Resources for Women with Aspergers Syndrome

Page 6 of 7 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

pinkgurl87
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Feb 2014, 9:25 pm

I just took the eye expression test and got 21 , and most of them I was guessing and a lot I had no clue. Been trying to take other tests but won't let me load oh well.

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 6:08 am

I don't have a diagnosis but I got 121 on RAADS
I am asking now my sister to answer it for me and by far my score is even higher with her answers.

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 6:17 am

Sare wrote:
Books:

The Aspie Girl's Guide to Being Safe with Men: The Unwritten Safety Rules No-one is Telling You by Debi Brown
A Guide to your Aspie (Crazy Girl in an Aspie World) by Amanda J Harrington
Twirling Naked in the Streets and No One Noticed; Growing Up With Undiagnosed Autism by Jeannie Davide-Rivera

safety rules are very important. I was never sexually abused but I am very naive, when I was a child I went with this old man to his house and just last year I entered a cab with an unknown man. Aspergirls are easy target.

also thanks everyone for all those resources :) we have to make sure the female aspie traits are more and more recognized. Sexual abuse, depression, anorexia, low-self esteem, lack of identity, all of those are common in female aspies, specially when not receiving a diagnosis and consequently not receiving the appropriate help. We need to raise female autism awareness, it's an urgent matter

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 7:53 am

Sare wrote:
Yup, that's the same Tania (Marshall). She's also working on a book on women - due out later this year.

Another resource
Women and Girls: http://shazwellyn.hubpages.com/hub/Auti ... -and-Girls

the person that writes this blog seems to believe men more logical than women because they have bigger left hemisphere in the brain.
well, I don't buy this idea. I read in gensler's book (I love logic!) research's that proved men and women are equally good at logic. Also I read research's that came to the conclusion men and women are equally good at maths and one interesting study that says women performs worse - but only when reminded about the stereotypes. Unfortunately I don't know the sources by heart. We can notice that on those studies that prove otherwise the apparent gap is decreasing depending on time and women access to education, opportunities, intellectual stimuli, depending on how sexist the society is etc so if there is a gap it's most likely to be the result of nurture not nature.
also I think we know so little about the brain to come to an assumption like: bigger left hemisphere - more logical less creative

Sare
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Mar 2014, 9:35 pm

Youtube video featuring girls with Autism (Limpsfield Grange Girls with Autism - School for girls aged 11-16 with Autism, Asperger's, Speech, Language and Communication Difficulties and Emotional and Behavioural Difficulties and Vulnerabilities.). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZhZ0k1lyF8

schnozzles
Raven
Raven

20 Mar 2014, 10:32 am

The links to the GlennRowe/BaronCohen pages are broken :(

You are probably an Aspie.

mickey-elle
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jul 2014, 2:21 pm

Note to everyone, there's an online version of the RAADS-R here so you don't have to hand score: aspietestsDOTorg/raads/index.php (I'm not allowed to post links).

My RAADS-R score was 155, which seems so high to me. I thought I would get a score closer to the borderline, like my AQ score of 32.

My QGAS score was 29. I wish I had the guts to ask my parents to complete it so we could compare our scores.

However, my Eye Expression Test was 33 out of 36. I did use some strategy when completing it, but overall I didn't find it that difficult, especially with the multiple choice. Process of elimination makes the test a lot easier. Still, it's making me question if Asperger's is really the right diagnosis for me, or if I have to accept that I'm not exactly neurotypical, but not really autistic either.

I want the opinion of a professional or even someone who knows me well and knows about autism, but I'm way too scared to ask.

kat8615
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Sep 2014, 7:05 am

I just did the eye expression one and they all looked the same! How can you tell someone's emotions simply from their eyes? I tried to mimic all the eye movements, and now I have a headache. NT's must be super powered!

drjschwartz1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Oct 2014, 11:38 pm

I know this is a "women only" forum, so I will duck in and out quickly. I just wanted to say that I am a psychologist in Southern CA (Torrance), specializing in diagnosing females on the spectrum. If I can be of any help, please do not hesitate to contact me.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2014, 9:56 pm

WASP Women’s Asperger’s Syndrome Awareness Page – For those who understand

http://seventhvoice.wordpress.com/2013/ ... nderstand/

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

hiddenautistic
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Feb 2016, 9:16 am

WOW never seen such an exhaustive collection of info on autism. thanks!

B19
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2016, 5:59 am

There's so much information in this thread that I am bumping it for those members who have joined since the last post/are looking for these resource listings.

Also here are a few more AS books that may be of interest:

Not Even Wrong (ISBN 1-58234-367-5) is an autobiographical account by Paul Collins, a historian who views his autistic son as a happy, healthy child and resists the mainstream idea that autism is a crippling disease. Educating himself as well as the reader in the history and background of autism, Collins searches for (and finds) a school where his son's strengths as an autistic will be encouraged rather than suppressed. He points out that autistic people can and do communicate, even when they do not or cannot speak. He also emphasizes that many autists go unrecognized as such because they do not fit the stereotypical profile, particularly if they are successful in their careers; their autistic traits are often simply passed off as eccentricities. The book is as much intended for autistic people as it is for parents and others who need to know that autists are not vegetables.

Aquamarine Blue 5 (ISBN 0-8040-1054-4) is a collection of essays by autistic college students, edited by Dawn Prince-Hughes. The students come from a variety of backgrounds. Most were not diagnosed autistic as children and have worked out their own ways to live in a society that seems very alien to them. The essays describe the advantages and disadvantages of autism to a person trying to succeed at university, and how outsiders can misinterpret a simple autistic preference as a mental disease. One girl, for example, reported the not uncommon autistic experience of having to eat only two or three food items and ordering the same thing every day; anything else made her vomit. She was mistaken by friends and university staff as having an eating disorder. Dr. Prince-Hughes tells her own story in Songs of the Gorilla Nation (ISBN 1-4000-5058-8).

A science fiction novel, C.S. Friedman's This Alien Shore (ISBN 0-88677-799-2), envisions a future in which states of mind currently thought of as mental diseases, among them autism, are accepted as valid lifestyles, and the cultures on many earth colonies have adapted to allow these persons to fit in and contribute to the economy and to society. People paint their faces with distinctive designs letting others know what to expect. Masada, one of the key characters, is clearly meant to be autistic, of a form often described as Asperger syndrome.

Margaret Atwood's novel, Oryx and Crake, has a university labelled Asperger's U, where almost every student appears to have Asperger Syndrome or autism in varying degrees of severity and form. People in the university refer to non-autists as neurotypicals and seem to view them as something altogether different (and perhaps inferior) to themselves. The end of the human race is brought about almost entirely by the character Crake, who attended Asperger's U and was no exception to their rule. He believed that the human race was, by the end of the novel, doomed to extinction simply because of its overuse of resources and the corruption of the social elite.

ramondamyconi
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Dec 2016, 2:36 pm

B19 wrote:
There's so much information in this thread that I am bumping it for those members who have joined since the last post/are looking for these resource listings.

Also here are a few more AS books that may be of interest:

Not Even Wrong (ISBN 1-58234-367-5) is an autobiographical account by Paul Collins, a historian who views his autistic son as a happy, healthy child and resists the mainstream idea that autism is a crippling disease. Educating himself as well as the reader in the history and background of autism, Collins searches for (and finds) a school where his son's strengths as an autistic will be encouraged rather than suppressed. He points out that autistic people can and do communicate, even when they do not or cannot speak. He also emphasizes that many autists go unrecognized as such because they do not fit the stereotypical profile, particularly if they are successful in their careers; their autistic traits are often simply passed off as eccentricities. The book is as much intended for autistic people as it is for parents and others who need to know that autists are not vegetables.

Aquamarine Blue 5 (ISBN 0-8040-1054-4) is a collection of essays by autistic college students, edited by Dawn Prince-Hughes. The students come from a variety of backgrounds. Most were not diagnosed autistic as children and have worked out their own ways to live in a society that seems very alien to them. The essays describe the advantages and disadvantages of autism to a person trying to succeed at university, and how outsiders can misinterpret a simple autistic preference as a mental disease. One girl, for example, reported the not uncommon autistic experience of having to eat only two or three food items and ordering the same thing every day; anything else made her vomit. She was mistaken by friends and university staff as having an eating disorder. Dr. Prince-Hughes tells her own story in Songs of the Gorilla Nation (ISBN 1-4000-5058-8).

A science fiction novel, C.S. Friedman's This Alien Shore (ISBN 0-88677-799-2), envisions a future in which states of mind currently thought of as mental diseases, among them autism, are accepted as valid lifestyles, and the cultures on many earth colonies have adapted to allow these persons to fit in and contribute to the economy and to society. People paint their faces with distinctive designs letting others know what to expect. Masada, one of the key characters, is clearly meant to be autistic, of a form often described as Asperger syndrome.

Margaret Atwood's novel, Oryx and Crake, has a university labelled Asperger's U, where almost every student appears to have Asperger Syndrome or autism in varying degrees of severity and form. People in the university refer to non-autists as neurotypicals and seem to view them as something altogether different (and perhaps inferior) to themselves. The end of the human race is brought about almost entirely by the character Crake, who attended Asperger's U and was no exception to their rule. He believed that the human race was, by the end of the novel, doomed to extinction simply because of its overuse of resources and the corruption of the social elite.

I knew about Oryx and Crake, but never heard of The Alien Shore-thanks so much for sharing! I'm a huge sci-fi fan and the synopsis for that one sounds great.

ramondamyconi
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Dec 2016, 2:42 pm

Also wanted to give thanks for this thread and forum in general-I don't exactly remember in which post I found her name, but someone had recommended looking into Tania A. Marshall. On her website there is a list of recommended providers who are familiar with female ASD/AS, and I ended up finding one listed within reachable distance in my state, so now I can finally begin the process to get my diagnosis made official. Really grateful guys, thanks!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2018, 1:09 am

Sex and The Single Aspie by Rudy Simone

Quote:
One of the many problems women on the spectrum face is not always understanding how relationships and boundaries work for other people. This book provides answers, plus more that they may not even have thought to ask. Covering one night stands, the importance of safe sex, self-respect, and double standards, there is a wealth of information about the ethics and self-understanding involved in relationships.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

caThar4G
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 9:13 pm

The eye expression link didn't work.