does anyone avoid mobile phones? especially smartphones

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2012, 3:49 am

pschristmas wrote:

Now, something I really hate -- and I mean with a passion -- is texting. Text messages are the most irritating things in the world. I find them horribly intrusive. I can ignore an inconvenient phone call until a better time, but I can't ignore my phone going off every minute or so with text messages. And there's never just one. My daughter (she's 24) tries to hold long conversations via text message, and it drives me batty. I can never go more than two rounds of texts without just calling to get the conversation over with. It takes five times longer to have the same conversation via text as it would if she'd just freaking call me to begin with.

Oh good. I thought I was the only one that hated texting. I'm actually the sort of person who is more comfortable talking on the phone than face to face because I don't have to process someone's body language or make eye contact. It seems like it's the opposite for many other aspies. Anyway, I hate texting because it's such an inefficient way of communicating. I can see the appeal if you really don't want to speak, but the sort of stuff you say in a text can be uttered in less that a few seconds, anyway - unless you're one of those people who holds real convos via text, in which case, I won't have the patience to text back, so expect me to ring you - much later - until you get the message that I don't do SMS.

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2012, 5:18 am

my parents made me get a phone. i would prefer not to have one. mine is the most low tech thing i could get(saying that implies i went out of my way to get it- its actually a hand me down). it can store about 5 crap quality photos. i cant operate those new things nor do i want to. they just seem useless wastes of space. my sister will be giving me her old phone and im worried about that because i have no idea how to use it even though it isnt as complex as a smart phone but i have to get it because my motorolla is carking it. like bits of it are falling off.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2012, 6:10 am

I hate phones, full stop. I was probably the last person I know (other than my parents) to get a mobile phone. The only reason I got one was because my daughter was starting nursery, so it was just in case the workers there needed me urgently. I seldom ever use it. The only people I feel comfortable speaking with on the phone are my husband and parents. I'm happy to send a text, but I'm not in the habit of doing that either. I might send one per week, at most, and make perhaps one call per month. I phone my parents on the land line every day, but seldom ever anyone else.