Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

JockGitJnr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Sep 2012, 5:01 pm

For some reason whenever I do anything repetitive I count how many times I do it in my head. Sometimes it has to be a set number of times, like when I am brushing my teeth (20 times each side) or drinking out of a bottle (either 1, 7, 10 or 12 sips depending on what the drink is, how thirsty I am ect.) ,while other times it is until I get bored of what I am doing, like when I am stroking my dog. I never go over 100; I always restart counting when I reach it. Does anyone else do this or anything like it?

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 5:25 pm

Yep, I count all the time, hence my username. I count virtually everything. Even while I'm watching TV I'm counting. I've done so since around the age of 5.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 12:28 am

I wouldn't say I count all the time but I definitely count certain things. I always count steps when I walk up and down stairs and I sometimes count my steps when I walk outside. Sometimes I count the number of cars in a certain colour that I see. These are just a few examples.

JockGitJnr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Sep 2012, 9:32 am

rebbieh wrote:
I always count steps when I walk up and down stairs

I also do this even though I know that every house I enter will always have 14

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 10:08 am

JockGitJnr wrote:
I also do this even though I know that every house I enter will always have 14

Yep. I know there are 16 steps to the 2nd floor of my parents house. I also know there are 50 steps from where I live to the ground level (or whatever it's called). I still count them every time.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 10:10 am

I'm guilty as charged: I am definitely a compulsive counter. Whether it be tiles on a floor, number of kittens each cat had, amount of dice I own, pencils in a box or the amount of rounds I own. It came as no surprise when I was diagnosed with OCD.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 10:58 am

Numbers have never been my thing, thus I only count on certain situations. I wish numbers where my thing then I could have a career in a nice little office as an accountant, that would be so awesome.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 8:13 pm

For a while around middle school, I had an impulsive need to count the number of steps I took; it was really annoying because no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get the numbers out of my head. I haven't had that problem in a while now though, but I do still find myself involuntarily counting stairs whenever I encounter them, always including the bottom and top floors in my count. I've noticed that most houses have between 13 and 15 steps including both floors.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

LordExiron
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Sep 2012, 10:00 pm

With certain things. I count deodorant swipes religiously - I change the number but they must be even. I also count small things I'm eating like crackers, cookies, chips, grapes, and eat only even numbers of them. I chew them with alternating sides of my mouth. I do the same with bites of larger things. I also sometimes count stairs or steps on floors with tiles of alternating color. On the stairs, if there is an odd number of steps, I step back up on the bottom step and jump down. On the tile floors, I try to only step on one color an make sure I take an even number of steps. So, for me, it's not about counting, but about a sense of evenness, which can be a major sensory issue for me.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 3:05 am

I have OCD. I count lots of things I do (like sips of tea, number of times I wipe my hands on a towel) and if they're not a prime number, I get stressed out and start again if I can.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 7:09 am

SteelMaiden wrote:
I have OCD. I count lots of things I do (like sips of tea, number of times I wipe my hands on a towel) and if they're not a prime number, I get stressed out and start again if I can.

Hope that you dont take offense but:

You sound like a cross between Monk (the TV detective) and Sheldon in the Big Bang Theory!

Thats friggin' hilarious!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 7:29 am

Mirror21 wrote:
Numbers have never been my thing, thus I only count on certain situations. I wish numbers where my thing then I could have a career in a nice little office as an accountant, that would be so awesome.

Well- if you dont mind standing and walking all day (non office work) you ought to consider applying to my company (or one of its competitors) in the inventory counting business.

I spend all day running around retail stores with a little computer on my belt counting merchandise in retail stores. Store chains ( Giant food, Kohl's, Victoria's Secret) hire us to count their inventory.

You OCD folks might as well get paid for your affliction!

xsolar47
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 6:22 pm

I count things in multiples of 4. When things are in 4 groups of 4 is even better.

I stroke my beard in multiples of 4. I count the teeth in my head in groups of 4.

For me, it is a form of stimulation and an OCD trait.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2012, 9:17 am

I do it sometimes, especially when I'm bored and I need something to do with my brain. I count to time myself when I'm taking a shower and brushing my teeth. I count at red lights. When I have to stand in line, like at the bank or the DMV, I count ceiling tiles, lights, people coming in the door, whatever's available to ennumerate. I've heard of people bringing a book to pass the time in line, but I have trouble reading standing up, unless I have something to lean on.