This was in my inbox - Connect Me Program

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Esther
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2012, 9:23 pm

Click - Connect Me Program

It could be of use to some of you here. :)

kalor
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Sep 2012, 12:17 am

"The ConnectMe clinical research program is taking place around the world. Look at this map of America to see where!"

:D

Thanks anyway.

diniesaur
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 1:05 am

"...evaluate the safety and tolerability of the investigational drug..."

That seems scary. I know it says that the kids' health will be monitored constantly, but what if it causes long-term effects like damaging heart, brain, or other organs? And those kids seem a little young to be able to consent. (and it DEFINITELY shouldn't be left up to the parents--it's not their bodies they're risking!)

Are they sure this would be safe?

Esther
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 7:36 pm

I admit I didn't read the pages thoroughly. I do wonder though what would make this drug different to others that some parents have their child/ren on now willingly.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 11:04 pm

diniesaur wrote:
"...evaluate the safety and tolerability of the investigational drug..."

That seems scary. I know it says that the kids' health will be monitored constantly, but what if it causes long-term effects like damaging heart, brain, or other organs? And those kids seem a little young to be able to consent. (and it DEFINITELY shouldn't be left up to the parents--it's not their bodies they're risking!)

Are they sure this would be safe?

All clinical trials carry an inherent risk. In order to reach human clinical trials, you need to successfully complete animal trials, and I believe there is a general trial on humans using adult testers. That said, nothing can totally remove the risk.

We need people though, until someone finds a better way. I was actually reading that we are in danger of not having enough people to keep testing medicines.

diniesaur
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 1:26 am

That's true, but how do the children consent if they're so young? Why not test it on older people first so that if it destroys their bodies or brains it's their faults instead of their parents'?

Also, I'm a bit apprehensive about the resources section. There's Autism Speaks (which I hear is getting better, so not so bad), and there's one of those shifty websites that's just about advertising a book with all the highlighting and bolding certain words and acts like Asperger's Syndrome is all horrible.

But I'm also paranoid.

Bombaloo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 10:17 am

It is imperative that human trials be conducted with the population for which the drug is intended to be used. One of the problems with drug trials in the past is that the subjects were mostly white adult males. So if there were side effects that only effected women or a particular ethnic group, that did not come to light during testing. Yes there is risk but yo :cry: u can't know if a drug is effective for kids without actually testing it on kids.