Are we more or less likely to smoke tobacco?

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Are people on the spectrum more or less likely to smoke tobacco?
I am a smoker 22%  22%  [ 20 ]
I have never smoked 64%  64%  [ 58 ]
I was a smoker but quit 13%  13%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 90

MandiLynn
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Sep 2012, 5:38 pm

I did try it a couple of times. But it was just too awful. Did not make much sense. Tastes terrible, smells bad, doesnt do anything good at all. And you will most likely die a terrible death. (sorry so blunt) I just dont get it.

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 6:03 pm

I'm a heavy smoker. I attribute it to the fact that my father was a heavy smoker, my mother smoked during pregnancy and I found cigarettes soothed my anxiety at age 15 so I became addicted. Now I wish I could stop, but I have no solace in life except cigarettes, coca-cola and chocolate.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 6:05 pm

I hate cigarets but ill smoke weed. tobacco makes me nauseous and taste gross

Alfonso12345
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Sep 2012, 6:40 pm

MandiLynn wrote:
I did try it a couple of times. But it was just too awful. Did not make much sense. Tastes terrible, smells bad, doesnt do anything good at all. And you will most likely die a terrible death. (sorry so blunt) I just dont get it.

There was no reason to apologize for being blunt about this. This is honest and straight forward and it is a good thing.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 6:51 pm

Ecksenntrik wrote:
Where's the option for, I tried one cigarette, threw up, called the offending person a word I can't use on this forum, and then never smoked again? :)

Anyway, I think we're no more or less likely than anyone else. It's down to the person.

I believe that would fall under "quit" :lol:

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 7:00 pm

Moondust wrote:
I'm a heavy smoker. I attribute it to the fact that my father was a heavy smoker, my mother smoked during pregnancy and I found cigarettes soothed my anxiety at age 15 so I became addicted. Now I wish I could stop, but I have no solace in life except cigarettes, coca-cola and chocolate.

I started smoking at age 12 and smoked for 28 years. I bought an electronic cigarette out of curiosity one day then ordered a kit online. The day I got my kit I quit smoking cold turkey and didn't even crave cigs. Inhaling water vapor and nicotine and food flavoring Vs. 4000 or so chemicals in tobacco... wasn't a hard choice. If you really want to quit tobacco send me a PM and I'll tell you anything you want to know about personal vaporizers (AS afterall :lol:) so you don't make the same mistakes that I did. I tried patches and gum and couldn't quit tobacco, but it was cakewalk with a PV. They're meant as a tabacco substitute rather than a quit smoking device but like I said, water vapor Vs. combustion of plant matter.

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 7:12 pm

I have never used tobacco. Nicotine terrifies me. My dad used to smoke (thankfully, he did it outside) and much of my extended family still does smoke. I hate being around all of them because I can't stand the smoke. Even when they're not smoking, the smell permeating all of their possessions is intolerable. I think I'll be shooting up heroin long before I try a cigarette.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 7:15 pm

Alfonso12345 wrote:
If we were more likely to smoke something, it certainly wouldn't be tobacco. Marijuana would be much safer and less addictive, depending on who is selling it of course. I've never tried it before and I'm not sure if I ever will, but I know from research that it is much safer than tobacco.

I hated pot. Lamest drug to me.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 9:01 pm

Smoking = disgusting habit.

Oh, and most of my smoking relatives have dropped dead from lung cancer, so, apparently, my genetic code isn't compatible.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 9:08 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:

Oh, and most of my smoking relatives have dropped dead from lung cancer, so, apparently, my genetic code isn't compatible.

I have to admit that I'm a chain smoker.
We all gotta die of something :roll:

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 9:30 pm

pokerface wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

I just prefer to up my chances of dying peacefully at home in bed as opposed to in a hospital, hopped-up on pain-killers, and in extreme discomfort.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

Last edited by XFilesGeek on 27 Sep 2012, 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MandiLynn
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Sep 2012, 9:34 pm

Alfonso12345 wrote:
MandiLynn wrote:

There was no reason to apologize for being blunt about this. This is honest and straight forward and it is a good thing.

Thanks

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 9:35 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
pokerface wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

I just prefer to up my chances of dying peacefully in at home bed as opposed to in a hospital, hopped-up on pain-killers, and in extreme discomfort.

You may prefer to up your chances but there are no guarantees, XfilesGeek.
Live has a tendancy to be very unfair which means that I will may be the one who dies peacefully in my own bed, aged 98, instead of you. .
Not that I deserve it with my lifestyle but it's not impossible either.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 9:38 pm

The only reason people take up smoking is peer pressure in highschool.

So if you are an aspie loner with no friends, and thus no 'peers' in highschool, you dont have peer pressure. So you reach adulthood without taking up smoking.

Or maybe Im just assuming everyone on WP is like me.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 9:38 pm

pokerface wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
pokerface wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

I just prefer to up my chances of dying peacefully in at home bed as opposed to in a hospital, hopped-up on pain-killers, and in extreme discomfort.

You may prefer to up your chances but there are no guarantees, XfilesGeek.
Live has a tendancy to be very unfair which means that I will may be the one who dies peacefully in my own bed, aged 98, instead of you. .
Not that I deserve it with my lifestyle but it's not impossible either.

I didn't say there are guarantees, but you can influence certain factors to work towards a better outcome.

In my experience, the fatalistic, "Screw it, I'm gonna die anyway," attitude only lasts until the exact moment when the doctor announces that they found something on your chest x-ray.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 10:08 pm

Most disorders in the DSM have a higher than average population rate of smoking; while autism spectrum disorders are explicitly otherwise. They are very few disorders in the DSM that have lower than the average population smoking rates - autism spectrum disorders are there.

(Citation: http://www.psy-journal.com/article/S0165-1781(03)00123-9/abstract)