Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

shadowstate
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Dec 2006, 11:48 pm

please comment noam is my idol i am 15 years old but yet no at my school knows who he is

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2006, 1:13 am

You mean nobody at your school knows who he is? That is no surprise. High schoolers usually don't know much about the world around them, at least not the academic world.

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2006, 1:20 am

Must high-schoolers think Nietzsche is an STD.

Deutha
Toucan
Toucan

10 Dec 2006, 5:46 am

>>Must high-schoolers think Nietzsche is an STD.

LOL

I know of him shadowstate..there is even a doco at my nearest vid store featuring his philosophies :)

darkenergy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Dec 2006, 8:07 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
You mean nobody at your school knows who he is? That is no surprise. High schoolers usually don't know much about the world around them, at least not the academic world.

Sadly true. We can add a few more worlds to make a list...

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2006, 10:15 pm

Aww philosophy, neednt read theory but think of it

McJeff
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2006, 12:11 am

High schoolers should not be being taught about Noam Chomsky. He's a disgrace of the highest caliber.

Panik
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Dec 2006, 12:41 am

McJeff wrote:
High schoolers should not be being taught about Noam Chomsky. He's a disgrace of the highest caliber.

Explain please. How are students supposed to form a political opinion of their own unless they study them all? I have read Chomsky and I'm not even in the US! So much for education huh?

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2006, 1:15 am

Panik wrote:
Explain please. How are students supposed to form a political opinion of their own unless they study them all? I have read Chomsky and I'm not even in the US! So much for education huh?

Most students form their own political opinion based upon their environment and by the time they are high schoolers most have their own political viewpoint. As well, most people don't need to study all political ideas in order to come up with an opinion and doing so would end up with too much reading for the average political science class for a typical high schooler considering all of the political views that have been and that would need to be recognized. Many people have read Chomsky in many areas of the world, I will admit to not having read him because of the fact that I have never really run across any of his books cheaply or freely in pdf.

Panik
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Dec 2006, 2:02 am

Yeah ok you don't have to study every little political dissident in particular that wasn't what I meant, sorry for being unclear. Uhm because it's critical of the government and capitalism it must be unpatriotic and a disgrace?

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2006, 7:33 am

Panik wrote:
Yeah ok you don't have to study every little political dissident in particular that wasn't what I meant, sorry for being unclear. Uhm because it's critical of the government and capitalism it must be unpatriotic and a disgrace?

Well, most anarchists or other far-left wingers for that matter aren't known for patriotism, and Chomsky, being very far out there, is strongly disliked by certain groups of people, who would rationally consider him a disgrace for being so wrong.

McJeff
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2006, 7:41 am

I don't have a problem with Chomsky... well, I do, but it's a personal opinion thing, I don't question his right to believe, write about and teach whatever it is he wants. That doesn't mean I can't consider him repulsive along the same lines as the KKK and the Black Panthers.

He's actually quite a bit above the two, but I would say his intellectualism begins where his anti-Americanism ends. He seems to be plagued by an inability to control a knee jerk reaction and blame America and/or Israel for all the worlds problems.

The thing is, I don't think high school age children should be taught about radicals, except from the perspective of "This is who [a radical] is, and this is what he believes in". I don't want my kids being taught anti-Americanism or anti-Zionism any more than I want them being taught racial supremacy.

tdbrown82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Dec 2006, 8:43 am

People in the US need to know about radicals more than anything. It is important to know why people around the world hate our country however irrational it may be.

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2006, 12:37 pm

High Schoolers who don't understand the academic world have to learn it in college, and that can be a challenge for them.

RobertN
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2006, 9:48 am

I've got several books by Chomsky. He's cool. Keep on reading, mate and stick your finger up at the patriots and the establishment telling you what to do and what you should be allowed to read.

AutisticOne
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Dec 2006, 2:09 am

Chomsky is a moral hypocrite with no credibility.