Toddlers and Babies who don't want to get hugged

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Oct 2012, 4:37 pm

KnarlyDUDE09 wrote:
At my ASD assessment where they took developmental history, without prompting or being asked about my old habits, my mum said I was like that when I was little. Also, my older brother randomly said that I've never liked hugs...I don't know if it's an ASD thing, but it could be related- why, I don't know.

That's something my mother told me, not once but many times. She always says "when you were a baby you didn't liked to be hugged or kissed. You would hit me and kick me. " So, I don't remember it but that's what I've been told.
lady_katie wrote:
My son is 14 months old, and from birth he refused to be held. We would have to put him in his bouncy chair or swing in order to get him to calm down. My mother in law could not understand this and whenever we visited she would try to force my son to be held, and he would cry and cry until she finally gave up and put him down. Eventually (months later) she came to terms with it and agreed that he's simply not like the other babies that she's been around and put him in his chair where he obviously felt more comfortable. Now that he's older and walking on his own, he will come over and give us hugs, but only on his terms. If we try to hug him longer than he's willing, he'll throw a fit and wiggle out of our arms.

He is showing other early signs of autism such as hand/arm flapping, spinning, lack of separation/stranger anxiety, obsession with parts of objects, repetitive behaviors and vocalizations, speech delay and soothing with objects. Considering that both my husband and I have AS (in the process of being diagnosed, but professionals seem to be in agreement so far), I would be surprised to find out that he's not on the spectrum at this point. He's starting the assessment process tomorrow morning.

That's very interesting. Thanks.