Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 8:44 am

My husband gets frustrated with me too, but he tries to understand and doesn't give me a hard time. Have you tried breaking the housecleaning up? I clean a room for a bit, and then have a little downtime before beginning again. It's not the most efficient process, but it's much less overwhelming to focus on a bit at a time. Use the television as a reward.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 8:53 am

Oh, by the way:

How to Clean a Room

I did a blog post on how to clean a room a while ago and some people have found it helpful. One caution: This method does involve a big pile of junk in the center of the room, so if you don't finish the job, it will look messier than when you started. Try a small room with not much mess in it, if you're going to test this method.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 9:05 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
That's the reason that I'm staying out of any type of relationship. I've dealt with one man who didn't understand my autistic behaviour. I don't need to be in a relationship with a male dominater who doesn't understand autistic thoughts and behaviour. Down with male domination!

They do tend to want to engulf and devour, like giant amoebas. :lol: If anything ever happens to mine, that's it for me. I want to live my own life for a little while, not be a "supporting character" in someone else's.

But as to your problem, OP, does he make some kind of effort not to mess the house up? Can he put away his own laundry and pick up after himself? Just little things like that would probably really help you. My DH is a grown man. He's capable of putting away his own clothes and picking up after himself. He just doesn't often do it.

Have you tried putting some suggestions in writing? Maybe think about a division of labor that would have him take responsibility for some little things like putting his own clothes away and tidying up if he's made a mess in the kitchen or left clutter out on the counters.

I have trouble cleaning around other people's clutter. I'm afraid to throw away little bits of paper that look like trash to me, because I've gotten chewed out for throwing away an important phone number that was scribbled on the back of a receipt. If it's so important, write it in a more important-looking place, for crying out loud!

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 9:17 am

Mindsigh wrote:
They do tend to want to engulf and devour, like giant amoebas. :lol: If anything ever happens to mine, that's it for me. I want to live my own life for a little while, not be a "supporting character" in someone else's.

Not every man is like that and we don't know what her husband is like. She only expressed that he was frustrated about something that seems to me to be justified. Now if he indeed doesn't clean up after himself then that's a different story.

Rudywalsh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Sep 2012, 9:20 am

You hit the nail on the head there with your last statement, being told what to do.

Maybe it's the way you're being told what to do. A curse word can be funny and meaningless, expressed in another manner, anger for example, then it holds a different value altogether.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 9:24 am

No body should be telling anyone what to do I agree but that isn't the start of the problem.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 10:51 am

Rudywalsh wrote:
You hit the nail on the head there with your last statement, being told what to do.

Maybe it's the way you're being told what to do. A curse word can be funny and meaningless, expressed in another manner, anger for example, then it holds a different value altogether.

I totally agree with this. I know that I respond better to something said to me in a friendly, caring manner than something said to me in a demanding or accusatory fashion.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

Evy7
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Sep 2012, 12:47 pm

I like cleaning,with a little music on it actually turns out fun unless you are rushed. I clean about 3 times a day and I can't settle down unless it is clean.

3nails
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Sep 2012, 1:20 pm

I really like Callista's advice, it made me want to get up and go clean my room or something, but I'm at work... Maybe I should focus on work then ? lol

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 1:29 pm

Evy7 wrote:
I like cleaning,with a little music on it actually turns out fun unless you are rushed. I clean about 3 times a day and I can't settle down unless it is clean.

I like cleaning to music, too - and as a matter of fact, this thread inspired me to finally get my room more organized (bed straightened out, stuff off the floor, recyclables taken out). So thank you, OP! :D

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Sep 2012, 1:31 pm

I guess I'm just lazy, but the only thing that motivates me to do cleaning is to keep it from getting too bad! :oops:

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 1:36 pm

Callista wrote:
One caution: This method does involve a big pile of junk in the center of the room, so if you don't finish the job, it will look messier than when you started.

When I clean like that usually by the end of the day I'm tired and throw everything on the floor. I make the pile on my bed.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 1:44 pm

Callista wrote:
Oh, by the way:

How to Clean a Room

I did a blog post on how to clean a room a while ago and some people have found it helpful. One caution: This method does involve a big pile of junk in the center of the room, so if you don't finish the job, it will look messier than when you started. Try a small room with not much mess in it, if you're going to test this method.

I highly recommend this method and use it myself. It really works. It's best to do it when you have the house to yourself for at least a few hours. That pile of stuff in the middle of the room tends to alarm family members who fear that it will stay in the middle of the room. Or, as my husband said, "Ohmigod it looks worse than when you started!". But it is an especially good method for people who have trouble transitioning because it does require you to not transition until you are done.

Last edited by Janissy on 27 Sep 2012, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buttoneater
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Sep 2012, 1:45 pm

gretchyn wrote:
I guess I'm just lazy, but the only thing that motivates me to do cleaning is to keep it from getting too bad! :oops:

That only motivates me to hire a housekeeper.