accept that most aspies have never loved a goose, and probably never will, but I did and a white rabbit too, all in one year.

Wow

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 6:13 am

Mdyar wrote:
Dirtdigger wrote:
I find it incomprehensible that those with especially Aspergers Syndrome having human relationships and having a desire to be as sociable as possible and having all sorts of friends.

I don't want friends that will stab me in the back, act like they have some sort of phobia about me. I don't want human relationships that only bring hurt, mistrust, unwanted children, STS's, cheating and a host of other bad things. The thought of another human even touching me makes my skin crawl. I'm perfectly happy with my life and I wouldn't have it any other way. But, I would like to know why so many Aspies are in human relationships and socialization?

I'd like to know if there is true "bonding" with these friendships. If these are typical buddy relationships like a "welding of the hip" in near perpetual togetherness, and is the romantic side as "two love birds" eternally enjoined? Experiencing True Theory of Mind is living through the eyes of another human being. I may have just answered my question.

Coming from a person that says "Not sure if I have it or not".

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 6:23 am

Tiranasta wrote:
Personally, I see no reason not to have friends. Sometimes I'm bored and they can help alleviate that. Besides, a friend can't stab me in the back if I give them no opportunities to do so.

I don't think you have to give some so-called friends the opportunity. If they are one of those types they will stab you in the back anyhow. I do socialize a little, but I don't particularly like to.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 6:24 am

Dirtdigger wrote:
Mdyar wrote:
Dirtdigger wrote:
I find it incomprehensible that those with especially Aspergers Syndrome having human relationships and having a desire to be as sociable as possible and having all sorts of friends.

I don't want friends that will stab me in the back, act like they have some sort of phobia about me. I don't want human relationships that only bring hurt, mistrust, unwanted children, STS's, cheating and a host of other bad things. The thought of another human even touching me makes my skin crawl. I'm perfectly happy with my life and I wouldn't have it any other way. But, I would like to know why so many Aspies are in human relationships and socialization?

I'd like to know if there is true "bonding" with these friendships. If these are typical buddy relationships like a "welding of the hip" in near perpetual togetherness, and is the romantic side as "two love birds" eternally enjoined? Experiencing True Theory of Mind is living through the eyes of another human being. I may have just answered my question.

Coming from a person that says "Not sure if I have it or not".

I've never understood how some people can take things literally. :P

"Not Sure" is diagnostic or "do I meet the significantly impaired thingy."

My guess is I'm invisible and fly under the radar these days.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 9:21 am

Jaden wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
When people who don't actually fit the criteria claim to be Aspies.

introversion =/= "Aspergers"

People who aren't officially diagnosed do that, yes. But not all people with aspergers necessarily want to be social, and not all want to be introverted either. That's just a catch-all generalization that people have come to think is a symptom of the condition (and for some it can be), but aspergers is different for everyone, that's why there's so many tests that one must take in order to be diagnosed. You can literally test 20 people and never get two who have the same symptoms.

And who are you to determine whether or not someone who's self diagnosed fits the criteria? Do I have to pull the 'some people cannot afford an official diagnoses or don't have the resources' card again? I mean the reason I don't have an official diagnoses would be that, but I am still working on it as well as a diagnoses of other crap I struggle with. I am sure I'll find out soon what's 'wrong' with me and its possible maybe there is no AS but then something else would have to account for the weird AS traits and symptoms I've had since I was a child.

Though I agree with the rest that everyone with AS is different, they aren't all exactly the same some want to be more social, some don't maybe some are fine with somewhere in the middle.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 1:46 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
Jaden wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

People who aren't officially diagnosed do that, yes. But not all people with aspergers necessarily want to be social, and not all want to be introverted either. That's just a catch-all generalization that people have come to think is a symptom of the condition (and for some it can be), but aspergers is different for everyone, that's why there's so many tests that one must take in order to be diagnosed. You can literally test 20 people and never get two who have the same symptoms.

I know.

I didn't word that correctly. I was speaking in general, not necessarily at the OP.

Whoops. That's what I get when I try to multitask.

Please excuse stupidness.

lol no I somewhat agree, introversion doesn't immediately mean aspergers, although it could be a symptom.
i didn't see what you said as "stupidness" lol, I think what you said is very valid because some do tend to make that leap/connection even when it's not accurate for them (like I said, it's different for everyone). ;)

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 2:09 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Jaden wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

And who are you to determine whether or not someone who's self diagnosed fits the criteria? Do I have to pull the 'some people cannot afford an official diagnoses or don't have the resources' card again? I mean the reason I don't have an official diagnoses would be that, but I am still working on it as well as a diagnoses of other crap I struggle with. I am sure I'll find out soon what's 'wrong' with me and its possible maybe there is no AS but then something else would have to account for the weird AS traits and symptoms I've had since I was a child.

Though I agree with the rest that everyone with AS is different, they aren't all exactly the same some want to be more social, some don't maybe some are fine with somewhere in the middle.

I never said anything about "fitting criteria", that was someone else, no need for hostilities. I was saying that those who haven't been able to see a profesional about their possible condition, tend to see most things as an automatic symptom when it could just as easily be something else. In the case of introversion, that could be a symptom of agoraphobia, not necessarily just AS. I myself, also have AS and had struggled with everything that goes with it most of my life before it was even known about, and the only reason I have an official diagnosis is because I was seeing a psychologist at the time and he happened to notice it (this was back when I was like 16, and AS was very new to the medical field at that time).

I remember what it was like before official diagnosis, it was horrible, so I definitely know what that's like. Especially when it wasn't clear as to why I was treated differently by other people.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 9:16 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:

This :thumright:

I have these thoughts every time I "tune in": to autism tv .

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 9:54 pm

Hey, I don't mind having a few extreme introverts or people with social anxiety disorder around here. They have a lot of the same problems as autistics do; we have enough in common to talk about, for sure. If they don't have autism, and they do have some other disorder, I hope they get help, but if they're close enough to autistic to wonder whether they have it, their experiences are going to be pretty close to ours, and maybe some of the same solutions would apply to their problems.

It does puzzle me sometimes that people with ASDs seem to care so much about being normal. For me, that was something I understood was both impossible and undesirable very early on. I'm just not connected enough to society to value the same things everyone else seems to value. It seems weird to me that somebody could simultaneously be integrated into their culture deeply enough to adopt those values, while at the same time having enough of a social disconnect to be diagnosed with autism.

I suppose it's people with the smallest social disconnect who are most vulnerable to that kind of thing--the "I'm not normal enough" self-criticism. I think it must be pretty tough to be close enough to want to be normal, but far enough not to be. It's easier if you know you're not normal and can never be, because then you can start early on figuring out who you are and who you want to be.

But I still think that people with that problem can learn to accept themselves, and that society in general can be taught to accept them. It should get easier to be on the edge of normal as disability rights makes more headway.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 10:02 pm

It baffles me that many Aspies wish to be normal and and fit into mainstream society at all costs, no matter what. I'd rather be myself and I'm not afraid to do so. I like the things I enjoy and I want the rest of the people that I know to know that, and I want them to celebrate my differences with me.

Damn....I've gone from 70s Punk to 60s Punk. The Kinks were the original punks. :?

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 11:06 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
It baffles me that many Aspies wish to be normal and and fit into mainstream society at all costs, no matter what. I'd rather be myself and I'm not afraid to do so. I like the things I enjoy and I want the rest of the people that I know to know that, and I want them to celebrate my differences with me.

Damn....I've gone from 70s Punk to 60s Punk. The Kinks were the original punks. :?

Hmmm....... I'm puzzled how an "act" can be carried on and on and on, all going against the natural grain. I suppose it's the sink or swim consequence. One thing is for certain: sooner or later Mr. or Mrs. NT will see through that given enough time. I suppose in a way it's a carefully constructed dance to change partners to avoid detection.

I've seen this in dating forum a bit. It looks myopic in a way, because the real you will have to come out of the closet. (Or is it back in the closet?) Maybe this is just the hook to start the ball rolling?

I myself find it difficult to manage my attention to hold it in this people direction. Typical folks do this naturally and usually 24/7. Let's face it, the thoughts are not outward but inward and are not people oriented in the usual sense. I wonder how this "interest " can be maintained on that level?

Tiranasta
Toucan
Toucan

26 Sep 2012, 11:59 pm

Dirtdigger wrote:
Tiranasta wrote:

I don't think you have to give some so-called friends the opportunity. If they are one of those types they will stab you in the back anyhow. I do socialize a little, but I don't particularly like to.

My point is that if you've entered a situation in which they have any effective means to act against you, you've done something wrong.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 12:38 am

Tiranasta wrote:
Dirtdigger wrote:
Tiranasta wrote:

My point is that if you've entered a situation in which they have any effective means to act against you, you've done something wrong.

It's been my experience that if someone wants to do harm in some way, they're going to use anything, even you expressing you're beliefs (personal experience), as cannon feed. One need not give them the opportunity, if they're looking for one, they'll find it. People like that will use the dumbest crap, and it don't matter if you set it up or not, they'll use something as stupid as the way you (not you personally, just anyone) walk if they have nothing else. Which to me, is the most immature thing anyone could ever do.

Tiranasta
Toucan
Toucan

27 Sep 2012, 1:40 am

Jaden wrote:
Tiranasta wrote:
Dirtdigger wrote:
Tiranasta wrote:

It's been my experience that if someone wants to do harm in some way, they're going to use anything, even you expressing you're beliefs (personal experience), as cannon feed. One need not give them the opportunity, if they're looking for one, they'll find it. People like that will use the dumbest crap, and it don't matter if you set it up or not, they'll use something as stupid as the way you (not you personally, just anyone) walk if they have nothing else. Which to me, is the most immature thing anyone could ever do.

I really don't see how any harm could be done with relation to how a person walks, unless the victim were absurdly oversensitive. Well, that or if the victimizer was literally physically tripping the victim over or something like that.