Yes, but rarely so. 13%  13%  [ 12 ]
No, never. 23%  23%  [ 22 ]
Total votes : 95

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 7:30 pm

Hello Wrong Planet,

I just wanted to find out if I share a commonality with anyone on the Spectrum...does anyone have trouble writing essays?

...I for as long as I can remember had a massive problem with them; I can never seem to organize my thoughts or get my point across in a short time-span, and my work always ends up being 'long-winded' and frequently goes off topic. I also get so stressed out before and during the time I'm writing them that I start to cry hysterically, and so badly want to give up on them- sometimes I get this feeling so bad that suicidal thoughts start to manifest in my head.

This is starting to happen more regularly now, as Ihave just started my AS courses at Sixth Form, and 3 out of my 4 subjects are 'essay-based' ones; I study Psychology, Sociology and Religious Studies (Theology).

So, can anyone relate to this issue; at least to some degree? I am an undiagnosed person with a possible ASD (SEE Signature), and was just wondering whether this is an issue that many people with an ASD deal with, or if it's completely unrelated.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNjuB4 ... WnSA552Xjg

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 7:49 pm

I hate writing essays.

Writing essays for classes was both boring and painful.

My most hated essays were the literary analysis kinds for English class.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 7:56 pm

I think it can have a lot to do with focusing on details, and having difficulty putting all the ideas into a cohesive whole. At university I wrote a few research reports. I was fine with the Method and Results sections, but always struggled with the Introduction and, to a slightly lesser degree, the Discussion at the end. The hard sections were the more "essay" type parts, where a lot of information had to be brought together and presented in a clear-flowing manner. It's tough.

XFilesGeek
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Sep 2012, 8:16 pm

I kick butt at writing essays.

I prefer them to mindless true/false questions, or confusing multiple choice questions.

Never had a problem.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (moderator)

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 8:39 pm

I have trouble with word minimums/limits. I have something to say and that's it. It might be one sentence or twenty pages, but I can neither fluff it up to meet the minimum nor shorten it to meet the maximum.

A lot of the time I have no interest in the prompt. I can't make up a long winded response when I have no opinion on the topic. I generally don't write anything when that is the case. Ambiguous prompts are also a big problem. I just can't think of anything to write. I had an English teacher one year who loved making silly ambiguous prompts for the daily essays and I got bad grades because I couldn't write anything most days. I got in trouble once because she told us the prompt was "write about something good" and I loudly said "ugh" and facepalmed.

TheWebbz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Sep 2012, 8:43 pm

I agree. I hate essay writing, and I always make them too long and crazy.

I don't have a clue how I won the city-wide essay writing competition last year.

(It's compulsory, I had to participate)

It was always cold, no sunshine
---
Your Aspie score: 146 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 61 of 200

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 9:14 pm

providing I can type it, it'll turn out much better.

Usually if it's something along the lines of a paper though, I work best under pressure, with lots of caffeine, at 4am. Then I know I'm going to knock it out of the park.

Michaelis
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Sep 2012, 9:30 pm

My performance in essay writing varies depending on whether I am interested in the topic.
If I am interested I usually do quite well.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 9:58 pm

I used to struggle terribly with writing them until I developed a "process" for writing them, which takes most of the decision making off me and where I only need to follow the process. If I follow the process, I'm no longer "writing a paper", I'm just putting piecies of information together so they fit in an extremely logical manner.

If I attempt to "write a paper" without using my process - it places unnecessary stress on me and results in a freakout, or huge bout of procrastination, at which I write the paper the day before and my executive dysfunction becomes worse as I struggle to translate my thoughts into a written sentence even worse than usual.

ral31
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Sep 2012, 10:20 pm

I'm pretty good at essay's. They usually come from some experience in my life and sort of flow out. I have to think about them for several days before I start writing though. The funny thing is, I tried to use the invention methods they teach to help (i.e.-freeflow thinking, outline, etc...), but when I finally wrote the paper it was nothing like all the invention I'd worked on.

I write in my head when I'm driving (not in traffic.) or other times that don't require all of my attention. Computers have made it much easier as I can cut and paste my sentences together into proper paragraphs. Not to mention spell check.

MrObvious
Raven
Raven

28 Sep 2012, 10:22 pm

Does anyone really like writing essays though?

chiastic_slide
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Sep 2012, 2:53 am

If I'm enjoying the topic then writing the essay is enjoyable. Otherwise it is a headache. I tend to write pages and pages of detail, then try to find a structure to bring the good bits together. I nearly always go over the word limit but through practice I've got better at editing out unecessary details and trying to write more consisely. Sometimes I think it probably takes me longer than others, the process I follow tends to be backwards: examples and detail first, then structure and argument.

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 4:00 am

if im interested in it then the reseach part is fun but otherwise i suck at every aspect. im sucking right now as i type- i have an essay due in 2 days and i havent started. i cant focus and i can organise myself and structure my essay and i cant reference and i generally suck all round. like my writting style is good and i get good marks sometimes but i have never handed anything in on time and go off on so many tangents and over time my essays have lost structure and "flow" and man, i suck.

XFilesGeek
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Sep 2012, 11:35 am

MrObvious wrote:
Does anyone really like writing essays though?

I do.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (moderator)

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 1:34 pm

Essay writing targets my ASD-related weak spots:

not good verbal thinking for organizing verbal thoughts and eggspressing thoughts verbally
not good theory of mind for analyzing what other people think about the topic

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 1:41 pm

I used to struggle a lot. I was then given a piece of software called Mind Genius. It's mind mapping software. I can put my thoughts down and then organise them into writing an essay.