Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2012, 3:53 pm

I have tried sales before and found it wasn't for me. However, I do work on the phones every day at work. I deliver pizza and the phones are one of my responsibilities. Dealing with the public is one of the worst experiences you can have because, yes, they really are all idiots. They get indignant towards me for asking the kind of crust they want, or other benign questions that are necessary to complete their order. Usually they do not call me names (it does still happen though). I think this comes down to my language skills. I sound authoritative and educated and this intimidates them. I do this by design and have worked on it for years. I have been told by others that I am intimidating to talk to, and have even learned second hand that my superiors and, in some cases, store owners, are very intimidated by me because they fear I will expose their ignorance. It's a case of taking a typical aspie characteristic and using it to my advantage. They won't fire me because they know I will bring legal consequences on them if at all possible and that I note every little thing that goes on for just such an occasion. That, and I rarely ever screw up.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2012, 4:42 pm

See, retail has never been too difficult for me. I can stock a shelf, run a cash register and make just enough small talk to be passable. I have never before had to "sell" things. I have never had to ask people to buy stuff.

And another thing today. The manager told me that I was not to schedule appointments again until I could spend a day following the service manager around. Apparently I overbooked us, even after being told we could squeeze the customer in. I had two customers today ask for appointments, I referred him to the service manager who then handed me the schedule and told me to schedule the appointment.

Im told to pass tire calls to the TE, because its company policy. The TE tells me to take the call, then berates me because I quoted the wrong price for the service.

Im about ready to snap.