Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Wanderingronin42
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Sep 2012, 8:03 pm

Hi, I am a sci-fi writer by hobby and I am interested in talking with others that share my passion?

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 8:11 pm

I'm working on a psychological sci-fi conspiracy horror/thriller. So yes, I'm into it, like you.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 8:18 pm

I'm a writer and I've written in these genres - general, horror, sci-fi, crime, historical fiction, fantasy and the occasional fairy tale.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 8:52 pm

My current efforts are limited to Stargate fanfic pieces.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Wanderingronin42

26 Sep 2012, 9:10 pm

What do all of think is the most important part of the genre? I have been attempting to figure this out on my own, but also taking advice for the masters such Clarke, Herbert, Heinlein, and Asimov.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 9:13 pm

Wanderingronin42 wrote:
What do all of think is the most important part of the genre?

Character-driven stories, wherein the "SciFi" backdrop is minimized.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2012, 9:59 pm

This has been my problem. I'm such a left-brained action-driven writer that it's costs me jobs sometimes. I recently had a horror novella rejected. The publisher said it read like a screenplay and the story needed to be fleshed out. He was right. I've written six screenplays and my approach is very linear. I don't like interruptions for exposition and the like. Very hard to get around sometimes.

Wanderingronin42

27 Sep 2012, 10:08 am

Interesting points. I have been greatly influenced by the Lord of the Rings, Dune, and A Wizard of Earthsea. Those were the first books I read in the genre, and what I liked about them was you could get lost in the world and the reader wants to know more about the world and characters in the story. Its something I try to reflect in my stories.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 1:30 pm

I just recently started to try writing Sci-fi as a hobby. The creating process is often fun, but the actual writing is very laborious and hard.

Wanderingronin42

27 Sep 2012, 8:55 pm

I had the same problem for years. There was a quote by author of Jurrasic Park, I kept in mind. Even you are happy write, when you are sad keep writing, when you are sick keep writing. I am just giving the parapharse of it. I hope it helps.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 12:29 am

Writing a space opera.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 5:53 am

Wanderingronin42 wrote:
I had the same problem for years. There was a quote by author of Jurrasic Park, I kept in mind. Even you are happy write, when you are sad keep writing, when you are sick keep writing. I am just giving the parapharse of it. I hope it helps.

I have not devoted a lot of time to it, it being only one of several interest areas. But I think I am going to have concentrate on it for a while to get up to a more satisfactory level. That unfortunately includes a refresher course in grammar :cry: :lol: .

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 5:56 am

Just a general question...

What do you mean by Sci-fi genres ? Can you list them ? (if its not too long a list)

I was thinking about it but have trouble defining what is science fiction exactly. It seems to blur with fanatsy, horror, and some other things at times.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 2:09 pm

Toy_Soldier wrote:
Just a general question...

What do you mean by Sci-fi genres ? Can you list them ? (if its not too long a list)

I was thinking about it but have trouble defining what is science fiction exactly. It seems to blur with fanatsy, horror, and some other things at times.

Of the top of my head:
Space Opera
Space Western
Space Romance
Hard Sci-fi
Military Sci-fi
Horror Sci-fi
Cyberpunk
Steampunk
Dieselpunk
Time travel
Alternate History
Apocalyptic

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 3:44 pm

Well that's a pretty big list! I really had no idea there were that many. Looking at it, I think what I aim for is actually a blend of 3-4 of those.

Would there be a comedic genre too ?

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 3:53 pm

Toy_Soldier wrote:
Well that's a pretty big list! I really had no idea there were that many. Looking at it, I think what I aim for is actually a blend of 3-4 of those.

Would there be a comedic genre too ?

Just Googled it, Comic sci-fi.
Though I think that would be an aspect of any sub-genre if the writer chooses to include it in whatever they are writing.