Resources for Women with Aspergers Syndrome

Page 5 of 7 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

kaedatiger
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Aug 2013, 3:51 am

RAADS-R score of 124, and some people think I'm a hypochondriac when I say I'm autistic. I guess this just further proves that I should seek assistance. Thanks for the resources!

Sumbuny
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Oct 2013, 7:08 pm

Kjas wrote:
Diagnostic Tools

These are designed for teenagers and adults.

I may have missed something, so please, someone help me. I printed out the pages from the links above and looked at the last page (how to score) and all I saw was to differentiate between questions with an asterisk and those without and add up the points in two different categories. Other than that, is there any math involved? How does one come up with a singular score?

Buny :?:

Edited: I got an error message that would not allow me to *quote* the links in the above message....I hope my problem is clear enough without said quotes :x I am discussing the RAADS-R

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 7:27 pm

First you add up all of the answers to the questions *without the asterisks* according to the sheet. These are known as symptom based questioned because they directly identify symptoms. They are the majority because we are looking for signs of ASC.

The questions *with asterisks* are pretty much the opposite, they are questions one would ask of NT's, so we must measure them in the opposite way (the points are there to indicate what is not normal). That is why there is a separate scoring for them, and the scoring system is opposite for them. You add up those according to the normative scoring scale (the second one).

You then add the 2 scores together.

Sumbuny
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Oct 2013, 7:34 pm

Kjas wrote:
First you add up all of the answers to the questions *without the asterisks* according to the sheet. These are known as symptom based questioned because they directly identify symptoms. They are the majority because we are looking for signs of ASC.

The questions *with asterisks* are pretty much the opposite, they are questions one would ask of NT's, so we must measure them in the opposite way (the points are there to indicate what is not normal). That is why there is a separate scoring for them, and the scoring system is opposite for them. You add up those according to the normative scoring scale (the second one).

You then add the 2 scores together.

Wow...and anything over the 90s is on the spectrum?....

....pondering the 157 on the symptomatic side..... :chin:

Buny

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 7:36 pm

Anything over 65.
Because the majority of the questionnaire is based on ASC symptoms, most NT's would score 22 or less.

Sumbuny
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Oct 2013, 7:45 pm

Kjas wrote:
Anything over 65.
Because the majority of the questionnaire is based on ASC symptoms, most NT's would score 22 or less.

Then I am definitely in the right place! :bounce:

Buny

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2013, 6:49 am

I'm a bit dubious about that eye expression test. I scored 25, so I'm average, but I was looking at the list of options and working out what the most likely answer would be through a process of elimination. They mostly looked like this to me.

I'm dubious because they look like eyes cut from photo shoots of celebrities and they could have been thinking anything. Surely the "right answers" are at the whim of the person who created the test and their interepretation of what they thought the person's mood was.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2013, 12:35 am

I'm sure it seems that way to many of us hurtloam - but when I gave that test to an NT woman who is the social butterfly of our group she scored 100% and completed the test quickly. That's why when given it in assessment the assessor pays a lot of attention to how much time you take to complete the test and if you are eliminating options intellectually or not.

When I asked how she knew what was what she explained that although she didn't think about it - how the muscles surrounding the eyes work is actually what indicates emotional states.

And in general I came accross this very comprehensive blog post: http://taniaannmarshall.wordpress.com/2 ... -syndrome/

queensamaria
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Dec 2013, 6:23 am

This information is fantastic.

Sare
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jan 2014, 2:01 am

I wanted to add that Tania is releasing a book on girls on the spectrum next month.
Her main site is http://www.aspiengirl.com/

Australia only: I attended Tony Attwood's Advanced Workshop (Autism Spectrum Conditions: Diagnosis and Intervention) and I found that informative. Tony also had a workshop that covers women. I might do further professional studies on Autism myself.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2014, 10:11 pm

The same Tania who wrote this piece?

The First Signs of Aspergers Syndrome in Young Girls:
http://taniaannmarshall.wordpress.com/2 ... pre-school

I found that one spot on and very helpful.

If it's the same person, I will take the time to read and review the book personally.

Most of the things on this list were resources recommended by Tony or Elizabeth, or by others who work at their old clinic. Their talks are very informative, if there are any that directly apply to you, then I would encourage people to go.

Sare
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jan 2014, 2:46 am

Yup, that's the same Tania (Marshall). She's also working on a book on women - due out later this year.

Another resource
Women and Girls: http://shazwellyn.hubpages.com/hub/Auti ... -and-Girls

greeneyeszengirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Jan 2014, 1:31 pm

This needs to be filled out and scored manually. To calculate your score -
Scoring
A RAADS-R score of 65 or greater is consistent with a clinical diagnosis of ASD.
Generally they would give one to you to fill out in relation to yourself, and one to a parent to fill out in relation to you, the two should have a 95% or higher match rate to be considered accurate and reliable.

Well if I understand and scored this correctly, I got a 219? Either that or a 79. Either way this is consistent with my Doctor's diagnosis that I'm on the spectrum.

"My weird life, just got a whole lot weirder, by becoming less weird."

Sare
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Feb 2014, 3:54 am

Books:

The Aspie Girl's Guide to Being Safe with Men: The Unwritten Safety Rules No-one is Telling You by Debi Brown
A Guide to your Aspie (Crazy Girl in an Aspie World) by Amanda J Harrington
Twirling Naked in the Streets and No One Noticed; Growing Up With Undiagnosed Autism by Jeannie Davide-Rivera

pinkgurl87
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Feb 2014, 9:03 pm

on the AQ test I've taken it a few times but results have been anywhere from 35-43

I took this other test not sure which one it is but it has a chart at the end with a graph and it said I was very likely aspie. For me interested in this because not diagnosed but this I may be aspie. Basically every test I have taken online related to aspergers results has said Autism is likely. I just downloaded the book Aspergirls on my phone and reading it good so far.

pinkgurl87
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Feb 2014, 9:12 pm

Also do you know any info on diagnosing now that they have switched the the DSM-V is it a different process? I know it has changed the criteria and no longer has aspergers there but a general autism category.