Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Darialan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Oct 2012, 4:10 pm

article here

I read this and these were my thoughts as I posted the article on my fb.

Nothing will EVER replace the mouse and certainly not some trashy touchpad! They SUCK! How the hell can you get things done with these? I had to turn off the "tap-to-click" "feature," because somehow those ding-dong things think that you want to tap sometimes when you really want to move the arrow. Hell, I ended up deleting a long freaking e-mail due to one of these trashy pads. I don't like what this guy is selling. It's a mouse or nothing for me!

Who's with me?

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2012, 4:18 pm

Who wants one of those systems anyways? Sure they may ship with a touchpad, but what's stopping anybody from getting a mouse at OfficeMax or wherever? --Sell the touchpad on eBay to somebody that wants it.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2012, 4:35 pm

I'd love to have a brain computer interface with no keyboard and no mouse/touchpad required.

No screen and no speakers would be nice, too. Project directly into the brain.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2012, 4:38 pm

Hmmm. If we actually could project sight and sound directly into the brain with a computer-brain interface, why not do smell as well?

Imagine being able to smell a recipe to decide whether or not you want to fix it.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2012, 5:44 pm

what is the point of a seperate touchpad when touchscreens have become so commonplace?

ina couple of years a 24 inch touchscreen will be well within reach of most desktop users.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Darialan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Oct 2012, 5:51 pm

Oodain wrote:
what is the point of a seperate touchpad when touchscreens have become so commonplace?

ina couple of years a 24 inch touchscreen will be well within reach of most desktop users.
That's very true. Still, you'll never be able to play a fps decent enough on a touchscreen.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2012, 6:06 pm

true, always hated touchpads for that as well,
perhaps we should just get the neural readers to the point where they can be used for looking, currently only singular keypresses can be entered as far as i know.
the emotiv epoch.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2012, 7:21 pm

Touchpads make my fingers cramp up after extended use. Sometimes not even extended. No thanks I'll stick with my mouse

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2012, 9:27 pm

I can't use a touchpad at all. It drives me nuts and I have to search for a mouse. Preferably my Logitech MX Revolution.

Touch screens are completely different, but I don't use those for the same things I use a PC for.

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2012, 10:03 pm

Apple has been replacing mice with touchpads. On the iMac/Mac Pros, you can substitute the normal wireless Magic Mouse for a wireless trackpad.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2012, 1:16 am

I have a HP 635 laptop, and it is impossible to turn off the touchpad! You can turn it off while the laptop is powered on, but rebooting it will turn the touchpad back on. Even worse, the USB mouse I use will not do some things with it, like waking it from sleep mode and relogging in. For that, ONLY the touchpad will work. Everybody I know loathes touchpads, and uses a USB mouse.

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2012, 3:21 am

eric76 wrote:
I'd love to have a brain computer interface with no keyboard and no mouse/touchpad required.

No screen and no speakers would be nice, too. Project directly into the brain.

The scary aspect of your post is that someday that might be a reality. The human race might as well become a race of mindless zombies controlled by an all powerful government.

In regards to the touchpad, I believe that in time people will be more accepting of them as they are subjected to it more. I agree touchpads are annoying and I own a Windows 7 laptop that has one. The times I do use the laptop (maybe once a week) the sessions are brief so I'll just use the touchpad. If I have to do something important on it, I'll use the mouse :)

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2012, 5:59 am

My laptop came with a touchpad but I hate it. Unfortunately it didn't have a button to turn it off so I ended up downloading some touchpad software just to disable the device! I use a USB mouse - far better and no accidental clicks. The touchpad was a sod for misinterpreting accidental touches by the heel of my hand as clicks and sent the mouse flying off in random directions or clicked random things. Touch pads are rubbish.

largosan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Oct 2012, 4:08 pm

Has this company failed to notice that 50+% of laptop users carry a real mouse with them everywhere? This will never take off.

nokosage
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Oct 2012, 6:16 pm

I usually use a graphics tablet to navigate on my main desktop PC, it allows me to draw better than I could with either the mouse or the touchpad.
I plug in a mouse occasionally, having a mouse is very important if you want to play most computer games properly and be any good at them.
But I don't see any advantages to a touchpad, really.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2012, 6:57 pm

nokosage wrote:
I usually use a graphics tablet to navigate on my main desktop PC, it allows me to draw better than I could with either the mouse or the touchpad.
I plug in a mouse occasionally, having a mouse is very important if you want to play most computer games properly and be any good at them.
But I don't see any advantages to a touchpad, really.

I've thought about getting graphics tablet before to help with problems from carpal tunnel. How does it work with a graphics tablet? Does the place you are "writing" corresponding to a particular point on the screen?