the issue of free will and moral choice in a clockwork orang

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2006, 5:19 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
... it would be necessary to thin people, perhaps even find ways to process them so that they can be eaten without causing disease in the rest of the population.....

I'm developing plans for a Soylent Green factory as we speak :lol:

I don't know whether to steer this back to Clockwork Orange or stay on evelotion.
I will check this thread tomorrow.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2006, 7:42 am

What I saw from a Clockwork Orange, wasn't that the guy was getting 'what was coming to him'.

I took it that violence is always violence, and it's always horrible.

When he was in prison, and he started going through the bible it seemed like he was starting to reform kind of. (Kind of lame, but whatever. It's been awhile since I've seen the movie, but I'm thinking he probably wasn't really finding religion, but he was adjusting to be a descent person) This, wasn't 'the easy way out' (though I think it was what the character's original line of thinking was, but hey, everyone needs to start somewhere)

When they do all the weird stuff that made it impossible to commit violence, what it also meant was that he wasn't able to defend himself. It was a quick fix. Not thought out well at all. And, in a way was itself a form of violence.

Not only that, but there were his 'buddies' who were there committing the same awful deeds. But because they're in police uniforms, now it's officially sanctioned violence! And that somehow makes it "okay".

So what are we left with when it wears out? A guy who's still probably going to go out their and commit crimes. And likely is going to be able to get away with them because he's famous.

In order to stop abuse, we need to change attitudes and stop thinking that abuse is okay. My own personal feelings are definitely colouring things, but then I'm sure the same can be said for everyone. Still, that's what I take from this. (Well, that last bit I'm not to sure of. That's just my opinion)

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2006, 2:44 pm

shadowstate wrote:

yeah u know alex that sadistic charsmatic hoodlum
who indelges in the ills of society rape utrla violence
horever his free will is replenicsed by the state
his actions from then on are purely orestetded
and he can never commit good or evil now because his moral choice has been deprive
what are your thoghts on the eithchal imlacations of this act

Don't take this to any offense but you had so many typos and grammatical errors in there I could pass it off as a foreign language. Try typing this statement alittle better, it looks like something a 4 yr old wrote.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

21 Dec 2006, 3:08 pm

snake321 wrote:
Don't take this to any offense but you had so many typos and grammatical errors in there I could pass it off as a foreign language. Try typing this statement alittle better, it looks like something a 4 yr old wrote.

He has dyslexia. I have dyslexia and it takes alot of extra effort to make my post look
like English. Anyway we had a thread on WP before in which the power of the human
brain can eaisily read badly typed text:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... azi#252002

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2006, 12:24 pm

my bad then, I apologize.

4lex
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Dec 2006, 1:46 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
peebo wrote:

TheMachine1 wrote:
No reason to make a moral judgement about a person actions.

But clearily be it a leaking water pipe , burning building or person commiting non-victimless crimes they all need to be put back in control.

are these statements not contradictory? if not morality, what is the fundamental basis of a need for control in terms of the actions of a person?

The same basis as fixing a water pipe that is leaking flooding ones home and wasting water. A person trying to rob, rape and kill you is a water pipe leaking on your home.
Oh I assume fixing a leaking pipe is not a moral but practical thing. If technically its a moral judgement to you thats fine. I see people as machines no different than a water pipe. If a pipe can be fixed ,fix it. If it must be scraped, scrap it.

As cold as this sounds initially, I have to support it. We shoot mad dogs (harmful, dangerous, and proven dangers to society by their individual actions). I don't see why people should be any different. One shot at curing the problem, then straight to the firing squad.