Why Does Christian Religion Make Me SO ANGRY?

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

TonyCropCircle
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Nov 2014, 2:25 pm

Our school is idiotic enough to force EVERYONE to take the full course religious education GCSE; for those of you who don't know, that's a big, horrible, anxiety and suicidal thoughts inducing two year exam - and the government only requires the half course but APPARENTLY full course looks good on the school's profile. School should at least put the needs of the students before its reputation, but I digress.
I'm just gonna be completely honest in the next paragraph or two, so if you don't like what I'm saying, you have been warned.
Here we go.
Every word is propaganda. It's a depressing waste of an hour every week when they try and tell us stupid stories that people actually BELIEVE, but what makes me so angry is knowing that they're wrong, knowing how many people have been hurt by religion (if you've studdied English history as long as I have you'll know what I mean) and knowing there is nothing I can do to save them. I feel so powerless and frustrated when I listen to the teacher blabbering on about god (whose name I will NEVER capitalize) and the stupid cosmological argument that contains no logic whatsoever. Then I'm supposed to argue my views on which little square card of lies I agree with most, and I don't agree with any at all. So there may be some sort of transcendental being out there, but Science has proven that it wouldn't be able to affect the physical world even if it existed.
I went to a Christian elementary school, and for a long time I was a huge believe - looking back, it seems incredible that it took me so long to see sense. I don't remember exactly what changed my mind, but I think it was a gradual process in which one little happening led to another, and eventually I just gave up on it. How could such a 'fantastic, wonderful being' allow so many children to die every day, to let so many others die IN ITS NAME??? Why would it allow such suffering to go on for so long?
I can't believe the millions of people who devote their lives to such bulls***.
It's overwhelmingly upsetting.
And to anyone trying to change my mind: I pity you. I've given up on religion, and it's time the rest of the world did the same.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

13 Nov 2014, 5:47 pm

If something makes you angry, than don't read it. I don't know much at all about the things that piss me off, and make no sence to me. Don't really care about it one way or the other either. What's the point? There is nothing there. It's meaningless garble. Put the hammer down, and get out if you feel that way! This is the 21st century. There are no chains, whips, and witch burnings for you.

Sorry, that's all I got.

Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

Bruce Lee.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 9:45 pm

Christianity is a lovely religion.
A lot of the people who call themselves "Christians", however, are arrogant, small-minded, hateful, judgemental pricks.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 9:54 pm

Christianity doesn't anger me. I actually find it quite humorous. Like this:

[url=<iframe src="http://www.ebaumsworld.com/media/embed/80798406" width="567" height="345" frameborder="0"></iframe>]Web Page Name[/url]

I peed myself the first time I saw that video. If you can make it, wait until about 1:53.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 1:43 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
When someone else online mention's anything positive about God or JC or almost anything to do with church and the Bible I get EXTREMELY angry and upset, especially when they say it's the only way in a completely vane attempt to make me feel bettersolve a problem and everyone needs God in their lives and if someone is suffering God will help them. If that were true than religious people who study the Bible, go to church and pray daily would miraculously be cured of cancer or get their job back or have a place to live. I'm so sick of the bigoted Bible-thumpers telling me why I am going to hell: Don't go to church, doesn't read the Bible, doesn't pray, likes Halloween (which interestingly enough is one of the very few holidays anyone with any religion can celebrate), read Harry Potter books, thinks angels and demons are as make-believe as fairies and mermaids, doesn't go to Midnight Mass at Christmas, is left-handed, owns cats for pets, and doesn't wear a bonnet (okay that last one was a slight exaggeration). I didn't used to always be like this. When I was a little girl I went to a religious school and believed in God and my mother told me we didn't need to go to church to pray or believe in him. But as we got closer to the end of the 20th Century and all the doomsday and Y2K predictions put me in a constant state of anxiety I began to hate God. Why would I want to believe in a God who hates me for being different and wants to kill me and my family for being HUGE sinners? But I must believe in God since you can't hate something that doesn't exist. I personally think my family members are good people but everything I think, say or do is wrong, obviously. That's how I felt and that's how I feel now. I must really be evil. :evil:

What you hate are simply all of the bad examples of the Christian religion. Examples don't always relate to substance. Is it an imposition that we exist? Is it every Christian's fault that your family acts that way, or that you've met hypocrites in church?

It's not time that the rest of the world gave up on religion. It's time that everyone stopped being as*holes about the issue of religion, non-religious people included. That's what drags us all down, that's what kills millions of people, and that's what ticks me off.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 2:17 am

Fnord wrote:
Because Christians tend to "make s*** up" and then find a Bible verse to support it; and the s*** they make up seems to apply only to others, and not to themselves.

What's even worse is that this s*** may eventually become denominational doctrine, which people of that denomination simply must believe, or they are not "real" Christians.

And then there are also hundreds of groups that aren't like that at all. Groups that you apparently never bothered to look up. I guess people are content to have their ideas about our religion, as opposed to giving the matter any serious investigation. We're not some rare species, just like there are many other people with their heads up their arses and their heads out of their arses the same applies with folks outside Christianity. To put it more succinctly: There is a significant portion of hypocritical, delusional, judgmental, sanctimonious, arrogant, elitist, preachy people who aren't religious too.

Wake up and smell the coffee people, you might actually enjoy the fact that there are plenty of Christians out there who aren't irrational pricks, who knows you may make some friends. It's a big world and there's a lot in it so stop boxing it in and being so utterly negative about it. Quit turning us into make believe figures inside your head, and give us at least a chance to explain our own selves before you supply another "self" in your head. Do you feel demeaned by members of our religion? Well welcome to the club because we feel demeaned by plenty of people too, including people in our own religion.

If you guys all hate hate hate Christianity maybe it's time you showed Christians what hypocrites they're being and show some love, compassion, and understanding. There is a plague in our religion and it has been grieving us from the start. I realize so many Christians deserve this because we've been smearing our names in the mud by doing absolutely everything you guys have said. We're guilty as charged, but there have been those of us from the start (yes, and I don't mind providing an account of it in my other thread) who have loved critical thinking, championed science, taught and practiced self sacrificial and universal love, and eschewed any judgment of other persons.

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 1:53 pm

Seems to me that everything that people hate about Christianity, or any other religion, or religion in general, can be modeled as enclosures of human experience erected by and/or in the name of religion(s). These include 'temporal enclosures' like dogmatic insistence that explanations for phenomena based upon the best information available at the time a given phenomenon was observed (or recorded observations were reconsidered) continue to be valid in perpetuity; 'socio-spatial enclosures' like who is and isn't saved, who can and cannot receive some religion-specific boon (e.g. only those who acknowledge and repent of their sin can receive God's grace); etc.

Science suffers from the same enclosure-erection but, being a dynamic system (or more accurately, possessing a greater "magnitude of dynamicism" [I just made that up, so if it's an existing term I'm probably using it imprecisely] than (some?) well-established religious beliefs while enjoying a significantly greater social-spatial enclosure than religious subsets (e.g. sects) possessed of a roughly-equivalent or possibly even greater magnitude of dynamicism (e.g. Christian process theology, Sufi Islam, Zen Buddhism)), is far more amenable to accommodating external feedback indicating the necessity or desirability of disbanding such enclosures - the concept of 'paradigm shift' being an example of the disbanding of temporal enclosures.

A burden discerned in the blood you taste

B19
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 11:27 pm

On a lighter note for a moment: a former Jesuit told me this wonderful line that he used to hear being said about certain priests when he was in the church:

"He'd sell his soul to the devil in order to be more holy".

Wonderful!