Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2012, 3:15 pm

BenPritchard wrote:
Come on, it wasn't even aired on 5! How stupid ARE YouTube nowadays?

You can get around that though by using a non-UK proxy.

Keyman wrote:
Any links to the programe? or video? keywords to search for?

Paste "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eLXh3fnn4Q" into http://theyoutubeproxy.com/ if living in the British Islands.

BenPritchard
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2012, 4:17 pm

Tequila wrote:
BenPritchard wrote:
Come on, it wasn't even aired on 5! How stupid ARE YouTube nowadays?

You can get around that though by using a non-UK proxy.

I've already seen it anyway.

Keyman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Oct 2012, 4:44 pm

Perhaps the school could get a wake up call if former bully victims turned up and gave present bullies a lesson? :evil:

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2012, 4:45 pm

Keyman wrote:
Perhaps the school could get a wake up call if former bully victims turned up and gave present bullies a lesson? :evil:

Adults beating up children, you mean?

Yes, that'll end well.

Keyman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Oct 2012, 5:00 pm

One could yell at them and chase them around corridors. Or simple guard the victims.

A strategy could be to show up from nowhere upon hidden call from victim such that they learn that they never know what happens if they try anything.

Perhaps not a pretty thing but when the school is content with not doing anything, something may need to be done externally.

aryaunderfoot
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Oct 2012, 12:31 pm

That kid is amazing. I would certainly have been his best friend after seeing all the dalek figures in his room!
Well, but commenting on the documentary I have to say, that I am quite sad with what BenPritchard wrote about the school. It certainly presents as a place with trained teachers. But most schools would invite someone on short notice for a perfect representation in national television. Let's hope it brings a more permanent improvement for the kids on the spectrum.

BenPritchard
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Oct 2012, 3:27 pm

I didn't say the teachers weren't trained in their jobs I'm just saying they didn't help with the problems I was facing with bullies well and didn't know crap about Autism, which is true. The members of staff in the "Autistic Unit" were the worst...particularly Enid Moore (the "Leader".) I was banned from going in a school bus because I opened the window because it was hot inside. What a load of crap?
Ironically this was on a journey to visit my old school which was heaven as opposed to Darland.

I know the school still has its problems with bullying/autism because people I knew back then moved to the school I'm in now complaining about how they were bullied and yet again the members of staff were never helpful.

Trust me this documentary was at least 40/50% publicity for the school. I'm happy for Cameron though that he got the publicity he truly deserves (despite the fact I didn't even know him.)

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 10:57 am

MacDragard wrote:
It seems as if the vast majority of "aspies" are from the UK, or are at least of English decent. Probably explains why they hate the loud and boisterous Irish so much.

Speaking as an Irish aspie I find this characterisation offensive and historically ignorant.

If you think the English aren't capable of being loud or boisterous, you've obviously never attended an England football match.

StarTrekStarWars
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jan 2013, 11:57 am

I know I shouldn't be saying this (as an Aspergers and as a empathetic human being) but the kid in this documentary is extremely annoying.

I've never thought I'd say that about anyone with Aspergers but even at the age of 13 he seems like a huge narcissist

I wonder if I'm the only one here who feels this way

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 12:20 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Speaking as an Irish aspie I find this characterisation offensive and historically ignorant.

Nice of you to take offence on behalf of someone else. Don't bother - I wasn't offended, but I'm sure you'll pull someone out of somewhere who will claim to be offended.

The upper-class middle-aged/older type of English gent I think is what the poster had in mind. You're right to say that a lot of English people are loud, boisterous and obnoxious, but hell, there are a lot of Scottish, Welsh, Northern Irish and Irish people like that too.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 1:49 am

Si_82 wrote:
For those of you in the UK, the BBC have recently broadcast a documentary titled The Growing Pains of A Teenage Genius which focuses on an (inevitably) gifted thirteen year old maths genius recently diagnosed with AS. It is available on iPlayer at the moment.

Curious, I wonder if this was mean't to be a UK version of an American 13 yr old autistic boy (Jake) who is a math genius
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7395214n

Interesting similarity, except of course Jake had a speech delay and was diagnosed with autism.

kill231
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jan 2013, 8:14 am

MacDragard wrote:
It seems as if the vast majority of "aspies" are from the UK, or are at least of English decent. Probably explains why they hate the loud and boisterous Irish so much.

No wonder I have so much headaches!
P.S I'm Irish.