Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 6:43 pm

I haven't , really , been here for a long time and I basically threw myself out before I got thrown out before .
( I don't have much time for back story , I am running out of library time now :( . )
I still have this diabetic-helped ( Type 2 ) wound on my big toe , since I'm homeless , I can't even get enough rest to - possibly - have it get better .
A doctor said to me recently as the above header says , and worse has been said to me about my prospects .
( NO - shelters don't give you enough ability to rest - or even sleep - AT ALL , believe me .
And , likewise , there has been no social services " place to stay a while " offered to me , California has been half-bankrupt since before the recession started , when the possibility of some was dangled , they never happened . )
I had two small inheritances stolen from me , one by an SS agency in San Francisco , the other by a blood relative ! :cry:
A lawyer here has claimed he would help me ( Pro bono . ) , but , he seems unwilling to press anything regarding the thefts - I am not only homeless and without a phone , I have the shyness which comes with Aspergers' , but he seems to thinkI should try and contact people in SF who are large instutions where I don't know where to contact anyone - And , he has backed away from going after either of the inheritance theives , or others too ! ( The family member has kept me in the dark for approximately THIRTEEN YEARS about some land in another state that - maybe - I could stay one , camp out on barely , anyway - maybe .
I have already had 1/2 a toe ampuated ( about the time I was AS DX'd , actually ) and...I think about what by blood sugar - which is ,, at times , over 400 , even 500 ! - I seem to have built up a large tolerance . - might be doing to me long-trfem .
However , homeless , I can't preserver food , let alone cook it , and I am tempted to drown my sorrows in cola/sweets (pizza - It's cheap here ) ( my , how poetic . ) . .

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 6:50 pm

why aren't your blood sugars better controlled? better control would help the wound heal. sounds like your doc is slacking.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 7:10 pm

cathylynn wrote:
why aren't your blood sugars better controlled? better control would help the wound heal. sounds like your doc is slacking.

its hard to do that when you are homeless

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 7:18 pm

Do Not drown your sorrows in (sorry) poison bleached white flour and stupid corn syrup. If you must, et the protein off the top of a pizza and throw the rest away. Demand your self to heal and your doc to help you.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 8:33 pm

If you need better circulation (besides the blood sugar) try eating garlic, it helps circulation a lot, garlic and hot pepper. Roll of raw garlic should be about 2 bucks, same with hot pepper. Eat it with whatever. If you got access to a vitamin store or anything like that, see if you can buy a natural pill for diabetes, they can help sometimes, and it'd probably be 5-10 bucks (or just straight out tell them you're homeless and diabetic, and maybe they'll be sympathetic and lower the price or give it to you for free, especially if it's a private store and not a chain.) Also, I don't know shelter rules, but you're better off cooking for yourself. Go to a Salvation Army or something like that, and grab a hot water boiler or hotplate or something, and cook where you're allowed to plug it in. You'll save money compared to eating out.

Also, regarding shyness. I'm assuming a homeless shelter is more similar to prison in it's social atmosphere. If so, shyness will KILL you. Why are you shy? Probably because you care about other's opinions. Well other people's opinions won't matter much if you're dead, now won't they? I understand the shy thing, but uh, you know, you'll be dead if you're shy right now. You gotta just get angry and demand things right now if you wanna like, live.

Good luck, though. I'm sorry things have panned out so badly for you, hopefully they get better.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 9:26 pm

I've been homeless in L.A. It wasn't pretty. There are NO shelters except cold weather shelters. That's the only time they open. You stand in a line, get a cot, and sleep with your shoes on. Off and it will be stolen. The shelter had no handles on their faucets so no water. When you're homeless chances are you also have NO money. I was lucky in that I had a car. I slept in it during the day at a park near Los Feliz. At night I slept in the parking lot at the West Hollywood Public Library. I did this for a couple of months till I got a job then I moved into a long term motel in North Hollywood on Van Owen near the Burbank Airport. Yeah. Loud as hell, that's why the room was cheap. L.A. is just not a place for the homeless, yet they have thousands of them because of the weather. The soup kitchens/food pantries were jokes. Its like they went through dumpsters at night and served what they found in the daytime. It was an absolute nightmare. If I'd stayed there I would've died. I sure was suicidal there. I was one of the lucky ones with people who knew me in NY and that's eventually where I went back to.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 9:37 pm

I understand that Vitamin D can help keep blood sugar under control.

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2012, 3:34 am

Hello ASS-P,

Glad to have news and to know that you're still alive.

... But what a pity those news aren't better.

And no, your situation is not poetic at all.
And I had no idea that sugar could be such as a "drug addiction" for someone.
The best for your mental, the worst for your health.
It's really a pity.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 8:13 am

...I am still here , the medical thing is about the same :-( but I got barred from the library , again , so an X-PENSIVE! Kinko's is my only option now...:-(

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 12:40 pm

Hang on in there. The main thing is to get your blood sugar levels as normal as possible. I was recently diagnosed (late) with type 2 diabetes and it has already caused damage to the nerves in my hands and feet which are tingling all the time and caused some heart irregularity too. It is a horrible disease and unregulated blood sugar levels cause damage to every system in the body. Are you getting the proper medication? You've got to resist those high sugar foods and drinks, they will literally kill you - and it is a horrible slow death. Any wounds should be kept clean and allowed to heal - I know it takes a lot longer though if your blood sugar levels aren't balanced; but if the bone gets infected you will face more amputations. Hope it works out OK for you.

JRR
Toucan
Toucan

23 Oct 2012, 5:53 pm

Ok, two medical things to help you:

Maggot Therapy (for ultra-cleaning the wounds): http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=da7_1325216570 (it seems to fix it in extreme cases)
Extracellular Matrix (for regrowing digits): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUbc7cbJNJE and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_OI4Ttz ... re=related

Anchor on to your interests and use them to get out of your negative situation. I only know about it, since one of mine is cutting edge medical tech.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 7:21 pm

I'm sorry for the difficulty you are having. I can't offer any practical advice on your problem, but I just think you might want to start with controlling what to eat so your health condition won't deteriorate. Health always comes first. Health is the basis for everything else. Vegetables are not only healthy but also cheaper than junk food. Get vegetables that can be eaten raw so that you won't have to worry about cooking (, but make sure they are washed clean). That's what I often do though I could cook if I wanted. I'm just too lazy to cook. I understand being homeless makes things extra-hard, not to mention having AS. But small improvements can motivate you to improve things even further and you will feel positive. A positive attitude and strong will can change things dramatically. I just hope you care about yourself enough to look after your health. Let us know again how things are going.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 8:16 pm

It may be a desperate gambit, but are you sick enough to require hospitalization? If you are, then you can at least get your blood sugar stabilized in the short term. A visit to an emergency room might at least get you that much, though you may not get admitted. Try to get as clean as you can beforehand, so that the doctors won't stereotype you as much. If you're admitted, it may be to the mental ward, because of your situation--your mental condition (your AS) is causing you to be unable to take care of a physical health problem, so that your diabetes is poorly controlled.

Yes, I'm aware that shelters don't let you sleep very much. Get up early, get out; and you're not going to be able to get to bed particularly early, either, because you have to stand in line for everything. That would completely drive me up the wall. Find some more places where you can sleep, rotate them. Don't get into a routine. The cleaner you look, the better.

Can you get a social worker? You need things that you are not any good at getting for yourself--medical care, most importantly. You have a developmental disability which prevents you from taking care of yourself effectively, including finding resources for yourself. Perhaps that laywer you talked to could give you a referral. I got a referral to a social worker when I was hospitalized, so if you visit an emergency room or are hospitalized for your diabetes, you should ask whether the hospital has one. Explain that you know you need to find help with food, housing, medical care, etc., but that you are autistic and you don't know how to find help for yourself; so you need somebody to show you. Hopefully that will get you an appointment with somebody at least remotely helpful.

Have you got a reliable source of food? Food stamps? Can you get to a grocery store where the prices are low enough to let you buy what you need and can eat? Do you have a way to cook food? Try to get your hands on some vegetables, at least, but they're expensive for the calories they provide, so you're probably going to have to fill up on bread and similar items. Peanut butter is good for protein; canned chicken or tuna if you can get it (both are good to eat on bread). Make sure you get enough protein if you spend a lot of time walking--I've made the mistake of not eating enough, and my muscles hurt for weeks. Wheat is better than white, but more expensive; but it also has higher calorie counts, which means more filling and will keep you going longer, as well as not being converted into sugar so quickly; so I'd recommend wheat bread when you can get it. Check for day-old bread, marked-down produce, and seasonal items going out of season.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 8:52 pm

...Briefly , yes , I have gone to the ER quite a bit , I am in a sort of " rich ex-60s types " Northern Cal. town that tends to keep cheaper stores out of downtown , I have been decidedly a creature of habit ( Aspie after all ) tending to sleep in the same general place nite after nite , however , I probably have to go to another town now , my situation/I have burned some bridges here ( Including the library ) , and , too , another bigger town near here offers a " here's a bus ticket to get out of town " program not offered here ( However , I would - cough - have to have someone let be contacted and say they were my relative , etc. , that thiving relative I have essentially no adult relatives )...

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 9:46 pm

...Still here :(

Issit
Raven
Raven

05 Nov 2012, 9:50 am

Quote:
another bigger town near here offers a " here's a bus ticket to get out of town "

I would try that
You never know,
maybe that could improve your life a lot.

But you know where you would like to go?

I know how hard it is to be on the streets,
and I pray for you and hope things will get better soon